So the NEW Dr Dre Beats Solo HD came out just a while ago...
May 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #76 of 228

Quote:
D1001, M50, ES7, HD25, SRH440, SRH840, XB700... I can go on forever.

I'm with yashu. The SRH 440 are boring and uncomfortable. Just not very musical.

May 16, 2010 at 4:49 PM Post #77 of 228

Quote:
does anyone in this thread own a mac? just wonderin after all this discussion haha

That's absurd.  We are talking about style OVER substance.  Not style + substance.  A headphone to compare to apple would be a phone that looks good and sounds good.  And is easy to use.  Grado HP1000?

May 16, 2010 at 4:51 PM Post #78 of 228
Quote:
I wonder how many people would jump off a cliff if the advertising industry made it look sexy

I wonder how many people would turn their noses up at anything with an incline greater than 60 degrees?

The absolute resentment of all things fashionable is almost as bad as the absolute obsession. Well, maybe not almost, but it's a stone's throw away. Middle grounds are great, people.

May 16, 2010 at 5:09 PM Post #79 of 228
I agree that the beats (Not the solo) look pretty nice, though AKG k701 owns it in style :p

Anyway after reading this thread, did someone actually comment on whether the Beats solo HD are good/bad? Because everyone is commenting on how bad the OLD beats (normal/solo) are. If that's the case, the normal beats are very very bad sounding, they sound hollow and thin.

May 16, 2010 at 5:29 PM Post #80 of 228

Quote:
I wonder how many people would turn their noses up at anything with an incline greater than 60 degrees?

The absolute resentment of all things fashionable is almost as bad as the absolute obsession. Well, maybe not almost, but it's a stone's throw away. Middle grounds are great, people.

Amen

May 16, 2010 at 6:00 PM Post #81 of 228
PLAYINGWITHFIRE

You got what I forgot, the padding! Hard for no reason. Same pleather as most fair pads, as in not the Sony flaky kind... anyway, I have no idea what it had to be so hard. It can'tmake a seal because the pads don't compress fully.

Those shrill things are made really really well, and they feel like I am holding something that costs what I paid, not liking the sound is a personal preference. I can admit that. I do know that there are people out there that have a good use for them. When I had the beats in my hand they felt a little like a toy. Sorry. I hate the Shures, but they certainly feel like a professional piece of of a studio, or musician;s environment. I could see the beats being cool at the lunch table in highschool, but those years are so far in the past for me, even though I am somewhat young. I am sure if things played out today, I would be the dorky guy with Porta Pro 25th anniversary editions. Then again, I also still use a good Walkman, since tape captures the sound of my system, where an MP3 or FLAC just takes on the face of whatever happens to be playing it.

Still, When I think about how the Porta Pros best the beats that I have hear in every way except isolation, and consider the difference in cost, it makes me wonder... This *IS* a Monster product, afterall, and although sometimes they hit on a winner (turbines), they often espouse the apple mantra... as long as it looks cool... who cares right? Wrong! There are those that care! We want 300 dollars worth of effort placed into these phones if you are going to charge 300 dollars.

May 16, 2010 at 6:37 PM Post #82 of 228

Quote:
Haha good point. Many of us know that beats are over priced. That they have mediocre sound. Yet like you said, style. Not trying to be "cool." Just think they are sexy. Why do people buy gucci or LV? Its OP right? Well, it's sexy. LOL! Thanks for trying to save me some $ though!

Not necessarily.  Yeah they're expensive because of the name but like a good bespoke suit, usually the build quality is considerably higher (more than I can say about Beats and Skullcandy cans).  They have higher thread counts, far more stitches, and tend to last longer.  It's like buying one really great pair of jeans for 100 or 200 and having it last 10 years vs buying a pair of 50 dollar jeans every year when they fall apart.  I know my TUMI bags are overpriced but I've lost a pair and have had it returned to me and their warranty is great.  So for that I will continue buy luxury brands as they back up the high cost of entry (great customer service, high quality goods, and great warranties).  Of course there are exceptions like those overpriced t-shirts (it's just a white t-shirt with a name stamped on it).

I'm not a fan of Beats, but I do wish for the price point and the name they would produce a higher quality pair of cans (not break so often).

Best of luck to the OP, I hope you get a pair that lasts you a long time.

May 16, 2010 at 6:47 PM Post #83 of 228

Quote:
That's absurd.  We are talking about style OVER substance.  Not style + substance.  A headphone to compare to apple would be a phone that looks good and sounds good.  And is easy to use.  Grado HP1000?

i wasn't trying to compare a headphone to an apple. I was just wondering if anyone in this thread owned one, because everyone seems anti-apple, which is fine, i was just wondering

May 16, 2010 at 7:04 PM Post #84 of 228

Quote:

I don't have any resentment towards fashion or fashionable items.  But I do have a resentment towards brand identity.  When the worth of a product is created soley through marketing and consumers identify with a lifestyle and identity that is created, instead of buying a product for its worth.

A lot of people don't know any better- they don't realize that it's all hype.  That's cool.  But I do think it's important as a consumer these days to question products and try to see past the image. 

edit:  btw I don't mean to come off as malicious or insulting
beerchug.gif

May 16, 2010 at 7:50 PM Post #86 of 228

Quote:
I see your point mate. Yet, the reason I like beats is not because of Dre, I could careless about him, but because I love the design of the phones. =)

Just get the HD already, and then tell us about it.

May 16, 2010 at 8:47 PM Post #87 of 228

Quote:
I see your point mate. Yet, the reason I like beats is not because of Dre, I could careless about him, but because I love the design of the phones. =)

so it's just a coincidence that you like the way the Beats look over the many other phones that are not as heavily advertised?  I think if the Beats had an AT logo on the side, and were promoted with Audio Technica advertising, you first of all probably wouldn't know about them, and if you did you wouldn't like them the way you do. 

Advertising is subtle and sneaky and you may not realize the influence of the branded lifestyle you are subconciously attracted to.  That being said, buy what you want it seems you have made up your mind anyways

May 16, 2010 at 8:57 PM Post #88 of 228
I'll add my two cents and say that the HD demo set at Best Buy made me want to cuss. The mids were downright awful and almost nonexistent and the bass was sloppy and boomy. No highs. That being said, it was straight from a Nano with 64kbps (Yes, you read that right. I don't know either.) music, so it could account for a small amount of suck. They did seem pretty sturdy though. But they had a PortaPro on demo and it was so much better in every way it was an embarrassment. However, I'd like to find out it was just a really bad pair and it's worth at least 50% its price. The earpads made a really nice seal though.

May 16, 2010 at 10:05 PM Post #90 of 228

Quote:
so it's just a coincidence that you like the way the Beats look over the many other phones that are not as heavily advertised?  I think if the Beats had an AT logo on the side, and were promoted with Audio Technica advertising, you first of all probably wouldn't know about them, and if you did you wouldn't like them the way you do. 

Advertising is subtle and sneaky and you may not realize the influence of the branded lifestyle you are subconciously attracted to.  That being said, buy what you want it seems you have made up your mind anyways

Nah, I know exactly the game of advertisement. I took AP lang. I know about product placement and the propaganda techniques Monster uses. That has no bearing on my decision to like the beats. I mean look at apple, they're the best at it and I own no apple products what so ever from them. Just as you are very picky about your phones, I am picky about my mp3 player. I currently now own a Samsung p3 shipped overseas from South Korea for it has phenomenal customizable EQ system. Don't assume people are stupid. Especially if they are posting on this site. If your on this site, you have somewhat of sense and taste for phones that cannot be fooled by gimmicks. 
Audio Technia is an amazing brand dude! If AT put their logo on the beats, I would jizz from excitement. The style of the beats with the audio of AT=gold! My friend is visiting South Korea this upcoming summer and is going to get a 600$ pair of customized ATH-A700's. He also has a pair of customized beats studios from colorware which inspired me to like the beats. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back