So, the Objective2 headphone amp - designed entirely around the measurements? (PLEASE READ RULES BEFORE POSTING)
Oct 23, 2011 at 3:04 PM Post #903 of 1,042
Quote:
Isn't that really cheap compared to what they cost normally? I'm getting 2 if I can o.o 1 for me to probably ruin with my lack of skills, and one for me to ask (pay) someone more experienced to do.

Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what you mean, but what's being offered on JDSLabs is just the PCB, no other parts.  The technical docs specifying the layout of the PCB are freely available, but actual boards with all the right traces, holes, solder mask, etc. do not since that kind of stuff costs money to make, obviously.

$10 is a reasonable price, and about what was expected, considering that the seller wants to make money.  I'm not sure if they have a "normal" cost since they're not really available elsewhere.  The ~900 PCB group buy came to something around 1 GBP per board plus shipping (a couple / few more GBP), because manufacturing those PCBs in bulk saves a lot of money per board.

Oct 23, 2011 at 3:29 PM Post #904 of 1,042

Quote:
Hopefully I'm not misunderstanding what you mean, but what's being offered on JDSLabs is just the PCB, no other parts.  The technical docs specifying the layout of the PCB are freely available, but actual boards with all the right traces, holes, solder mask, etc. do not since that kind of stuff costs money to make, obviously.

$10 is a reasonable price, and about what was expected, considering that the seller wants to make money.  I'm not sure if they have a "normal" cost since they're not really available elsewhere.  The ~900 PCB group buy came to something around 1 GBP per board plus shipping (a couple / few more GBP), because manufacturing those PCBs in bulk saves a lot of money per board.

Now I'm confused. It has a solder mask, holes, and traces. You just don't get the diodes, caps, resistors, sockets, knob, etc...
The group buy was about the same price per board but with shipping included. At JDS you have to pay additional for shipping. So you save a few bucks from the group buys but nothing crazy unless you buy more than a few. I was just providing this as an alternative if people can't get into the group buys on time and they can't wait for the next wave.

United States Shipping Rates: 

u.gif
 USPS First Class - $3.30 
u.gif
 USPS Priority - $6.25 
u.gif
 USPS Express Mail - $18.80 
u.gif
 UPS Ground - $11.56 
u.gif
 UPS 2nd Day Air - $23.10 
u.gif
 UPS Next Day Saver - $39.65 

International Shipping Rates: 
u.gif
 International Economy (Uninsured) - $6.30 
u.gif
 Standard International (Recommended) - $7.30 
u.gif
 International Priority Air - $16.45 
u.gif
 International Express - $29.80 
u.gif
 Global Priority - $50.95 

Oct 23, 2011 at 4:52 PM Post #905 of 1,042
The group buy was about £2.80 per board, so it is a bit more expensive, but nothing wholly unreasonable. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:02 PM Post #906 of 1,042
Very intrested in the O2 as a diy build, think I've spent as much as the rough cost of this build on 2 cmoy builds and  some extra opamps for rolling :frowning2: ... at least I've gained some good basic building skills...

Question; though designed as a portable amp, can the pcb be used for destop implementation if mounted in a different case. Rear mounted RCA phono inputs would be preferable to the front jack input.

Quick search with my local parts supplier (RS Components) shows the spec'd NJM4556AD as a disontinued product!? ...

Oct 23, 2011 at 5:50 PM Post #907 of 1,042
Quote:
Very intrested in the O2 as a diy build, think I've spent as much as the rough cost of this build on 2 cmoy builds and  some extra opamps for rolling :frowning2: ... at least I've gained some good basic building skills...

Question; though designed as a portable amp, can the pcb be used for destop implementation if mounted in a different case. Rear mounted RCA phono inputs would be preferable to the front jack input.

Quick search with my local parts supplier (RS Components) shows the spec'd NJM4556AD as a disontinued product!? ...

Yes you can toss RCA jacks on it, that's what I've done with mine, although, you might want to wait for the proper desktop version (I have no idea what the changes would be).

Sour about that component availability =/, there's still plenty over at mouser.

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:28 PM Post #908 of 1,042
Any word of whether it will power a 600ohm beast like beyer's or sextetts?

Oct 23, 2011 at 6:56 PM Post #910 of 1,042
@ Deadlylover: thanks, just checked mouser & yes lots of the 4556AD's in stock, but €20 is very steep for duty/p&p ... I'll try finding some UK stock first.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:03 PM Post #911 of 1,042

Quote:

I understand it's just the board, no components. Still, the idea that it would cost around 30$ just for the board formed in my head. Good to know I was wrong 
wink.gif
 and the shipping isn't anything too extravagant either!

Quote:

Yes you can toss RCA jacks on it, that's what I've done with mine, although, you might want to wait for the proper desktop version (I have no idea what the changes would be).

Sour about that component availability =/, there's still plenty over at mouser.

I never read anything about a desktop version on his blog, but it's the second time I'm hearing of this. Any word of when it will come out?

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:08 PM Post #912 of 1,042
Quote:

I never read anything about a desktop version on his blog, but it's the second time I'm hearing of this. Any word of when it will come out?

As a complete shot in the dark, sometime before the end of this year. And as far as I know, it's got a different power supply and relays for the output. I think he's doing something about the input stage clipping as well.

Oct 23, 2011 at 7:39 PM Post #913 of 1,042
Anyone finish building this yet? 

I ordered the PCBs and front panels through the group buys on DIYaudio. All of the mouser parts were ordered, so those should be arriving mid-week. The volume knobs all seemed to be backordered (in every color), so my hand was forced to get the nicer metal knobs from Digi-Key (2 for about $10 incl. shipping). For me, the final price ended up being $76 including PCB, board parts, upgraded volume knob, front panel, casing, power supply and batteries.

Good to see that JDS Labs is offering the PCBs. I bought a couple of the spares from Olli just to have around, but they ended up costing about the same as JDS Labs's price. 

Oct 23, 2011 at 11:17 PM Post #915 of 1,042
I'm paying (ahem..) somewhat more for a 'turnkey' complete amp, but considering that it will be 'Made in the UK' (!), I still think getting an amp delivered to Oz for less than 200 USD all up is a bargain. I paid considerably more than 200 AUD for the uHA-120, also made in the UK, and it will make for an interesting comparison, albeit one without detailed measurements for Justin's amp. Also very keen to see the various housings/configurations DiYers come up with for this amp.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back