So, where to go from here...
Jan 1, 2011 at 1:28 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 7

wdahm519

500+ Head-Fier
Hey guys,

I'm back with another question that I really need your input on.  I'm kind of stuck actually.  I feel like I've collected a somewhat well-rounded collection of headphones for the kind of music I listen to, and I don't really know what I should be "saving up for" (aka, impulse buying) next.

What I've got right now is...

- Beyer DT990/250ohm 2005 Edition
- Audio Technica AD700
- Alessandro MS1i
- HeadRoom Total BitHead (can't really power more than about 300ohm's)
- Generous collection of FLAC music
- iPod Touch

I use the DT990's at home with the BitHead as a DAC/Amp, and that's my main set up (like right now, as I'm typing).  I use the MS1i's as my on the go headphones with my iPod and BitHead as an amp (yeah, doesn't do a lot but it does a little).  I don't use the AD700's that much but they JUST got back from repair so that may change.

I need to know what would be a good investment next?  Should I go higher up on the headphone chain, or should I invest in a better amp/dac set up for my desk?  Or even should I be thinking about recabling my DT990's.

So you know about the kind of sound signature I like......

I'm completely in love with the DT990's because of the way they sound.  They're ALMOST perfect.  They're just a little shrill on the high end when there is an airy female voice or something.  Other than that, complete heaven.  The AD700's lack a lot of bass, and bass is something I feel makes the sound signature feel more full and warm.  The MS1i's are great for on the go, and even though they don't have "full warm bass", its very punchy and I like it.

Got any suggestions for me?  Things that might fall within reason of synergy with my current set-up?

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:32 PM Post #3 of 7
Personally my plan would be to upgrade to an amp that could drive one of the big 3 very well (LCD-2, HD800, T1) and then buy one of them. There's a world of difference, IMO, between the current middle of the pack cans and the top ones and to me worth the investment to get into. That being said, I don't know anything about your amp and it's possible that it could drive them just fine.

If you like lots of detail/soundstage: T1/HD800
If you like a darker/smoother sound with thumping bass: LCD-2

Jan 1, 2011 at 1:49 PM Post #4 of 7
You should consider upgrading your amp and dac before going up the chain with headphones. If you do buy phones like T1, HD800 or LCD 2 with your current setup you will not like the sound. Infact you will hear a huge improvement in SQ with better amp and dac even with you current headphone collection.

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:13 PM Post #5 of 7

Quote:
You should consider upgrading your amp and dac before going up the chain with headphones. If you do buy phones like T1, HD800 or LCD 2 with your current setup you will not like the sound. Infact you will hear a huge improvement in SQ with better amp and dac even with you current headphone collection.

I understand what you mean.  I'd like to get a permanent desktop stack setup with a DAC and Amp, so I don't have to rely on my BitHead to do it all. 

Maybe I should move this to the amplification section...

Jan 1, 2011 at 4:53 PM Post #6 of 7
What kind of budget are you working with? Pascal suggested the cream of the crop, but that'll run you $2k.

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:47 PM Post #7 of 7
If you do end up  getting a DAC/amp upgrade then I would suggest getting some really good hardware and save yourself some money in the long run. What I mean by that is that had I been smart I would have skipped the "just OK" hardware and went straight to the middle/high end equipment (for my budget). 

Quote:
Quote:

I understand what you mean.  I'd like to get a permanent desktop stack setup with a DAC and Amp, so I don't have to rely on my BitHead to do it all. 

Maybe I should move this to the amplification section...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back