So what's Hong Kong Like?
Feb 7, 2008 at 5:09 AM Post #32 of 53
For the HK'ers -- is it possible to get a prepaid SIM card that has a (GPRS?) data plan? For short trips I use to just get or recharge an Orange prepaid sim card for voice. But would be nice if I can get data for a laptop.

Related question -- what would be a good phone for use as GPRS modem, or should I try to get a PC Card?

Sep 27, 2008 at 12:56 PM Post #33 of 53
Well moved in about two weeks ago. Bloody humidity is about my only complaint but I can deal with it. The temperatures are reminiscent of Georgia so it isn't something I haven't seen before. It's not as crowded as I was expecting, a lot of people but nothing insane. Only thing that bothers me besides the humidity is that only a few restaurants that I have seen have English so my dining options are very limited. Now I need to find stuff to do while I'm here. Would be nice to find a decent pub with some good Bavarian beers (mmmmm.... Franciskaner Radler...).

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:02 PM Post #34 of 53
I'm from Hong Kong, and I go back every year.

All I can say is, prepare to have your wallet blown open due to how cheap stuff is in Hong Kong. Its why I don't spend much in Australia, than go back to Hong Kong for one big spending spree (Head-fi monthly spendings don't count).

Another thing is that you may gain some weight in HK, since food is a) Cheap, b) plentiful and c) lots of variety.

Lots of foreigners seem to love Hong Kong, so yeah. Just make sure when you go shopping you go with a local, otherwise they'll try and rip you off since you're a "tourist".

If you want to go Audio shopping, there are 2 places I recommend:
1) http://www.mingo-hmw.com/
2) http://www.headphonehk.com/

Hope you enjoy HK! Post some pics!

Sep 27, 2008 at 1:28 PM Post #35 of 53
Welcome!

Humidity gets worse in spring! It is already bearable now. Actually some of the local noodle shops do have English translations of the menu - just ask.

Mingo recently opened a retail outlet in Wanchai Computer Mall (I read in a local PC weekly mag) - but Mingo's prices tend to be higher than others.

As for crowded, if does get mad on weekend afternoons in Causeway Bay and Mong Kok. Also large crowds prior to Christmas.

Sep 27, 2008 at 4:21 PM Post #37 of 53
Yeah I already know I've overpaid for a few things. But I don't mind too much about it, it's cheaper than what I was paying for equivalent products/services in the US and I am making as much money here as I did back in the States so everything is pretty much a relative bargain. I just chalk it up to not having to deal with the hassle of bartering with people who can't understand me.

Sep 27, 2008 at 5:01 PM Post #38 of 53
Have you seen any of those lovely HK actresses ?
biggrin.gif

Sep 27, 2008 at 11:08 PM Post #39 of 53
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jubei /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Welcome!

Humidity gets worse in spring! It is already bearable now. Actually some of the local noodle shops do have English translations of the menu - just ask.

Mingo recently opened a retail outlet in Wanchai Computer Mall (I read in a local PC weekly mag) - but Mingo's prices tend to be higher than others.

As for crowded, if does get mad on weekend afternoons in Causeway Bay and Mong Kok. Also large crowds prior to Christmas.

Really?! I've been away from the Mingo forums for too long...
ph34r.gif

Sep 28, 2008 at 3:25 AM Post #45 of 53
Not just those. If you keep in touch with HK media (which I don't do much), you'll notice just how ugly the current ones are.

Quote:

Originally Posted by Rednamalas1 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
^ fine by me.

Not when they look like pigs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back