So I got decent mid-fi cans and now don't like my IEMs anymore...
Aug 7, 2010 at 8:31 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 14

buz

500+ Head-Fier
Earlier this year I got the DAC->MStage->D2000 setup in my sig. I rather like it but sadly, my Clip+ with the FX500 (which previously I really liked minus the subpar isolation) or the Playaz N3 sound sort of meeeh.

As a result, I am wondering whether I can go to a lower end custom (say 400-500 bucks) and catch up with my cans or whether I need to go into JH13 territory straight away? In any case, I would rather like to avoid carrying an amp so whatever I get should sound decent enough out of the Clip...

Aug 7, 2010 at 8:49 AM Post #2 of 14
It was based off about 10 minutes of listening, but I think the Sleek customs could to keep up with my ESW10JPNs (which I like much more than my D5000). Source was my Cowon S9. 

Aug 7, 2010 at 9:25 AM Post #3 of 14

Quote:
Earlier this year I got the DAC->MStage->D2000 setup in my sig. I rather like it but sadly, my Clip+ with the FX500 (which previously I really liked minus the subpar isolation) or the Playaz N3 sound sort of meeeh.

As a result, I am wondering whether I can go to a lower end custom (say 400-500 bucks) and catch up with my cans or whether I need to go into JH13 territory straight away? In any case, I would rather like to avoid carrying an amp so whatever I get should sound decent enough out of the Clip...

mstage = matrix m-stage?
looks like a powerful cans setup.
i just got my recently ck10, and it is able to kinda complement my headphone well, since it has the similar 'headstage' feel rather than brainstage (in-your-head) kinda feel.
the dynamics is quite good, but sound body, it is thinner than my headphone tho. after having that, i think it's possible for top-tier iems to go head to head with mid-fi cans.. im not sure if i can say the same with top-tier cans tho.
plus, since you are using a highly rated amp here.. it's possible that your clip can not match the strength and dynamic provided to your headphone, but coming close shudnt be a problem imho.
that said, i still prefer the full sound from my headphone anytime.

Aug 7, 2010 at 12:03 PM Post #4 of 14
What's your D2k do that's so much better than your IEM's? Resolution? Bass impact? Soundstage? What tips are you using? A decent seal is crucial with IEM's. Try some foams (Shure makes some good stuff, imo). I wouldn't think you'd need to spend anywhere near that much to catch up. I'm diggin' my iM716's way more than I should lately.

Aug 7, 2010 at 2:55 PM Post #5 of 14
I generally use silicone biflanges (never found a pair of foams that was big enough for me). I think it is is generally soundstage (it is just a lot more spacey vs the wall of sound with the IEMs), bass impact is pretty decent with the FX500 in any case (I remember being quite astonished when I got them in January :). I actually even prefer my D2K to my speakers (which are mostly big but not necessarily good :) these days

Aug 7, 2010 at 3:19 PM Post #6 of 14
What's wrong with using headphones for "serious" listening and iems for portable?  That's what I do...I like both, but I love the spacious, airiness of open headphones, which I don't expect iems to match.  

The bulk of my money generally goes towards headphones,,

Aug 7, 2010 at 4:19 PM Post #7 of 14
The part's that's "wrong" about the suggestion is that I travel a LOT for business (right now nights at home and in hotels are split just about 50:50 FWIW) and there's just no way to take the cans with me while traveling.

Aug 8, 2010 at 3:59 PM Post #8 of 14
Have you tried playing with the crossfeed on your Clip? Maybe you can eek a little bit of soundstage out of your iem's this way.

Idk how much a more expensive or custom molded iem will help you with your problem so I'll leave it up to others to comment on this.

Aug 8, 2010 at 9:48 PM Post #11 of 14
I feel that my Cowon S9 can increase the virtual sound-stage of all my headphones to some degree... using, as previously mention, cross-feed, among other things such as increasing stereo width.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:04 PM Post #12 of 14

Quote:
What's wrong with using headphones for "serious" listening and iems for portable?  That's what I do...I like both, but I love the spacious, airiness of open headphones, which I don't expect iems to match.  

The bulk of my money generally goes towards headphones,,

Nothing is wrong with it as far as I am concerned. I do the same thing. For serious, uncompressed listening, I use my AKG 242 HDs. For casual portability, I use my monster coppers.

Aug 8, 2010 at 10:16 PM Post #13 of 14
All I can say is that the Earsonics SM3 is the closest IEM experience to my favorite cans, the recabled HFI-780. They have a huge soundstage with an incredible sense of 3D space and layering. They make even the much-raved-about Sennheiser IE8 stage sound confined to an axis across your ears. And several highly experienced users/reviewers have found that they are greatly efficient straight out of any DAP, and don't require amping to get the best out of them. Therefore the background is nice black quietness, no noticeable hiss.

Aug 13, 2010 at 3:55 PM Post #14 of 14
Hmm, even at the current low EUR, the SM3 is price-wise well into custom territory...

Users who are viewing this thread

Back