So what's on the grill?
Jul 3, 2009 at 7:14 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 25

wakeride74

Headphoneus Supremus
So, this is the official grill recipe thread, Here in the states we are gearing up for the 4th o July holiday to celebrate our Independence.

Tonight we made some chicken wings and had a glaze with Pineapple pure puree, honey, garlic, 2 red peppers, soy sauce, olive oil, cumin, and cilantro. The plan was to try and skewer them but they just ended up on the grill.

Anyone have some family secrets or famous recipe for the ultimate summertime BBQ they want to share?

Yes, pics are welcome!

Jul 3, 2009 at 2:28 PM Post #3 of 25
Did you put a lot of booze in that sauce?
wink.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 3:32 PM Post #4 of 25
I just finished off the last of my most awesome hamburgers last night, and need to make some more patties. My recipe is flexible, but must contain:
- regular (not lean) ground beef
- bread crumbs
- egg
- lots and lots of minced garlic, and then some more for luck
- a big squirt of Dijon mustard
- Worcestershire sauce
- hot sauce
- salt and pepper

It's not fancy, but it's very tasty!

Jul 3, 2009 at 5:19 PM Post #5 of 25
^ Wow, that's almost exactly what I am going to do today, except scratch the garlic, go with A1, diced onions, jalapenos, with a pinch of cilantro.

Stop by for a cold one and we'll do a taste off.
darthsmile.gif

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:20 PM Post #6 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Homeless /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Did you put a lot of booze in that sauce?
wink.gif

lol
I actually only had a couple drinks last night but was dozing off as I wrote this. *fixed
biggrin.gif

those burgers sound jammin! I think I'd do a less garlic, more onion, hold the hot sauce, and add some claussen stackers or maybe some sharp cheddar and thick cut bacon.

Jul 3, 2009 at 7:24 PM Post #7 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by wakeride74 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
lol
I actually only had a couple drinks last night but was dozing off as I wrote this. *fixed
biggrin.gif

those burgers sound jammin! I think I'd do a less garlic, more onion, hold the hot sauce, and add some claussen stackers or maybe some sharp cheddar and thick cut bacon.

See, I've always seen bacon as an unnecessary addition to a burger. Thick ham I find to be much better. I'd have to see about some mushrooms too... yum, now I'm hungry.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:27 PM Post #9 of 25
I like to cook corn quickly with the husks off. The sugar quickly caramelizes and the corn tastes great with a little butter salt and pepper.

Another thing we have done for a long time is grind our own meat for burgers. I normally use a mixture of chuck and round steak especially when there is a sale. Freshly ground meat is so much better than anything you get in the store. I like to grind it a little coarser than store bought. When I am having company the burger meat is mixed with salt pepper and a little Worcestershire sauce. Then grilled medium. I serve them on homemade buns (link below) with blue or cheddar cheese. As toppings I offer lettuce, tomatoes, onions, grilled peppers, mayonnaise and mustard. If requested I also sprinkle Montreal seasoning on the meat before grilling.

Recipes

We also like grilled asparagus. Delicious.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:33 PM Post #10 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by john_jcb /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Another thing we have done for a long time is grind our own meat for burgers. I normally use a mixture of chuck and round steak especially when there is a sale. Freshly ground meat is so much better than anything you get in the store.

Agreed 100%, but I often find myself too lazy to do the grinding step and just end up with steaks.

Sort of on topic, how does everyone like their steak done? I am a "knock off the horns, wipe its ass, and chase it past the grill" person. If my baked potato is not bloody red, the steak is overdone. I've never, ever sent a steak back for being underdone, but lots for being overdone. Cool center = heaven.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:49 PM Post #11 of 25
I have been using the Thai sweet chilli sauce (you can find that in any supermarkert)as an alternative to normal barbecue sauce and everyone likes it. it goes with chicken wings and shrimps extremely well.

Jul 3, 2009 at 9:53 PM Post #12 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by tenzip /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Agreed 100%, but I often find myself too lazy to do the grinding step and just end up with steaks.

Sort of on topic, how does everyone like their steak done? I am a "knock off the horns, wipe its ass, and chase it past the grill" person. If my baked potato is not bloody red, the steak is overdone. I've never, ever sent a steak back for being underdone, but lots for being overdone. Cool center = heaven.

Medium-rare

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:10 AM Post #13 of 25
bacon is jewelry for food and it goes with almost everything
wink.gif

I like my steak med-rare and like portabella mushrooms, peppers, artichoke, and corn grilled. We usually shave it off the cob after and toss it with salt, butter, fresh lime juice, and ancho chili powder.

I've never ground my own hamburger before but that sounds fantastic. I have some excellent butchers near by so it would be just as easy to ask them. What would be a good cut to have them grind up for me?

btw - One of the places near by has a great slogan - "You can lick out chops but you can't beat our meat"
tongue.gif

Jul 4, 2009 at 2:13 AM Post #14 of 25
Quote:

Originally Posted by Uncle Erik /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone else like to throw veggies on the grill? Dropping corn - husks on - on the grill gives great results. So do many others!

Yes, after being soaked in brine. It's a wonderful thing that I can't enjoy... stupid braces. (and stupid word filters)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back