So I think I'm Going to Buy An iMac
Apr 12, 2009 at 9:06 PM Post #46 of 104
Just out of curiosity, how have you guys messed with the default Energy Saver settings? By default the system goes to sleep after 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with constantly waking the system up from sleep every time I step away from the computer for more than 15 minutes or so. Of course, I'm also very paranoid. Also, do you guys just put your Macs to sleep overnight or do you shut them down completely?

It's kind of sad that the optical drive in the iMac rips songs in iTunes faster than my Samsung drive does on my Windows PC. I don't know what it is about Samsung optical drives and me, but I never seem to have good experiences with them.

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:17 PM Post #49 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by iriverdude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Should have bought a PC. You could then have fitted 10 Pioneer DVD-RW drives.

But since I wanted a Mac what good would it have done to buy a Windows PC? Besides, I built one already (which I'm now in the process of trying to sell).

Apr 12, 2009 at 9:23 PM Post #50 of 104
Congrats and the Mac, I'm just waiting for tax returns to arrive to get a 13" macbook the 2.4gh ver, even though the only game I play is WOW, the Apple guy said that the non pro version I'm thinking about getting should be just fine / I hope he's right
confused_face.gif

Apr 12, 2009 at 10:52 PM Post #51 of 104
One thing that I'm definitely not used to yet is the ease of program installation. I'm quite fond of only having drag a file into my Applications folder. I know not all programs install this easily, but so far VLC and Firefox have been easy as pie.

Apr 12, 2009 at 11:54 PM Post #52 of 104
I never have my computer go to sleep automatically. To save power, I put it to sleep at night and wake it in the morning. I used to never even put it to sleep.

My wife's old iBook 500, which was only used for email and web used to just have its lid closed, putting it to sleep, when it wasn't used. I checked its uptime after a while: 115 days. Unfortunately I had to shut it down when we went travelling, but the next continuous uptime was 90 days after that.

Apr 13, 2009 at 2:39 AM Post #55 of 104
Congratulations, once you go mac you never go back.

I have a 24" imac as well and I set it to never sleep as I always shut down overnight or if I won't be using it for 6+ hours, otherwise I let it run. It takes surprisingly little power when the screen is off anyway.

As for the heat, mine is at:
48C CPU
59C, 57C, 63C GPU
50C hard drive
51C memory controller
47C optical drive
81C power supply position 1
57C hard drive
46C wireless module (not in use)

The only part that feels significantly warm to me is the top left of the imac, the rest is just slightly warm.

If you want to compare your temperatures get "Temperature Monitor" and another thing you can do it turn up the fan temperatures permanently by using smcFanControl. Very useful little program that sits on the menubar showing your fan speeds and cpu temp. It can have different profiles to turn up fan speeds so if you're playing a game you can set it to "Game" mode which you increase the speeds to a set amount in. But I notice that in the middle of summer when it's really hot the iMac puts up its fan speeds automatically to cool itself anyway so I doubt it's a problem.

Enjoy your iMac! Now go buy an Apogee Duet
wink.gif

Apr 13, 2009 at 7:34 AM Post #56 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Just out of curiosity, how have you guys messed with the default Energy Saver settings? By default the system goes to sleep after 10 minutes, but I'm not sure if I'm comfortable with constantly waking the system up from sleep every time I step away from the computer for more than 15 minutes or so. Of course, I'm also very paranoid. Also, do you guys just put your Macs to sleep overnight or do you shut them down completely?

For me its like...

Power Adapter:
* Put the computer to sleep... -> Never
* Put the display(s) to sleep... -> 5 minutes
* Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible -> Checked

Battery:
* Put the computer to sleep... -> 30 minutes
* Put the display(s) to sleep... -> 5 minutes
* Put the hard disk(s) to sleep when possible -> Checked

Just close the lid and let it sleep through the night. I never turn it completely off unless I will be away from it for several day, like 4-5 or more.

Apr 13, 2009 at 8:57 AM Post #57 of 104
I don't know why, but it doesn't seem as physically large here in my apartment as it did in the Apple store. It looks smaller to me for some reason. Nevertheless, I've been enjoying it so far. I haven't taken much time to really dig deep and truly play around with it, but I'm content up to this point. Unfortunately I have to go back to work today, so I won't have as much tinker time.

Apr 13, 2009 at 11:45 AM Post #58 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by Jigglybootch /img/forum/go_quote.gif
But since I wanted a Mac what good would it have done to buy a Windows PC? Besides, I built one already (which I'm now in the process of trying to sell).

Geez man, I just peeked at your listing. Your PC is a monster!! 6GB, 2x 4870, i7 Quad Core, 10k velociraptor drive and 750w pc power & cooling psu. You need to advertise that on [H] or something (do they have a for-sale board?).

Apr 13, 2009 at 1:51 PM Post #59 of 104
Quote:

Originally Posted by gadgetman /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Geez man, I just peeked at your listing. Your PC is a monster!! 6GB, 2x 4870, i7 Quad Core, 10k velociraptor drive and 750w pc power & cooling psu. You need to advertise that on [H] or something (do they have a for-sale board?).

Yeah, it's a beast. I should have never built it like that, though. I really have no need for that kind of horsepower.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back