So many DAC choices, no where to demo them.
Jul 15, 2012 at 10:59 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 6

defianttek

New Head-Fier
I'm looking for a dac for my HiFi system for 2 channel audio. I would like a minimum of a 24bit/96khz capability, but would prefer 24/192. My budget is $1000, because I want to buy something that will last me a long time (I don't like buying a product that I will feel like upgrading in a couple years).

I was looking at sevral dacs, including:
Benchmark DAC1 ($999)
Peachtree Audio iDac ($999)
PS Audio - Digital Link III DAC ($499 from $1000)
Centrance - DACmini CX (799)

Leaning towards one of the first 2. No idea where to go from here.

For those who say spending so much on a DAC isn't worth it with the AV receiver I currently have, I will be buying dedicated components as time passes, the DAC is just high on my list at the moment.

I could pickup 2 dacs (if they could be returned) to ab but that's the limit.

Jul 16, 2012 at 9:57 AM Post #2 of 6
Good luck in your quest. I'm about where you are so I'm going to follow and see where this goes. Does your receiver have any digital or SPDIF inputs? If so, you can use your receiver. If you aren't sure, give us your model number of the receiver.

Jul 16, 2012 at 3:15 PM Post #3 of 6
The receiver does have digital inputs, but this is besides the point. The receivers inputs will be nowhere near the quality of a dedicated dac. I will also be using a completely different integrated amp (or dedicated source components) with in the year.

Jul 16, 2012 at 4:31 PM Post #4 of 6
I'd suggest adding the Wyred4Sound Dac1 to your list.  I have their Dac2,  because I need the versatility of the additional inputs/outputs. 

Jul 22, 2012 at 2:07 AM Post #6 of 6
Quote:
I'm looking for a dac for my HiFi system for 2 channel audio. I would like a minimum of a 24bit/96khz capability, but would prefer 24/192. My budget is $1000, because I want to buy something that will last me a long time (I don't like buying a product that I will feel like upgrading in a couple years).

I was looking at sevral dacs, including:
Benchmark DAC1 ($999)
Peachtree Audio iDac ($999)
PS Audio - Digital Link III DAC ($499 from $1000)
Centrance - DACmini CX (799)

Leaning towards one of the first 2. No idea where to go from here.

For those who say spending so much on a DAC isn't worth it with the AV receiver I currently have, I will be buying dedicated components as time passes, the DAC is just high on my list at the moment.

I could pickup 2 dacs (if they could be returned) to ab but that's the limit.

I'll throw my vote in for the iDAC. I'm a little biased as I own one myself. I've owned several Benchmark DAC1 varients, and I can say the iDAC is a different beast sound quality wise. Whereas the Benchmark gives you the music, clean, unaltered almost to a fault, the iDAC handles music very differently. It doesn't add much to the signal per say, but it does have a fuller musical presentation. 

Users who are viewing this thread

Back