So, the Objective2 headphone amp - designed entirely around the measurements? (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)
Sep 15, 2011 at 10:10 AM Post #721 of 1,042

Quote:
Definitely not as powerful, so no driving the HE-6 
wink.gif

Unfortunately not much more can be said about it because the measurements on Head-Direct are too vague.

And suspiciously optimistic.

That 96dB SNR seems very 'thoretical'
tongue.gif

Sep 15, 2011 at 10:48 AM Post #722 of 1,042

Perhaps the measurements of the TDA1308 and PCM2702E would help?

I haven't pried it open to look at what else is inside.

I know the O2 will be be a better amp, was just thinking on price to performance ratio and such.

Maybe Hifiman HM-101 DAC -> Objective2 Amp = win?

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:17 PM Post #723 of 1,042
In moderately exciting news, the DIYAudio GB has now closed at 750 boards. In a few short weeks, we will have more "impressions" of this amp than we know what to do with.
I hope at least one person calls it "clinical" or "unmusical", so I can laugh at them.

Sep 15, 2011 at 12:29 PM Post #724 of 1,042
I'm hoping for some negative reviews. It brings balance to the force.

Sep 15, 2011 at 1:57 PM Post #726 of 1,042

Quote:
In moderately exciting news, the DIYAudio GB has now closed at 750 boards. In a few short weeks, we will have more "impressions" of this amp than we know what to do with.
I hope at least one person calls it "clinical" or "unmusical", so I can laugh at them.

Doubt it, I built a prototype amp a few years ago with the same configuration of paralleled output NJM4556 chips. Those chips do sound nice in the output. It's was purely a subjective and accidental selection on my part though. I didn't set out to design it using objective measurements. I'm glad someone was able to partially validate my subjective impression with objective measurements.

Sep 15, 2011 at 4:17 PM Post #727 of 1,042
Quote:
I'm hoping for some negative reviews. It brings balance to the force.

Well, its not perfect.  I'm sure some people will use some headphones it legitimately can't drive to decent levels and not like it as much because of that.

It handles most 'phones just fine which I think is pretty cool for what the parts cost.  There has been talk about increasing the voltage of the power supply rails on the desktop version and/or using higher current buffer chips to get enough power to be able to cover everything but what it comes down to is that the necessary parts will raise the cost quite a bit for everyone and only benefit a small number of users so the idea runs counter to the O2's design goals.

Its not for everyone's collection of 'phones, but it should be for most people's.

Sep 16, 2011 at 2:08 AM Post #730 of 1,042

Quote:

I'll pick one up when I head to Japan for Christmas, it's a little expensive, heh, so I don't really want to buy it blind. I think it will pair nicely with the DIY T2.

DIY T2 > SR-009, I can think of no better rig to use with my ~96kbps mp3's.

It's gonna be fun trolling at the next years Sydney meet. 2x DIY T2, Blue Hawaii, 2x KGSSHV. Oh, I'll bring the Obj2 and the beta22 as well, ahahah.

Sorry, I have read no longer through this thread... Let me just be the first to say, I'm buying a ticket to Sydney.
tongue.gif
It'd be radical. When are you bringing these bad boys out to play again?!

Sep 16, 2011 at 6:28 AM Post #731 of 1,042
Quote:
Do you know where you'll be and roughly when?
IF I get this stupid thesis done in time I may head over in early Jan.

I'll be in Tokyo from about 21st Dec to the 5th of Jan, it should be short and sweet ^^. Best of luck with the thesis =P (and the beast).

Quote:
Put them under a cloth, volume match and make people guess which is which
very_evil_smiley.gif

You are just full of good ideas, I'll remember to do that when the time comes ahahahah. I'll also throw together a desktop version one, bridged, for more power. You know, it has to be a fair comparison with a balanced b22.
wink.gif

Quote:
Sorry, I have read no longer through this thread... Let me just be the first to say, I'm buying a ticket to Sydney.
tongue.gif
It'd be radical. When are you bringing these bad boys out to play again?!

Dunno, I hope the meet will be sometime mid-yearish, everything should be done by then. Hopefully, I can pull off a n3rdling and let the Stax blow people away. There probably won't be many people at the meet, so everyone should have heaps of head time with the Stax.

Sep 16, 2011 at 7:22 AM Post #732 of 1,042

Quote:
Dunno, I hope the meet will be sometime mid-yearish, everything should be done by then. Hopefully, I can pull off a n3rdling and let the Stax blow people away. There probably won't be many people at the meet, so everyone should have heaps of head time with the Stax.

You talking about a normal meet or mini-meet?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back