So what's Hong Kong Like?
Jan 12, 2008 at 1:53 PM Post #16 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Born2bwire /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm going to be finishing up the last few years of my doctorate out in Hong Kong. My advisor is the dean of the engineering college at Hong Kong University and I've got the chance to go out there come August to finish my studies. Just wanted to know if anyone can give me an impression on what I should expect out there, particularly with my complete lack of language skills past the occasional gesture (vulgar and otherwise).

You ever been to Vancouver?
biggrin.gif

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:19 PM Post #17 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
retail spaces are pretty generous (and inefficient) with ac so when walking past storefronts you will feel like being hit by a tidal wave of cold air.

That was actually a pretty cool experience in my opinion. Though I did get tired of it a bit, since it fogged my glasses up every time as I left the stores.

It's like...inside the store everything is comfortable. As you walk closer to the exit you walk through 2-3 different layers of air. It gets slightly warmer/humider, then you hit the strong part with the AC blasting straight down (feels great), and then you've finally exited and feel like you're drowning in air. (a hot and humid thick air)

Jan 12, 2008 at 2:33 PM Post #18 of 53
Hot and humid, but not quite Singapore-Malaysia-hot 'n humid.

The sheer number of restaurants and shops is simply mind-boggling. There are more than a handful of pretty massive shopping centers that will certainly meet 99% of your shopping/eating needs.

People generally understand English and most are also proficient in both Mandarin and Cantonese.

Daily living expenses/standards are much lower than in European countries but more expensive than many other Asian countries.

The hifi scene is very much alive and caters for all budgets (and those without one
wink.gif
). There are two major hifi shows on each year which showcase all the big, international names in hifi. There is no lack of audio-visual stores either and most prices can be negotiated.

Nightlife is also pretty good. Selection of pubs and bars may be limited compared to other large European cities though...

Public transport is very good. It's usually pretty efficient, comfortable, clean and priced reasonably. Traffic jams can be crippling, but because Hong Kong isn't that big, you never really get stuck for longer than half an hour to an hour.

Believe it or not, there's quite a bit of "country-side" to explore. The southern side of the main Island is gorgeous. The northern part of the peninsula, New Territories, is full of wild-life eg Mai Po Marshes. There is a nice park and botanical gardens bang in the middle of the economic centre of the city, Central. There are also many small islands scattered around Hong Kong to be appreciated (superb seafood!) and transport to and fro the popular ones is cheap and convenient.

All in all, Hong Kong is one amazing city (no modesty here!). If you can get past the hot, humid climate, the sometimes smoggy, polluted air (in busy areas), I would certainly recommend Hong Kong as a very pleasant and prosperous city to live in!

Jan 14, 2008 at 2:34 AM Post #20 of 53
The biggest budget-killer in HK is rent. But if you can get into some student accommodation then you're set.

Food and clothes: HK caters for almost literally all budgets. You can be as prodigal as you want, but you can have a really satisfying meal for very little. However, prices are rising since 2008, now that the US dollar (to which the HK dolloar is pegged) is dropping against the Chinese currency.

Cultural events: better than most people think. Government sponsored concerts (often with international big names) are quite affordable. Concerts held by private organisers are extortionate, and usually held in places with unforgivable acoustics -- but then they're your only chance to see Bjork live.

Jan 14, 2008 at 11:43 AM Post #21 of 53
Quote:

The biggest budget-killer in HK is rent.

It must be, because I remember meeting someone who shall remain nameless and It's about 1:00AM and we are both asleep in a high-rise, only to be awakened by a female whom I had not met that climbed into the same bed. She had just gotten off work. No.....we were all three asleep 10 minutes later. But thats how crowded it was.

Jan 20, 2008 at 2:08 AM Post #22 of 53
Some recent computer debate reminds me of one thing: For a city so compact and so totally obsessed about telecommunication, Hong Kong is surprisingly backward concerning WiFi coverage; hotspots are found only in cafes and big shopping arcades. The reason is mainly corporate greed: they want to limit WiFi access to places where people spend money.

Jan 20, 2008 at 9:41 AM Post #23 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by amphead /img/forum/go_quote.gif
It must be, because I remember meeting someone who shall remain nameless and It's about 1:00AM and we are both asleep in a high-rise, only to be awakened by a female whom I had not met that climbed into the same bed. She had just gotten off work. No.....we were all three asleep 10 minutes later. But thats how crowded it was.

LOL! Hong Kong ain't so bad then, is it...
wink.gif

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:06 AM Post #24 of 53
they have internet cafes that are unparalleled in activity/availability anywhere else though. it is probably less trendy to pack a laptop everywhere and I'm unclear about the 3G phone situation there.

Jan 20, 2008 at 10:20 AM Post #25 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Csidinim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
they have internet cafes that are unparalleled in activity/availability anywhere else though. it is probably less trendy to pack a laptop everywhere and I'm unclear about the 3G phone situation there.

3G is not a hit, and is likely to go obsolete before there is any significant market penetration.

Jan 21, 2008 at 12:34 AM Post #27 of 53
HK born and raised here, although I did spend a good 6+ years of my life in and around NYC. I live right by HKU
smily_headphones1.gif
Yes, summers are brutal, but you get used to 'em. I try and walk around as little as possible before ducking back into the AC in summer because of the heat and humidity. I turn into a dripping mess pretty quickly. I pretty much have the airconditioning on all day when I'm home.

Drinks and food (western-style) are expensive, especially in LKF and Wanchai (the touristy areas). $11 US for a mixed drink is fairly common in LKF. Rent is high too, but you'll save bundles by taking public transportation. Less than 3% of the population own cars here. HK isn't as reasonable as it used to be either. I end up buying lots of stuff I need from the US because it just works out cheaper, even with shipping.

Oh yeah, I use unlimited GPRS on my PDA phone. $25 US gets me unlimited GPRS and wifi. It's nice to read and reply to your e-mail on the MTR, our spotless subway.
smily_headphones1.gif

I do lug my little Fujitsu around every day. Every Starbucks and PCC (Pacific Coffee Company, which sucks) has Wifi from the major providers in town, but you need an account to log on.

Check out geoexpat.com for your HK questions. I have over 2000 posts on there.

Jan 22, 2008 at 9:59 PM Post #29 of 53
I am a HKer.
If you come to Hong Kong in August, please be reminded : Stay Indoor !
I get sweaty in 3 seconds in summer time if i step out of any air-conditioned area (well i am overweighted )..

Yes, it is crowded, fast-paced and possibly the safest place on the planet (unless your hometown is in Japan)

For details, take a look in Free Worldwide Travel Guides - Wikitravel

Jan 22, 2008 at 10:31 PM Post #30 of 53
I was there in early July (10 anniversary celebration) and was expecting the worst, but I gotta say, I got used to the humidity after a few days. But then I was wearing shorts/Tevas/t-shirt, and walked leasurely, they can spot me right away in fast-paced HK.

Apparently short/Tevas/t-shirt is not so kosher in the Kowloon Club 'cuz they gave me socks for wear (clean feet, nothing disgusting). Well if image is more important than sensible comfort, I guess that's why u maybe sweating big time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back