So I think I'm Going to Buy An iMac
Apr 13, 2009 at 7:37 PM Post #76 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by LFC_SL /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But why would you pay for a commercial controller when 99% of mice come with their own free software and/or drivers? I first used my Logitech VX Revolution on my HP business notebook, but installing it on my iMac, the Logitech Control Centre is actually superior in some respects in the OSX version

Um... USB overdrive is completely free and universal.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:20 PM Post #77 of 104
Yeah. OSX's mouse control panel is very minimal. They only show the extra functions when you connect Apple's own devices, like mighty mouse -.- Otherwise you get super-barebone option panel (sensitivity, acceleration.. you can't even reassign extra buttons).

Apr 13, 2009 at 9:30 PM Post #78 of 104
Don't use a mouse but I thought the mighty mouse had 4 assignable buttons plus the scroll wheel or so my friend told me I'm spoiled to a track pad.

Apr 14, 2009 at 5:33 AM Post #79 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by ozz /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Don't use a mouse but I thought the mighty mouse had 4 assignable buttons plus the scroll wheel or so my friend told me I'm spoiled to a track pad.

IMO, Apple's new track pad is really revolutionary and I love it since it lets me to do literally everything with just one hand.

Apr 14, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #81 of 104
iMacs are neat quiet computers, but I could never justify buying one considering I'm also paying for the display and that the display can't be used with other computers once you're done with the imac. Really, it sucks considering the high quality h-ips display the 24" imac uses.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:48 AM Post #82 of 104
Finally set up right click capabilities on the mighty mouse. Now if I could just figure out how to save directly to my file server I'll be golden.

Anyone have experience with iWork? I figure I'm going to need some productivity software eventually, and iWork is cheaper than Office.

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:56 AM Post #83 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omerta /img/forum/go_quote.gif
iMacs are neat quiet computers, but I could never justify buying one considering I'm also paying for the display and that the display can't be used with other computers once you're done with the imac. Really, it sucks considering the high quality h-ips display the 24" imac uses.

I was always on the fence as far as all-in-one systems like the iMac were concerned. But having it set up in front of me now, I can tell you that having the all-in-one makes things so much less cluttered around my desk. If I spring for a wireless keyboard & mouse then the clutter gets reduced even more. In this regard. I'm also really getting to appreciate how quiet the machine is. My Windows desktop (which I affectionately refer to as the Badass Mother 4000) sounds like a wind generator by comparison. Granted, it surely dissipates heat much better than the iMac (and with 6 fans I would hope so) but the noise could get annoying sometimes.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:05 AM Post #84 of 104
yeah I would want the imac to have standard internals, that way could just upgrade the motherboard basically a new "base unit" not enviromental friendly everytime you want a new computer, the display is thrown away.

My desktop has 6 fans but it's still quieter than older cases with little fans, since it's a gaming rig going to have some sounds playing. HTPC has couple of fans not totally silent but virtually silent. I can upgrade the computers easily. Both are full towers.

Quote:

I can tell you that having the all-in-one makes things so much less cluttered around my desk.

Wheter I buy a huge Lian Li or a Mac Mini, it still equates to the same desk space. In fact with the Mini I'd put it on the desk, so in fact it uses up more desk space! thanks to the Ikea Jerker style desk I have plenty of room, I don't need to be anal about buying the smallest possible computer things, I've got room for two full size hifi gear, a 24" monitor, hifi standmount speakers, keyboard, mouse, X52 Pro flight stick, and still room for a printer and scanner, and lots of on the main desk shelf enough for roughly 100 jewel CD cases.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:29 AM Post #85 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Finally set up right click capabilities on the mighty mouse. Now if I could just figure out how to save directly to my file server I'll be golden.

Anyone have experience with iWork? I figure I'm going to need some productivity software eventually, and iWork is cheaper than Office.

I never much liked iWork, and decided to spring for full office (I did, however, get a mahusive education discount for it, so it was only about £35). By productivity, do you mean anything complex with spreadsheets and presentations, or are you just looking for relatively basic word processing?

If you don't need much in the way of flashy stuff, I'd have a play with something open source like openoffice before buying anything. The other thing I've got when I really want to do some serious typing with zero distractions is JDarkRoom.

Apr 14, 2009 at 11:04 AM Post #86 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by stewtheking /img/forum/go_quote.gif
By productivity, do you mean anything complex with spreadsheets and presentations, or are you just looking for relatively basic word processing?

I'm referring to word processing, speadsheets, presentations, etc.

Apr 14, 2009 at 3:12 PM Post #87 of 104
Did you check out Open Office?

Not only is it free, but it's great software.

Apr 14, 2009 at 4:01 PM Post #88 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Sherwood /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The first thing I noticed was how much I hated the mighty mouse.

Ditto!
Hence why I still use my 5 year old single-button Apple Bluetooth mouse, even if its well used and ready to be replaced. Shame they dropped it for the Mighty Mouse...
mad.gif

Apr 14, 2009 at 8:12 PM Post #89 of 104
@Jiggly: Why don't you download the iWork trial and find out?
I think iWork is GREAT if you don't need to interoperate with other MS Office users, which is one of its weakness. It can import\export MS Office files but not at 100% compatibility, especially on the more 'complex' files. This is also true with OpenOffice.

Apr 14, 2009 at 9:47 PM Post #90 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Omerta /img/forum/go_quote.gif

Not quite. Everything from textbooks to cars depreciate in value when you sell it on. When I sell on my iMac, it will be to upgrade to a bigger iMac
wink.gif

With the way things are going I look forward to the 28"/30" iMac in a few years

Users who are viewing this thread

Back