So I just got my Ultrasone PRO 550's...
Jan 8, 2011 at 10:54 PM Post #16 of 73
In all honesty, I was looking at the PRO900's..they seem to have amazing response/review. But I'm also starting to learn that when head-fi users says something has a lot of bass, they usually refer to that over what they are used to (which are generally neutral sounding cans). So "good amount of bass" from a head-fi user usually represents to me well-defined, but not anywhere near punchy x]

Only 2 things I was worried about: driving it amp-less, and cost. $320 is wayyy too much for my budget sadly =/

So that basically makes it down to two choices, HFI-580 or stay with the PRO550's I've ordered.

The thing is I'm not sure I want to give up the soundstage the PRO550's represent (great for gaming, intended for studio work I assume), but not knowing how the HFI-580's sound (I'm not even sure if these are the punchy bass im looking for, and am unaware of their soundstage), I can't do any real comparisons unless I have the 580's ordered.

Sad thing is I have no idea where I could possibly try a pair, unaware of any sound shops in Phoenix, AZ. Tried guitar center & frys electronics, but all they seem to stock is basically Sennheiser HD280's & Bose.

EDIT: Headphones I've considered:
* = Heavy contendors

Denon 1100* - bass overpowers mids/highs
Denon 2000 - Too expensive
Beyer DT800/900 - Open-air, weak bass
Beyer DT770 - Amp required
ATH-A700* - Weak bass, described as unexciting
ATH-AD700 - Open air, weak bass (though incredible soundstage)
ATH-M50* - Described as too "vanilla", recessed soundstage; praised for all-around great value though
Sennheiser HD280 - Doesn't match quality of other headphones
Sennheiser HD448 - Doesn't match quality of other headphones
Sennheiser HD555 - Open-air, weak bass
Sennheiser HD595 - Open-air, weak bass
Shure SRH750DJ - Users claimed they didn't fit my needs
Shure SRH840 - ATH-M50 was seen as better headphones in comparison
AKG K271MKII - cannot be driven unamped
Ultrasone HFI-680 - Weak bass
Ultrasone HFI-780 - Mixed reviews about bass, mostly lean towards weak and unexciting
Ultrasone Pro 750 - Expensive, intended more toward studio work, less exciting

Jan 9, 2011 at 12:31 AM Post #17 of 73
OK WOW

First thing I have to say is, do you have some sort of amplifier?

I just tried my JetAudio(http://www.jetaudio.com/download/ you need the Plus VX for the BBE features) player. It still doesn't have a preamp in the new player, but I found that lowering the volume on the player worked well to control clipping. However, I used my Ibasso D10 to bring the volume up. This controlled any clipping and distortion caused by the software using the EQ adjustments.

Unfortunately, the Plus VX features that you need (the same provided in Cowon's MP3 players) costs $30. However, the BBE and the MachBass really gave my headphones some SERIOUS MASSIVE thumping. I don't know why I didn't think of lowering the volume of the player before. If I had realized this, I probably would have moved my whole music library to JetAudio!

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:32 AM Post #18 of 73
No I'm actually looking for headphones without the need of an amplifier, if an amp was part of the equation, I would've gone with an array of many other headphones x]

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:48 AM Post #20 of 73
Hello scytus,

I see you have some stress going on with the PRO550s.  I believe you started the thread about the PRO550s or HFI-780s?  I was going to post but when I returned, you had made up your mind already.

Ultrasones need an amp to tighten everything up.  The HFI-780 can get away without one, but shine with one.  The PRO550s are 64ohm and are a different animal with an amp.  I have yet to hear an Ultrasone (that is properly driven) lacking bass.  I love 'em, but they must be driven properly.  All these shortcomings you are hearing with the 550s, especially in the bass department and being "loose", an amp takes care of that.

Maybe Ultrasones are not for you, however you did find good qualities so far without an amp.

As far as your list in reference to Ultrasones

Ultrasone HFI-680 - Weak bass    Not true.  They have a more balanced sound across the spectrum, but the bass is not weak.

Ultrasone HFI-780 - Mixed reviews about bass, mostly lean towards weak and unexciting.  The bass on the 780s is huge.  They are a bit bright out of the box but do tame down after burn-in.  Yes, mine are re-cabled (split-entry) but I did listen to them stock for a while before I sent them out.

Ultrasone Pro 750 - Expensive, intended more toward studio work, less exciting   True, they are regarded as studio phones because of their detail, but are excellent phones.  Yes, expensive.

In reference to the "less exciting or unexciting" I don't know about that.  A lot of these phones sound flat and dull without an amp, period.  They need to be unleashed into the wild...lol..Maybe that is where the lack of excitement is coming from.

Just remember, when it comes to Ultrasones- people either love them or hate them......

Cheers

beerchug.gif

Jan 9, 2011 at 1:51 AM Post #21 of 73
The type of bass I was primarily looking for was when (using inception as an example) the bass is powerful enough to vibrate through your ears, you actually feel explosions (talking about gaming/movie moments hear). You would feel the electronic beats pounding in your head.

With the PRO550's, using this basstest:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fH_sUK7hJxE
I was able to get fantastic bass, but only when the headphone is turned up alllllll the way...which I really cant do for normal listening..too loud. I noticed at the moderate listening levels, I really can't get any bass.

I've tried playing with Winamps equlizer, itunes, windows media player, all with no real noticable difference. Am I even using the right EQ settings? I know of nothing else to do other than considering the HFI-580.
But I'm scared of the sound-stage in the 580's its perfect for me in the PRO's, and the highs/mids are really nice as well

Jan 9, 2011 at 2:32 AM Post #25 of 73
Of course he can. He just hasn't done it right. BBE can make XB700s physically blur your vision if you wanted. The HFI 580 can still thump hard. The PRO 550 is tamer than those two, but can still be very impactful.

In regards to the PRO 900, I thought it's bass impact and extension was similar to the Denon D7000. Which isn't the most impactful, but for audiophile standards, it's impactful bass.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:05 AM Post #27 of 73
also give it some burn in time, i have prolly 100+ hours on my 580 and the bass tightened up and hits a bit harder now, also look into some small mods*strip or 2 of dynomatt on the inside of the housing*

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:09 AM Post #28 of 73

Quote:
Ultrasone's already thump and you can EQ it to get it really pounding.
But I don't think it's possible for them to vibrate like speakers can.

lol bass boosted shook them on me head...I'm never doing that again lol.

Jan 9, 2011 at 3:42 AM Post #29 of 73
To the OP,

First off ALL Ultrasones need at least 300 hours of burn in. This is due they have very stiff drivers. You can do this in a variety of ways. One way is to use pink noise or a frequency sweep that is repeating. The other way is just play your own music on a continuous loop. The music method is the one I used to burn in my Ultrasone PRO 2500. With burn in your headphones should develop more bass and that bass will be even more refined. Also when conducting burn in make sure you don't stress the drivers too much. Turn the volume up about 2 notches above your normal listening level and don't burn in for more than 24 hours at a time. After 24 hours give the headphones a 1 to 1.5 hour break and then resume.

Second - Ultrasones especially the PRO ones need an amp of some sort. Ultrasones work extremely well with solid state amps. I personally use the iBasso D4, which is a great amp/dac combo. An amp will also bring out the bass you're craving for.

Third - I see that you are trying to EQ the PRO 550. This may help, but you are gonna need a really good EQ in order to get results. I suggest that you stick to getting an amp if you are going to keep the PRO 550 and get that bass you're craving.

Fourth - I also see that your intention is too find a headphone that doesn't require an amp. In this case the PRO line of headphones isn't for you. Go for the HFI line. These headphones really don't need an amp and sound great once burned in with at least 300 hours. The 580's that you mentioned should fit the bill nicely. But the only way to find out is to order them and test them out despite your concerns that they might not be what you are looking for. Currently they are 150 on amazon.

Hope this helps,
AMK87

Jan 9, 2011 at 4:21 AM Post #30 of 73

Quote:
To the OP,

First off ALL Ultrasones need at least 300 hours of burn in. This is due they have very stiff drivers. You can do this in a variety of ways. One way is to use pink noise or a frequency sweep that is repeating. The other way is just play your own music on a continuous loop. The music method is the one I used to burn in my Ultrasone PRO 2500. With burn in your headphones should develop more bass and that bass will be even more refined. Also when conducting burn in make sure you don't stress the drivers too much. Turn the volume up about 2 notches above your normal listening level and don't burn in for more than 24 hours at a time. After 24 hours give the headphones a 1 to 1.5 hour break and then resume.

Second - Ultrasones especially the PRO ones need an amp of some sort. Ultrasones work extremely well with solid state amps. I personally use the iBasso D4, which is a great amp/dac combo. An amp will also bring out the bass you're craving for.

Third - I see that you are trying to EQ the PRO 550. This may help, but you are gonna need a really good EQ in order to get results. I suggest that you stick to getting an amp if you are going to keep the PRO 550 and get that bass you're craving.

Fourth - I also see that your intention is too find a headphone that doesn't require an amp. In this case the PRO line of headphones isn't for you. Go for the HFI line. These headphones really don't need an amp and sound great once burned in with at least 300 hours. The 580's that you mentioned should fit the bill nicely. But the only way to find out is to order them and test them out despite your concerns that they might not be what you are looking for. Currently they are 150 on amazon.

Hope this helps,
AMK87

Thank you this was very informative

But yes I am looking for an amp-less option as I'm considering portability as well (unless theres an extremely non-clutter, unnoticable way of using an amp) .

Do the HFI-580's isolate well? The PRO's severely disappointed in this regard, they kinda sound like open-air.  

Also would you be able to comment on the soundstage of the HFI-580? the soundstage on the PRO550 is perfect for gaming

Users who are viewing this thread

Back