So I've got an idea I think would be great for the forum!
Sep 30, 2008 at 7:16 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 36

ZoNtO

1000+ Head-Fier
I'm relatively new here, but I had an idea tonight as I was reading in the thread about how we affix our amps to our players. It seems that a lot of people here use those black rubber bands to put around their equipment to keep it together.

I saw a link in that thread to this site here and the idea came:

Why don't we order a massive amount for the forum of these black bands that say-

Front: Head-Fi or maybe Head-Fi.org
Back: Sorry about your wallet!

I'm relatively sure that there would be enough interest for members of the forum to get a large number of these, even if there's overstock for a little while.

What are your thoughts?

Sep 30, 2008 at 7:54 AM Post #2 of 36
It's almost a brilliant idea, but the fact that the Player+Amp combos can differ dramatically in height and width, and those rubber bands come only in one size....

We could always wear them around our wrists though to identify each other in public.
wink.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 8:01 AM Post #4 of 36
But aren't the ones that most people buy a standard size anyway?

Sep 30, 2008 at 11:31 AM Post #6 of 36
Great idea ZoNto. The "youth" size with a 7" circumference would work well if it stretches to 8/8.5". An 8" rubber band fits nicely around me AE-2/Sansa combo. This would definitely be classier that my blue broccoli rubber band.

Sep 30, 2008 at 2:45 PM Post #7 of 36
So it looks like each one is around 5 dollars, is that a comparatively high price?

Anyone know a cheaper place?

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:14 PM Post #8 of 36
I just a quote request to another site, looks like it would be 1.25 each if we order 100 of 'em, but I'm still waiting for a response.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:24 PM Post #9 of 36
Great idea!
I don't have a suitable portable rig. But would order a pair anyway...

May even wear one on the wrist.
tongue.gif

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:27 PM Post #10 of 36
Looks like that's the quote, 125 shipped for 100 of these. They are working up a proof for it too.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:48 PM Post #12 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by ZoNtO /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Looks like that's the quote, 125 shipped for 100 of these. They are working up a proof for it too.

Seems like a good deal. Only problem is how to distribute them. Lots of detail work to be addressing and sending so many envelopes out. PMs like crazy too! At least you could rely on regular postal services, so just charge $1.25 plus the cost of the stamp and envelope. Still under $2, so it would be a great community service to offer.

As with any "group buy" it would have to be pre-approved by Jude and listed in the Group Buy forum, although I can't see where he would have any problem with something like this so long as the items were sold for their cost plus shipping with no profit element built in.

I know that I'd be in for one.

As for the "arrogance of that stupid wallet comment", get real, buddy! It's just a friendly welcoming remark that has somehow stuck. It wasn't ever meant to mean anything other than to show support for the site.

We could have said, "Welcome to Head-Fi. You're going to have so much fun here, you'll never believe it! It can actually be quite addictive to explore so many possibilities with all of the various options that are available in the marketplace today. Great sound is a wonderful thing, and we'll all be happy to help you out as you begin your journey. But be careful, because if you're like so many of us, I'm sure you'll be tempted to upgrade again and again, so be mindful of your budget..."

"Gee, Wally, that sounds swell. But why don't we just say something silly like, 'Welcome to Head-Fi. Sorry about your wallet!' and see if it catches on?"

"Great idea, Beav. You're so smart!"

So that's how it happened. Blame it on Beaver.

Sep 30, 2008 at 3:51 PM Post #13 of 36
lol, great quote. Yeah I was just thinking about the shipping/distributing thing.

I remember a few years ago, SoundDomain.com had a bass compilation CD that was made and distributed by their mod GrandMasta. What he did was wait until he received a sufficient number of orders and then would make a bi-weekly or weekly trip to the post office and ship them off. We could try something like that with one of the mods to keep it all regulated.

We'd just have to maybe put things to a poll-vote for things. But basically it would need to be one color or perhaps they could split the order 50/50 or something. Black seems to be the best option IMO though (and is what I would personally would want).

Do we want quotes on the "Sorry about your wallet!" or no, embossed or engraved (embossed might rub off over time), etc...

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:05 PM Post #14 of 36
I, myself would definately purchase some of these bands. I agree with black being the best "colour" of choice.

Sep 30, 2008 at 4:15 PM Post #15 of 36
Quote:

Originally Posted by Ninja13ear /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I, myself would definately purchase some of these bands. I agree with black being the best "colour" of choice.

Welcome to Head-Fi!
wink.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back