So what's Hong Kong Like?
Jan 11, 2008 at 4:50 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 53

Born2bwire

25+ Member ;-)
I'm going to be finishing up the last few years of my doctorate out in Hong Kong. My advisor is the dean of the engineering college at Hong Kong University and I've got the chance to go out there come August to finish my studies. Just wanted to know if anyone can give me an impression on what I should expect out there, particularly with my complete lack of language skills past the occasional gesture (vulgar and otherwise).

EDIT: I haven't popped in lately so I won't make a thread about this but does the site just crawl for anyone else?

Jan 11, 2008 at 4:58 AM Post #2 of 53
First thing: brace yourself for large crowds -- I mean large. Most people know simple English, but don't expect literature majors.

If you have any specific questions, just let us know; or you may hang out in this forum, which is quite helpful for expats stranded in the territory for a while.

P.S. Is it Max in your avatar. I love S&M!

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:04 AM Post #3 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First thing: brace yourself for large crowds -- I mean large. Most people know simple English, but don't expect literature majors.

If you have any specific questions, just let us know; or you may hang out in this forum, which is quite helpful for expats stranded in the territory for a while.

P.S. Is it Max in your avatar. I love S&M!

If I recall correctly, it's a scan of a sketch of Max that I blackmailed from Steve Purcell.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:12 AM Post #4 of 53
As far as English goes, Hong Kong is very tourist friendly so most people there will know how to speak English. The public transportation is excellent. Even with millions of people, the subways remain spotlessly clean and its extremely efficient. Crime is hardly an issue there, the most common being pickpockets. The biggest problem as far as I can see is overpopulation, the city is extremely cramped.

For some people, this may not be much of a problem, but I think Hong Kong's summers are pretty bad. The humidity is pretty nasty.

Jan 11, 2008 at 5:28 AM Post #5 of 53
I'm hoping to go on exchange to Hong Kong for a term next year. I hear there's some good audio equipment to be found there... ? ... I hope so anyways!

*Crossing my fingers*

Jan 11, 2008 at 9:59 AM Post #6 of 53
Hong Kong(HK) is the diy audio enthusiast's dream location for sure. Enjoy!

Jan 11, 2008 at 1:26 PM Post #7 of 53
As long as you're not vegetarian and don't mind the sharp contrasts between standards of living (Kowloon shanty towns vs Hong Kong Island's affluent parts) you'll be fine
wink.gif

Jan 11, 2008 at 2:37 PM Post #8 of 53
you'll either love or hate hong kong. and because u are not living there, you'll prolly like it. its definitely be something you've never experienced, expect to see many high rises and a city built on speed. shopping is first rate.

Jan 11, 2008 at 6:31 PM Post #10 of 53
It's more civilized than I remembered, althought taxis drivers can still be rude.

Amazingly, even though it's noisy (just too many ppl), but I notice ppl don't speak *that* loud like ugly Americans. Subway have cell connections but I never felt imprisoned to hear others' stupid calls.

Shopping paradise if u don't mind buying no-brands. And don't forget to ask for the famous Golden Arcades shopping center.

I believe the expats concentrates on the south side of HK island.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:23 AM Post #11 of 53
Yes I'd say we have a top-tier traffic system here: despite the large population and their numerous cars, traffic jams are surprisingly uncommon. Public transport will take you virtually everywhere, and owning a car is discouraged, by both the high register tax, and the extortionate parking fees in the busier parts of the city.

Cell phones are a problem: there is no moment of silence when you are riding on a bus. Although, through years of education efforts, people at long last have learned to turn the buggers off during concerts. Cinemas are another story.

The epidemic of video-taking cell phones, combined with the populace's fascination with mobile communication, has turned the territory into a post-Orwellian utopia: we are playing Big Brother to each other. Do anything funny in public, and your mug will be on Youtube. You're forewarned!

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:18 AM Post #12 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by FalconP /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Cinemas are another story.

Old HK joke -

Some HK'er phones his friend and goes, man am watching this $^%& boring movie, what you are u doing?

Friend2: yeah? what movie are u watching.

Friend1: Blah-blah.

Friend2: Hey, I am watching the same movie!

Friend1: turns around and see friend2 3 rows back.

Jan 12, 2008 at 5:20 AM Post #13 of 53
Well, I went to HK a decade ago during the summer. Let me tell you, it's extremely humid and hot. I sweat after 3 minutes stepping out of my hotel. It's almost like they have the heater on all the time during the summer. I'm not sure about the winter though but I've heard it's still pretty hot.

It's also overcrowded. During peak hours, it was extremely hard for me to walk around. The subway system is very good though and you can pretty much travel to most places via the subway.

Jan 12, 2008 at 7:23 AM Post #14 of 53
not so much the effect of heat but that of the humidity, since it is surrounded by ocean. spontaneous bursts of rain are common. combined with summer temperatures, it is very uncomfortable and the air takes a day to adjust to when breathing (you wonder if people around you require oxygen). sticky, humid, loud and busy all the time- like being trapped at a frat party. retail spaces are pretty generous (and inefficient) with ac so when walking past storefronts you will feel like being hit by a tidal wave of cold air. I think once you can get past the torturous climate you will really enjoy the culture.

Jan 12, 2008 at 12:52 PM Post #15 of 53
Right, HK's humidity does strange things to the weather -- don't trust the temperature readings: summers in Hong Kong are hotter, winters colder, than the mercury would have you expect. In summer, the humidity prevents sweat from evaporating; in winter, the wet air seeps through layers of clothes and robs you of warmth. This is why even Europeans find temperatures below 10 degree centigrade (which is quite rare in recent years) intolerable in Hong Kong. This, plus the fact that few buildings have central heating.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back