So I just got my Ultrasone PRO 550's...
Jan 9, 2011 at 4:42 AM Post #31 of 73

Quote:
Quote:
To the OP,

First off ALL Ultrasones need at least 300 hours of burn in. This is due they have very stiff drivers. You can do this in a variety of ways. One way is to use pink noise or a frequency sweep that is repeating. The other way is just play your own music on a continuous loop. The music method is the one I used to burn in my Ultrasone PRO 2500. With burn in your headphones should develop more bass and that bass will be even more refined. Also when conducting burn in make sure you don't stress the drivers too much. Turn the volume up about 2 notches above your normal listening level and don't burn in for more than 24 hours at a time. After 24 hours give the headphones a 1 to 1.5 hour break and then resume.

Second - Ultrasones especially the PRO ones need an amp of some sort. Ultrasones work extremely well with solid state amps. I personally use the iBasso D4, which is a great amp/dac combo. An amp will also bring out the bass you're craving for.

Third - I see that you are trying to EQ the PRO 550. This may help, but you are gonna need a really good EQ in order to get results. I suggest that you stick to getting an amp if you are going to keep the PRO 550 and get that bass you're craving.

Fourth - I also see that your intention is too find a headphone that doesn't require an amp. In this case the PRO line of headphones isn't for you. Go for the HFI line. These headphones really don't need an amp and sound great once burned in with at least 300 hours. The 580's that you mentioned should fit the bill nicely. But the only way to find out is to order them and test them out despite your concerns that they might not be what you are looking for. Currently they are 150 on amazon.

Hope this helps,
AMK87

Thank you this was very informative

But yes I am looking for an amp-less option as I'm considering portability as well (unless theres an extremely non-clutter, unnoticable way of using an amp) .

Do the HFI-580's isolate well? The PRO's severely disappointed in this regard, they kinda sound like open-air.  

Also would you be able to comment on the soundstage of the HFI-580? the soundstage on the PRO550 is perfect for gaming

the 550 are not open correct? I have the 580, they isolate very very well and have a great soundstage, not so much outwords as more of a dome effect, it comes in hand in games. also no ultrasone really needs an amp but like all headphones they benafit form them.

Jan 9, 2011 at 6:13 AM Post #32 of 73
Quote:
Quote:
To the OP,

First off ALL Ultrasones need at least 300 hours of burn in. This is due they have very stiff drivers. You can do this in a variety of ways. One way is to use pink noise or a frequency sweep that is repeating. The other way is just play your own music on a continuous loop. The music method is the one I used to burn in my Ultrasone PRO 2500. With burn in your headphones should develop more bass and that bass will be even more refined. Also when conducting burn in make sure you don't stress the drivers too much. Turn the volume up about 2 notches above your normal listening level and don't burn in for more than 24 hours at a time. After 24 hours give the headphones a 1 to 1.5 hour break and then resume.

Second - Ultrasones especially the PRO ones need an amp of some sort. Ultrasones work extremely well with solid state amps. I personally use the iBasso D4, which is a great amp/dac combo. An amp will also bring out the bass you're craving for.

Third - I see that you are trying to EQ the PRO 550. This may help, but you are gonna need a really good EQ in order to get results. I suggest that you stick to getting an amp if you are going to keep the PRO 550 and get that bass you're craving.

Fourth - I also see that your intention is too find a headphone that doesn't require an amp. In this case the PRO line of headphones isn't for you. Go for the HFI line. These headphones really don't need an amp and sound great once burned in with at least 300 hours. The 580's that you mentioned should fit the bill nicely. But the only way to find out is to order them and test them out despite your concerns that they might not be what you are looking for. Currently they are 150 on amazon.

Hope this helps,
AMK87

Thank you this was very informative

But yes I am looking for an amp-less option as I'm considering portability as well (unless theres an extremely non-clutter, unnoticable way of using an amp) .

Do the HFI-580's isolate well? The PRO's severely disappointed in this regard, they kinda sound like open-air.  

Also would you be able to comment on the soundstage of the HFI-580? the soundstage on the PRO550 is perfect for gaming

the 550 are not open correct? I have the 580, they isolate very very well and have a great soundstage, not so much outwords as more of a dome effect, it comes in hand in games. also no ultrasone really needs an amp but like all headphones they benafit form them.

Uh what? Any headphone that is listed at over 32 ohms should be considered to be used with an amp. And since the pro's are twice that amount, it should be obvious they are not the most ideal headphones to be used without one.

I just got my hfi 580's and love them. The explosions in video games are superb and the bass hits harder than the beats at base level. When I eq it, its almost too much bass! Plus, they are only 32 ohm and will work great plugging straight into laptop mp3 player or TVs .

Oh and if you want more comfort, just pick up some Beyer dt 250 Velour ear pads. They fit perfectly and are super comfortable .
Good luck!

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:12 AM Post #33 of 73

Quote:

Quote:

Uh what? Any headphone that is listed at over 32 ohms should be considered to be used with an amp. And since the pro's are twice that amount, it should be obvious they are not the most ideal headphones to be used without one.I just got my hfi 580's and love them. The explosions in video games are superb and the bass hits harder than the beats at base level. When I eq it, its almost too much bass! Plus, they are only 32 ohm and will work great plugging straight into laptop mp3 player or TVs .Oh and if you want more comfort, just pick up some Beyer dt 250 Velour ear pads. They fit perfectly and are super comfortable .Good luck!

What of soundstage/airyness?

Also is there any sound leak with the HFI-580's?

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:11 PM Post #34 of 73
Scytus,
I haven't had the opportunity to listen or own the HFI 580's. You will have to go on the comments by WhiteCrow and JVinci.
But I can infer that the sound leakage should be minimal in the HFI 580's due that they are a closed headphone. And from what I've heard/read on these headphones they should isolate well.
My PRO 2500 have the same headband as the HFI 580 and has excellent clamping force to provide plenty of isolation if those headphones were closed.

Here is a guide that you may find useful - The Missing Manual: A User’s Guide to Ultrasone
Link----- http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/204879/there-s-something-about-ultrasone/2895#post_2821957

Hope you find this information useful and informative,
AMK8789
beyersmile.png

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:47 PM Post #35 of 73

Quote:

Quote:

Uh what? Any headphone that is listed at over 32 ohms should be considered to be used with an amp. And since the pro's are twice that amount, it should be obvious they are not the most ideal headphones to be used without one.I just got my hfi 580's and love them. The explosions in video games are superb and the bass hits harder than the beats at base level. When I eq it, its almost too much bass! Plus, they are only 32 ohm and will work great plugging straight into laptop mp3 player or TVs .Oh and if you want more comfort, just pick up some Beyer dt 250 Velour ear pads. They fit perfectly and are super comfortable .Good luck!

dude, ultrasones don't really need an amp, I have been using them out of my ipod straight out and I will get a portable amp later on but they sound just about the same out of that as they do amped, only difference is that the bass is a little sucked out.

Jan 9, 2011 at 7:46 PM Post #36 of 73
Unfortunately the poor isolation of the PRO550's are causing disturbances, so I need to opt for another solution regardless.

The main two I'm considering are the HFI-580's and the Denon D1100's. Both seem to have great results running un-amped, though I've been informed that the HFI-580's aren't trully bassy unless properly EQ'd, which will be a problem in some unique circumstancces (such as gaming). I've read that while the D1100s' are exceptionally bassy, it can overpower the rest of the spectrum, as advised here. It seems I'm looking for the perfect middle ground?

I just really want non-muddy earthquake-level (I enjoy punch's and vibrations), well defined bass while still having fantastic high/mids/soundstage (and I understand that soundstage is limited due to closed phones, but would like to make the best of it). Isolation is quite important as well, though from what I understand both cans excel in that area.

I'm thinking I might just have to order both D1100's and HFI-580's off amazon and see which I like better, then return the one I like less...though that might require more funds than I have available at the moment x]

Jan 9, 2011 at 8:25 PM Post #37 of 73
Well at least Denon D1100 would have the punch you're looking for, although it doesn't have a strong deep bass output though, the bass decays quite fast but you seem to be looking for such bass so but I'm unsure what you would think about the mids especially. You can read more about it here in my review if you haven't http://www.head-fi.org/forum/thread/531619/review-denon-ah-d1100-vs-sony-mdr-xb500

I haven't heard HFI-580 and I'd really want to but I wouldn't be suprised if the mids are more up-front on the HFI-580 and highs would be of a bit of better quality. But bass punch it definitely packs the Denons, it's just slightly weaker punch/impact what's found in my Sony XB500 and since XB500 has far stronger deep bass output as well it's quite a bit bassier but the Denons will still kick hard though, quite nicely even without bass boost but I'm a basshead so I think most headphones need at least some bump to really make you feel it vibrating your head at least. It won't make a lot of impact if you play say some hardstyle songs with very deep bass but if you play a song with more upper bass above 100Hz then it will kick hard. This is a good example of what kind of bass the Denons handle extremely well http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cMg5cQd5f50

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:38 AM Post #38 of 73
Get the Ultrasone HFI-780 off amazon, they are selling for $164. I haven't heard them, but I read up a lot on them, as I was recently looking to buy some Ultrasones (ended up with the amazing Pro 900s for $400). The HFI-780 are highly respected headphones and will get you somewhere into the mid-end audiophile level, meaning you won't need to upgrade for a while. In addition, the nice thing about them, is that they don't require an amp, but sound better with one. Thus, once you gather some cash, you'll know how to upgrade.
If you are looking at the Hfi-580 for $150, get the HFI-780 for $14 extra... it's worth the pizza you're missing out on. 
wink_face.gif

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294637305&sr=8-1

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:51 AM Post #39 of 73
The HFI 780 is not that much better than the HFI 580. Plus it has alot less bass response.

Extra $14 not worth it if you're looking for a basshead headphone. You'd be going the opposite direction of what you'd want.

The Denon D1100 does seem like an interesting option. I haven't read the thread, but I'm assuming it has massive bass impact compared to the Denon D7000? If it's soundstage is anything like the typical Denon soundstage, it should be reminiscent of the Ultrasone PRO soundstage.

Quote:
Get the Ultrasone HFI-780 off amazon, they are selling for $164. I haven't heard them, but I read up a lot on them, as I was recently looking to buy some Ultrasones (ended up with the amazing Pro 900s for $400). The HFI-780 are highly respected headphones and will get you somewhere into the mid-end audiophile level, meaning you won't need to upgrade for a while. In addition, the nice thing about them, is that they don't require an amp, but sound better with one. Thus, once you gather some cash, you'll know how to upgrade.
If you are looking at the Hfi-580 for $150, get the HFI-780 for $14 extra... it's worth the pizza you're missing out on. 
wink_face.gif

Here's a link http://www.amazon.com/Ultrasone-HFI-780-Surround-Professional-Headphones/dp/B00101XVH2/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=electronics&qid=1294637305&sr=8-1

Jan 10, 2011 at 12:55 AM Post #40 of 73

Quote:
Unfortunately the poor isolation of the PRO550's are causing disturbances, so I need to opt for another solution regardless.

The main two I'm considering are the HFI-580's and the Denon D1100's. Both seem to have great results running un-amped, though I've been informed that the HFI-580's aren't trully bassy unless properly EQ'd, which will be a problem in some unique circumstancces (such as gaming). I've read that while the D1100s' are exceptionally bassy, it can overpower the rest of the spectrum, as advised here. It seems I'm looking for the perfect middle ground?

I just really want non-muddy earthquake-level (I enjoy punch's and vibrations), well defined bass while still having fantastic high/mids/soundstage (and I understand that soundstage is limited due to closed phones, but would like to make the best of it). Isolation is quite important as well, though from what I understand both cans excel in that area.

I'm thinking I might just have to order both D1100's and HFI-580's off amazon and see which I like better, then return the one I like less...though that might require more funds than I have available at the moment x]

the 580 are bassy unamped or un eq'd, I run them un eq'd. anyways they isolate well and have a great high and mid end, they have a nice taut punchy bass that reaches very low for htat great BOOM and rumble.

Jan 10, 2011 at 4:35 AM Post #41 of 73

Quote:
Quote:

The main two I'm considering are the HFI-580's and the Denon D1100's. Both seem to have great results running un-amped, though I've been informed that the HFI-580's aren't trully bassy unless properly EQ'd, which will be a problem in some unique circumstancces (such as gaming). I've read that while the D1100s' are exceptionally bassy, it can overpower the rest of the spectrum, as advised here. It seems I'm looking for the perfect middle ground?

the 580 are bassy unamped or un eq'd, I run them un eq'd. anyways they isolate well and have a great high and mid end, they have a nice taut punchy bass that reaches very low for htat great BOOM and rumble.

What do you think of their soundstage? would they be considered airy? (as I do the PRO550's).

Quote:
The HFI 780 is not that much better than the HFI 580. Plus it has alot less bass response.

Extra $14 not worth it if you're looking for a basshead headphone. You'd be going the opposite direction of what you'd want.

The Denon D1100 does seem like an interesting option. I haven't read the thread, but I'm assuming it has massive bass impact compared to the Denon D7000? If it's soundstage is anything like the typical Denon soundstage, it should be reminiscent of the Ultrasone PRO soundstage.

Quote:
wink_face.gif

Doesn't it? 

D1100 vs HFI-580
Only from what I've been reading (also taking EQ out of the equation):

Isolation: Both seem to have positive reinforcement on isolation
Un-amped: Both are reportedly driven easily un-amped
Bass: The D1100's were considered as having too much bass, rated 3-5x more than the D2000's. Unsure about HFI-580's bass, reading mixed results.
Comfort: The D1100's were reported as comfrotable, HFI-580 might be too tight (bass reliant on tightness? weary of the grip weakening over time, thus affecting bass)
Soundstage: Unsure (though very important)
Sub-Bass Performance(those deep, deep vibrations): D1100's cant go too low according to RPGWiZaRD, Unsure of HFI-580's.
Clarity of Mids/Highs: unsure of both, reading mixed reviews.

I just wish there was a user that had experience with both HFI-580 & Denon D1100 that could shed some light on how they outweigh each other.

Jan 10, 2011 at 6:31 AM Post #42 of 73
D1100's bass do go low and fairly easily audible down to 30Hz and you can hear it a little lower than that when you increase the volume but the volume of the output in the 30 - 90Hz range or so isn't very strong at all and many other closed and probably also some open headphones can deliver a lot stronger deep bass output while its upper bass beyond 100Hz very few can match so this results in very strong punchy and "fast" bass as it decays quickly, for my taste it's way too unbalanced deep/upper bass output-wise. It's usually a great thing for drums and genres like rock/metal to have such kind of bass, fast & punchy but when you go to electronica it decays too quickly for my taste. The bass in the Denons is very similar to that of the AKG K 518 DJs (aka. K 81 DJ), possibly the Denons will output even slightly less deep bass compared to those and stronger upper bass.

I know I shouldn't put too much focus on the frequency response graphs but since the Denon D1100 are quite new it's very rare for people to own both so might as well check whatever stuff may be of any use, here's how the K81 DJs vs HFI-580 looks like which sounds very much like the Denons also when bass is put aside except the AKGs seem to have slightly less recessed & more detailed mids and the Denons are a bit less warm/forward with greater soundstage compared to the AKGs. http://graphs.headphone.com/graphCompare.php?graphType=0&graphID[]=2601&graphID[]=1973 - looks like HFi-580 compared to those might have similar upperbass but stronger deep bass output at least but it's also brighter with bigger boosted highs as well (K81DJ is a very dark/smooth sounding headphone though due to the very thick foam that is used with it, removing the foam makes it very brigth sounding) but looks like the Ultrasones would definitely deliver more deep bass than the Denons while probably have fairly similar punchy upper bass output.

Jan 10, 2011 at 7:40 AM Post #43 of 73
Weren't you yourself contemplating on getting the HFI-580's RPGWiZaRD?

If you do, would you be kind enough to compare the two? From what you said it seems that the HFI-580 might be the better option, though I am also trying to consider the quality un-eq'd,

Would we be able to tell Instrument seperation & Sounstage/airyness from graphs? or would that have to be heard.
I am also aware that you're looking for less-airy and more upfront sound, aren't you?
I seem to be the opposite, as I seem to love wide soundstage's for gaming.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:00 AM Post #44 of 73
The soundstage isn't airy, as they are closed and these puppy's seal tight, but it is open and fairly spacious...its kind of hard to explain because of the S-logic sound the soundstage "blooms" if you will, like if someones walking up from behind you*in a game* you can almost hear them getting closer and more towards the center of the phone.

Jan 10, 2011 at 11:31 AM Post #45 of 73
I don't feel like reading through the many pages here, but after reading your first post, I felt that I had to reply.  Driving a headphone properly is more than just volume.  Even my K240, which are a great first headphone unamped, DEFINITELY benefit from an amplifier.  My Ultrasone Pro 650, like your 550, sound great unamped.  However, while they work unamped, you aren't going to be at their full potential until you add an amplifier.  If you wanted to run your headphones unamped and be impressed, you should have gotten the hfi-580 or DJ1 Pro.  Don't blame the headphones for your incorrect use.  /end rant

Edit:  If you plan on never getting an amplifier, or using these for on-the-go, then don't get yourself the studio/pro versions of headphones.  Try to stick with the 32 Ohm rating cans, because that is a solid hint that the manufacturer designed the headphone to be fully utilized out of a laptop/ipod/etc.  Anything with a higher impedance usually means that the manufacturer expects the headphones to be use out of more serious equipment like a mixer or amplifier.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back