So who of you is brave enough?
Nov 22, 2006 at 9:03 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 10

digitalmind

Headphoneus Supremus
http://cgi.ebay.nl/Grado-RS1-RS-1-Re...QQcmdZViewItem

Ok, which one of you is it that'll be restoring these?

In all seriousness, for how much would Grado repair these? I didn't expect them to go for this much, especially since it seems like the driver needs replacing. As far as I know, this is virtually impossible, and it's easier to just replace the entire side. Seeing as how the buyer is from the US and the RS-1 is in the UK, this'll add tax. Together with the repairs needed, I'm not sure if it'll end up being cheaper than just buying one in good shape to begin with. Then again, if he has plans to do various mods this might be the ticket. And there's the chance that the buyer is able to do the repairs himself -- in that case, more power to him!

Looking at the box, are these one of the first or a newer one?

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:08 PM Post #2 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by digitalmind /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Looking at the box, are these one of the first or a newer one?

It looks like a relatively old one. The outer box is now made of white corrugated cardboard (like a pizza box) with a label on it. Also, the foam is now black instead of green.

As you said, I'm not sure what the buyer is planning on doing with them. It is pretty tricky to remove the glued in driver assemblies from the wood cups.

Nov 22, 2006 at 10:24 PM Post #3 of 10
i've offered $350 but.. offer rejected
redface.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 12:53 AM Post #4 of 10
email Grado and ask-- for SR-60, they just have a standard fee ($25, if memory serves) no matter how broke your pair is-- and the pair I sent was broke indeed. I'm sure they'll quote you a repair price, though don't mention that you're not in the US (or they'll make you work through their vulture distributors) and do it ASAP, as they can be stunningly slow at email.

Nov 23, 2006 at 9:06 AM Post #6 of 10
Well, they would have been a fair deal at $350. Thing is, good used ones run around $500, so no is going to pay that much for a broken pair.

As for removing the glue, well, most glues have a solvent. More often, a heat gun is used to loosen the glue. It's easier than it sounds, too. Since the RS-1 is in production, I'm sure they can be fixed for a price.

If you can get them at a good price, I highly recommend the RS-1. It's an awesome headphone and it only runs second to the AKG K-1000 in my lineup. I love it.

Nov 23, 2006 at 10:00 AM Post #9 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by cantsleep /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i've offered $350 but.. offer rejected
redface.gif

Heh, that would've been more than what they went for now. Were you planning to try and fix it yourself (recabling with Cardas)?

Quote:

Originally Posted by facelvega /img/forum/go_quote.gif
email Grado and ask-- for SR-60, they just have a standard fee ($25, if memory serves) no matter how broke your pair is-- and the pair I sent was broke indeed. I'm sure they'll quote you a repair price, though don't mention that you're not in the US (or they'll make you work through their vulture distributors) and do it ASAP, as they can be stunningly slow at email.

I wasn't interested in this RS-1, I have one in perfect condition myself. I was just wondering how hard and expensive the repairs would be.

Quote:

Originally Posted by warrior05 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
i considered going for it but the seller said the headphones are 5 years old. that was old enough for me to be a bit gun shy. who knows what else might be wrong with them.

True, 5 years is old for a headphone who'se wood can be dented so easily. Still, a good old pair won't be worth much less than a newer one for asfar as I can tell from sales.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Well, they would have been a fair deal at $350. Thing is, good used ones run around $500, so no is going to pay that much for a broken pair.

As for removing the glue, well, most glues have a solvent. More often, a heat gun is used to loosen the glue. It's easier than it sounds, too. Since the RS-1 is in production, I'm sure they can be fixed for a price.

If you can get them at a good price, I highly recommend the RS-1. It's an awesome headphone and it only runs second to the AKG K-1000 in my lineup. I love it.

Since this is a wood casing taking them apart is from what I know very hard and easy to screw up. Larry doesn't do the wood ones because they break easily. And, I've only seen two recabled RS-1's in pictures (One balanced, one singleended).

Quote:

Originally Posted by ldldick /img/forum/go_quote.gif
YE,RS1 is a good thing...i'll buy it someday...
blink.gif

Absolutely, I love mine!
rs1smile.gif

Nov 23, 2006 at 4:37 PM Post #10 of 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
As you said, I'm not sure what the buyer is planning on doing with them. It is pretty tricky to remove the glued in driver assemblies from the wood cups.

its not THAT bad.

you just have to know how to do it, and spend a little time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back