So many threads and so much confusion. Looking for clarity on which pair of IEM's suit my needs. (i'm a n00b)
Dec 31, 2010 at 12:24 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 18

alexrezniz

New Head-Fier
(I've read through a lot of articles, so sorry if something similar to this has already been addressed, I missed it.)

So when it comes to audio equipment I know nothing and am completely new to basically all of this.  I have spent about the past 2 months researching all different kinds of players, amps, and IEM's and have settled on which player i'm going to purchase.  However, when it comes to IEM's I have become increasingly overwhelmed with all of the different opinions, preferences, details, etc. I just have a difficult time making sense of what most everything means and am looking for more of a concise answer on what to get.

I am turning 18 in a few (3) weeks and know that I am getting a Cowon J3 (I picked it out - from what I have read it has one of the best on board DAC's?).  My budget for IEM's is up to $200, most readily from Amazon. (I have never ventured forth beyond cheapo stuff before, as my most recent pair were the included Zune headphones).

Currently I have been looking at these 4 models (in no particular order):

Klipsch Image X5  -  $186 (Have been looking at these the 2nd longest)
Ultimate Ears TripleFi 10  -  $185 (Have been looking at these the longest, because of the 3 drivers)
Denon AHC751K  -  $190 (only started looking at these in the past week)
Klipsch Image S4  -  $80 (In a different league, I know, but i've read "phenomenal" things about their performance)

I listen to mostly all kinds of music (preferred being Classical, Techno/Dubstep, some screamo, and some hip/hop) at all kinds of bitrates, but I think I will be using mostly FLAC and 320kps MP3 files on the J3.

I really just don't know which ones to get and every time I read another article it makes me rethink my choice. I know so little about this kind of tech but I don't want to make a "bad" decision. I plan on using whatever I buy for the next 5 years (through college - assuming things go perfectly).  I figure if I buy more expensive stuff now (compared to the usual bottom of the line) I won't feel the need to buy something else as soon down the road. I most likely plan on buying by the end of January 2011.

Any clear and concise help on which pair would suit me best would be much appreciated.  I've never heard anything other than Zune or iPod headphones. I understand all you audiophiles know your stuff, but once you get too detailed I get lost.

Also, if this isn't a bad time or section in which to ask, should I consider getting a portable amp for the J3? I had never even heard of portable amps until a few months ago when I started researching all of this stuff (I just assumed most MP3 players sounded the same and that was that).  Would it enhance or hinder the sound of the J3?

Once again, all help is greatly appreciated!

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:04 AM Post #2 of 18
I think the Triple Fi 10 is in a different level than the other IEMs in your polling IMHO. I only heard TF10 once thru my friend's TF10 and I am very impressed with the sound. It definitely has that fully bodied and heavy bass without overpowering the other frequencies, very fun sounding IEM. My friend use Comply tip for his and I can get a good seal eventho I think the design is a little bit weird.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:09 AM Post #3 of 18
If you prefer a more clear neutral sound signature and don't mind a tad little bass , I say the Fischer DBA-02. I haven't physically heard them but from what I've read , take this with a grain of salt as I'm fairly new to IEM's too and have only owned a few but I think they're what you're trying to look for.

Dec 31, 2010 at 4:18 AM Post #4 of 18
The problem with DBA-02 is that it is mostly out of stock everywhere 
frown.gif
 and I am sure it will sound great as I heard it kind of has a similar sound to my Sunrise SW Xcape.

Dec 31, 2010 at 1:27 PM Post #6 of 18
Thank you all for the quick responses.  As for those Fischer DBA-02, I can't seem to find them on too many sites and they are always sold out. 

Now zychan1, you mention Etys. What are your opinions on the HF5?

Jan 1, 2011 at 7:47 AM Post #7 of 18
The HF5, like all other Etys offer their house sound - natural and analytical. I've not personally heard one (but am kinda tempted to try one out now or the ER-6i :p), but they seem to have more bass to them than the ER-4P or HF2. As with all other Etys though, they might not have as wide a soundstage as you'd like, and the fit does need getting used to, along with the "thinner" bass compared to the TF10s or Denons. I'd suggest you have a look at this thread:

http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/452875/the-etymotics-hf5-appreciation-thread

for more info on the HF5s and Etys in general. One thing I'll have to mention is that the build quality on Etys are really good and will be able to handle extensive damage, but their house sound is sometimes an acquired taste.

Quote:
Thank you all for the quick responses.  As for those Fischer DBA-02, I can't seem to find them on too many sites and they are always sold out. 

Now zychan1, you mention Etys. What are your opinions on the HF5?

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:06 PM Post #9 of 18
If you can get on with the fit on the Triple-Fi I'd say go for those. They're much more engaging & fun to listen to then a lot of other universals I've tried. Especially Etys. While I have nothing against Etys (I've owned ER-6i & ER-4S/P) & I enjoy their sound. They really don't pull you into the music & get your head bobbing if you know what I mean...

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:18 PM Post #10 of 18

Quote:
If you're going to use it for 5 years, consider getting Etys or the Audio-Technica CK10. IMHO they'll handle the damage better compared the earphones you have listed here, though the TF10 has a detachable cord.

as much as people rant about the build quality of the CK10's, at that price point (and to get top marks for build quality) they really need a replaceable cable

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:23 PM Post #11 of 18
Because of the $95 Amazon deal a while back and comparatively low price, people have been lumping the Triple Fis in with lower quality offerings. However, do not be mistaken. The Triple Fi is still a top tier IEM.

Replaceable cables are a lifesaver, and you can even grab yourself a vi cable at any time and create a headset.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:26 PM Post #12 of 18
Agree with Nuwidol that the TripleFis are the most "fun" IEM out of those that have been mentioned. However I wonder if they can keep up with the Classical that the OP prefers, since they're not the fastest around. On the other hand these being my "main" IEMs now I really can't recommend them enough, especially for rock despite their recessed mids. I wonder if the Etys will suit the OP better because of his music tastes, though the narrow soundstage might not appeal to big orchestras. Their flat response line also means it's not as "fun" as the TF10s.

Jan 1, 2011 at 2:28 PM Post #13 of 18

Quote:
Agree with Nuwidol that the TripleFis are the most "fun" IEM out of those that have been mentioned. However I wonder if they can keep up with the Classical that the OP prefers, since they're not the fastest around. On the other hand these being my "main" IEMs now I really can't recommend them enough, especially for rock despite their recessed mids. I wonder if the Etys will suit the OP better because of his music tastes, though the narrow soundstage might not appeal to big orchestras. Their flat response line also means it's not as "fun" as the TF10s.

TF10's are plenty fast compared to most dynamic phones (the S4's couldn't even compare)

Jan 1, 2011 at 3:40 PM Post #14 of 18

Quote:
Because of the $95 Amazon deal a while back and comparatively low price, people have been lumping the Triple Fis in with lower quality offerings. However, do not be mistaken. The Triple Fi is still a top tier IEM.

Replaceable cables are a lifesaver, and you can even grab yourself a vi cable at any time and create a headset.

I understand that the Triple Fi's are in a higher class, but I mainly looked at pricing first for my options.  Amazon seems to have them cheap compared to retail price and that's why I just assume they would be better than the other options around the same price. And they have the three drivers, which (from no experience at all) makes me assume they would just be better because of that (probably a mistake, I know).

Also, like I mentioned earlier, I have never used anything over like $30 before and i'm definitely no audiophile, I just simply want something that seems more high-end and will last me (I don't plan on making these purchases often). I assume any pair over $100 will sound amazing and blow me away, I just don't really know the brands and ins-and-outs of all this as well as all/most of you.

And thanks to everyone, this is really helpful and informative.  

Jan 1, 2011 at 5:23 PM Post #15 of 18
At this price point and from a pure technical standpoint, the TripleFi 10 will pretty much trump everything else simply because of their superior hardware and tuning. This was indeed also a major point in my consideration when I went for them, as I'm still a student.

In terms of sound signature though, it's pretty much a matter of personal preference. The TF10 went for what some will think as the "mainstream" V-shaped sound, which might not appeal to all of the audiophiles here. Unless you've tried out a sizeable variety of earphones, it's difficult to tell what is your preferred sound signature which goes along with your preferred genres of music. If you have the opportunity to try and compare these earphones, that will obviously be the best course of action. Failing that all I can say is to take a leap of faith and go for the one which appeal to you the most. Neither of these are bad phones, and once you have a reference point you can go around comparing and looking for what better suits you. 

Welcome to the world of the audiophile. Better hide your wallet soon :wink:

Quote:

I understand that the Triple Fi's are in a higher class, but I mainly looked at pricing first for my options.  Amazon seems to have them cheap compared to retail price and that's why I just assume they would be better than the other options around the same price. And they have the three drivers, which (from no experience at all) makes me assume they would just be better because of that (probably a mistake, I know).

Also, like I mentioned earlier, I have never used anything over like $30 before and i'm definitely no audiophile, I just simply want something that seems more high-end and will last me (I don't plan on making these purchases often). I assume any pair over $100 will sound amazing and blow me away, I just don't really know the brands and ins-and-outs of all this as well as all/most of you.

And thanks to everyone, this is really helpful and informative.  

Users who are viewing this thread

Back