So many threads and so much confusion. Looking for clarity on which pair of IEM's suit my needs. (i'm a n00b)
Jan 1, 2011 at 7:54 PM Post #16 of 18

Quote:
At this price point and from a pure technical standpoint, the TripleFi 10 will pretty much trump everything else simply because of their superior hardware and tuning. This was indeed also a major point in my consideration when I went for them, as I'm still a student.

In terms of sound signature though, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference. The TF10 went for what some will think as the "mainstream" V-shaped sound, which might not appeal to all of the audiophiles here. Unless you've tried out a sizeable variety of earphones, it's difficult to tell what is your preferred sound signature which goes along with your preferred genres of music. If you have the opportunity to try and compare these earphones, that will obviously be the best course of action. Failing that all I can say is to take a leap of faith and go for the one which appeal to you the most. Neither of these are bad phones, and once you have a reference point you can go around comparing and looking for what better suits you. 

Welcome to the world of the audiophile. Better hide your wallet soon :wink:

Quote:

I understand that the Triple Fi's are in a higher class, but I mainly looked at pricing first for my options.  Amazon seems to have them cheap compared to retail price and that's why I just assume they would be better than the other options around the same price. And they have the three drivers, which (from no experience at all) makes me assume they would just be better because of that (probably a mistake, I know).

Also, like I mentioned earlier, I have never used anything over like $30 before and i'm definitely no audiophile, I just simply want something that seems more high-end and will last me (I don't plan on making these purchases often). I assume any pair over $100 will sound amazing and blow me away, I just don't really know the brands and ins-and-outs of all this as well as all/most of you.

And thanks to everyone, this is really helpful and informative.  

Well I like how you put it.  Seeing that I am taking a leap of faith I think I will go with the TripleFi 10's as they are technically superior. 

Now, i've read a lot of statements saying that these can be quite uncomfortable with the stock tips.  Assuming that for some reason I can't find a good fit, what other tips should I try? I understand that a good fit is all subjective but i'm just looking for some generalities here.  I've read things involving comply tips and Sony Hybrid's and what not, but what does that all mean?

Jan 1, 2011 at 8:03 PM Post #17 of 18

Quote:

Well I like how you put it.  Seeing that I am taking a leap of faith I think I will go with the TripleFi 10's as they are technically superior. 

Now, i've read a lot of statements saying that these can be quite uncomfortable with the stock tips.  Assuming that for some reason I can't find a good fit, what other tips should I try? I understand that a good fit is all subjective but i'm just looking for some generalities here.  I've read things involving comply tips and Sony Hybrid's and what not, but what does that all mean?

The TF10s are large and (some) people have a hard time getting a good fit. It's not simply the seal (though that's key to getting the bass to full potential), it's getting them to sit well in your ears period. How and whether this works for you depends on your ears. Tips definitely make a difference.  The Complys are foam that expand to fill your ear canal.  Some people don't like them because they feel they muffle the tone.  I didn't like how they felt, never seemed to be a tight enough seal. For other people, they're perfect.  The Sony hybrids are silicone. I like them better because I get a better seal on them.  You'll have to try different things.  

Flipping the earpieces and changing the cables has made all the difference for lots of people.  But others can never get them to work.

Jan 1, 2011 at 10:22 PM Post #18 of 18

Quote:
Quote:

The TF10s are large and (some) people have a hard time getting a good fit. It's not simply the seal (though that's key to getting the bass to full potential), it's getting them to sit well in your ears period. How and whether this works for you depends on your ears. Tips definitely make a difference.  The Complys are foam that expand to fill your ear canal.  Some people don't like them because they feel they muffle the tone.  I didn't like how they felt, never seemed to be a tight enough seal. For other people, they're perfect.  The Sony hybrids are silicone. I like them better because I get a better seal on them.  You'll have to try different things.  

Flipping the earpieces and changing the cables has made all the difference for lots of people.  But others can never get them to work.

for me,. all the weight of the phones rests on the memory wire pressing against my ears, seems to work all right but they catch a lot of wind while biking

Users who are viewing this thread

Back