so...i got a death threat today...
Apr 1, 2006 at 1:18 AM Post #46 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by Gaughtfried
I'd personally talk to the guy first, but not before telling some friends to call the police if something happens.

Getting the police first without talking to the guy may worsen the problem as it could give him more reasons to hate you. That is never a good thing.

@Echo_
Do you have an account at ocforums.com?

Just curious.

yup

Apr 1, 2006 at 5:48 AM Post #47 of 134
thanks for all the replies guys. I had a talk with my girlfriend the other night about it, but the odd thing was she didn't seem overly concerned about it. She took it more in a light humorous manner whereas I expected her to be in shock. I am not sure if this is just a defence mechanism or maybe she just knows he isnt the violent type.

I don't know the guy well enough to judge whether he is capable of physical harm. from what I've seen he seems to be a royal a-hole with complete disregard for everyone around him. He once tossed a full waterbottle out of a 15th floor balcony during a hotel party, for reasons I still don't understand.

As far as backing up the evidence, I've saved copies on cd and printed copies. Yes he does explicity use my name and my girlfriends name in the lyrics repeatedly, and the title of the rap is "Kill xxxxxx".

As far as fear, I am not concerned about him attacking me, he is quite obese/physically unfit and I can handle myself properly in a fight, or run away if need be. I have absolutely no desire to physically harm him, if he were to attack me I'd let myself be given a few bruises and run away just so I could press charges. At this point it is much more an attack at my reputation and my pride rather than causing me psychological damage. A part of me wants to retaliate legally to the fullest extent just to show him I won't be pushed around and that his actions have consequences. Another part of me is saying it's not worth the trouble and I shouldn't fuel the fire.

My girlfriend has agreed to stop talking with him completely. The reason I was never concerned about her spending time with him is that they would very rarely do anything together. I think in the course of our relationship she has seen him maybe twice or three times at parties. They mostly chat on msn and the phone. I never felt threatened because I knew he could not score a chick like my girlfriend with his personality and looks.

we are all about 18 yrs old. we do go to the same school but it is college so I don't know how much administration would really care. This is definately not one of those high school dramas where we shove past each other in the hallways.

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:05 AM Post #48 of 134
Usually when people threaten they don't act upon it, but you never know especially based on outward appearances and how you perceive others intentions...

You should be very careful and warned. Your girlfriend doesn’t fully appreciate the potential risk this yahoo poses to you both. Let the police judge this guy’s action and words.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Ted_Bundy

Apr 1, 2006 at 9:15 AM Post #49 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
thanks for all the replies guys. I had a talk with my girlfriend the other night about it, but the odd thing was she didn't seem overly concerned about it. She took it more in a light humorous manner whereas I expected her to be in shock. I am not sure if this is just a defence mechanism or maybe she just knows he isnt the violent type.

I don't know the guy well enough to judge whether he is capable of physical harm. from what I've seen he seems to be a royal a-hole with complete disregard for everyone around him. He once tossed a full waterbottle out of a 15th floor balcony during a hotel party, for reasons I still don't understand.

As far as backing up the evidence, I've saved copies on cd and printed copies. Yes he does explicity use my name and my girlfriends name in the lyrics repeatedly, and the title of the rap is "Kill xxxxxx".

As far as fear, I am not concerned about him attacking me, he is quite obese/physically unfit and I can handle myself properly in a fight, or run away if need be. I have absolutely no desire to physically harm him, if he were to attack me I'd let myself be given a few bruises and run away just so I could press charges. At this point it is much more an attack at my reputation and my pride rather than causing me psychological damage. A part of me wants to retaliate legally to the fullest extent just to show him I won't be pushed around and that his actions have consequences. Another part of me is saying it's not worth the trouble and I shouldn't fuel the fire.

My girlfriend has agreed to stop talking with him completely. The reason I was never concerned about her spending time with him is that they would very rarely do anything together. I think in the course of our relationship she has seen him maybe twice or three times at parties. They mostly chat on msn and the phone. I never felt threatened because I knew he could not score a chick like my girlfriend with his personality and looks.

we are all about 18 yrs old. we do go to the same school but it is college so I don't know how much administration would really care. This is definately not one of those high school dramas where we shove past each other in the hallways.

I wouldn't let your girlfriend's apathy to his actions change the way you (and everyone else) view the situation. As you said, they have been friends for a long time (and he has had feelings for her for a long time), so she probably feels bad and sympathizes with him, leading to her excusing him more than she really should. I know, I've been in a similar situation (not the death threat part, but the unequal feelings --> near-stalking), and my guilt for not feeling the same way toward my friend caused me to let her get away with more than I should have.

Regardless, there is something wrong with this kid - and I don't just mean the fact that he's an upper-class 18yr old asian kid who thinks he's a rapper
tongue.gif
. I mean some serious psychological issue(s) here. From his blog and your description, I doubt that he is a real physical threat to you, but I do think he has some problems that need to be brought to the attention of some authority figures, whether they be his parents, your parents, school officials, whoever.

I'm sure you just want this to go away, and you don't want to stir up any more trouble. But, I honestly think he needs to be in some psychological counseling, for anger issues or whatever else is going on with him. Even if he doesn't actually attack you, eventually he is going to do something serious if this isn't taken care of. The best people to deal with this are his parents. Well, that is if they care, which they might not. I'm sure you could find something that would allow you to act anonymously, so you won't cause any more trouble. Either way, I think you need to make an effort to do something here, even if it's just making someone aware of the situation.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:26 PM Post #50 of 134
I bike quite a lot and I can tell you I've fallen before onto edges of sheet metal and only received a small cut while the edge of the sheet metal was bent. During mid season, my thighs are hard enough you can break a pencil tip if you tried to jab em. While I'm not saying muscles don't do much, they will mitigate the damaged done by say the average knife or a sharp blow with a bat or pipe.
A self defense course will teach him how to best deflect blows from an opponent in hand to hand combat and how to engage an armed opponent at close range.
Nothing is perfect but every ounce of muscle, reflex, and skill contributes to your overall chances of survival. It also helps to know where all the vulnerable areas of the body are, a relatively light blow to the neck can kill your opponent very cleanly and quickly.
The guy is right about how he plans to handle it. Taking a dive and running off in a fight might actually be wiser since you now have something to charge him on and it's clear cut who initiated it. If you take him down and collapse his wind pipe, the police would have a MUCH harder time believing that he started it and you were just defending yourself.

Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Blogging is different from threatening to kill and/or rape someone. The First Amendment protects free speech, but it sure as hell does not protect threats.

Muscles are good for a lot of things. They're good for health, sports, getting girls, and helping your friends move. Against weapons though, muscles are nothing except a couple more inches of flesh to penetrate. Because of that, always treat your opponent as if they are armed. Sure you may be able to beat him up with your muscles, but what if he pulls a knife, or worse, a gun? It only takes one bad day to kill you.

Right (and more importantly, the law) is on your side. There is no need to do anything that would change this. Keeping your distance will make it difficult for him to get in a fight with you. If you do get into a fight, I disagree with the sentiments to "crush" him. If you can escape, do so, then file assault charges. If you cannot escape, fight defensively (full bookbag to the chest works wonders) and look for a way out. There is no reason to add any ambiguity to this situation. If you beat him up, he can very well file charges against you claiming that he was just messing around online, and that you were the one that confronted and attacked him.

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:33 PM Post #51 of 134
Quote:

grow up some muscles , then if he don't understand nice manners , make him understand you're serious whatever the manner .

actually it is another part of the anatomy that needs to be grown if you want to have the ability for physical confrontation.Grows a bit lower and comes in sets of two
very_evil_smiley.gif

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:44 PM Post #52 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
Yes he does explicity use my name and my girlfriends name in the lyrics repeatedly, and the title of the rap is "Kill xxxxxx".

That's seriously flagrant and messed up.

If I were you, I wouldn't put up with that garbage for one second, that is some serious stuff. Don't just let that slide.

My advice has changed to:

(a) call the cops and charge this guy with everything possible
(b) consult a lawyer and see what you can do wrt. private law

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:49 PM Post #53 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by marvin
Blogging is different from threatening to kill and/or rape someone. The First Amendment protects free speech, but it sure as hell does not protect threats.

Muscles are good for a lot of things. They're good for health, sports, getting girls, and helping your friends move. Against weapons though, muscles are nothing except a couple more inches of flesh to penetrate. Because of that, always treat your opponent as if they are armed. Sure you may be able to beat him up with your muscles, but what if he pulls a knife, or worse, a gun? It only takes one bad day to kill you.

Right (and more importantly, the law) is on your side. There is no need to do anything that would change this. Keeping your distance will make it difficult for him to get in a fight with you. If you do get into a fight, I disagree with the sentiments to "crush" him. If you can escape, do so, then file assault charges. If you cannot escape, fight defensively (full bookbag to the chest works wonders) and look for a way out. There is no reason to add any ambiguity to this situation. If you beat him up, he can very well file charges against you claiming that he was just messing around online, and that you were the one that confronted and attacked him.

He don't have to attach him , but he can respond . And cause the ohter part to upset or get back or get pissed or something else..
Remember you have the reason . Knowing to have the reason is the strongest point .

Anyhow , I know it's maybe only a partial point of view , and a personal attitude , but I want to higly advice you to make yourself stonger , and to be able at least to have not fear to confront against lowballed psychos and similar - they can cause harm ( psychological on all , or else , and it's real ) if your not ready or preparated to meet them , and it's veryeasy to avoid them when you're self confident .
They happens unfortunately .. I can tell you they do .

It's better to be prepared , not to phisically attach them , but yes to defend ourself , and to be prepared and respond to someone who engages you ( again , I'm not talking about concrete fight only in particular )

18 unfrotunately it's still an age one have to make up his mind on himself on his life and on how to survive without many problems in this world against hits and threats. So giving an authority or a legal a call maybe will help you ,and it's a wise thing.

Anyhow grow some self-confidence, it do wonders in cases like this, and really will do no harm to no one; and I also want to tell you to answer to a threat, whatever it is, always, not always directly, but always with intelligence and strenght

Apr 1, 2006 at 6:56 PM Post #54 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne

I wouldn't let things go their own road .
If someone threaten me, poetic or not, music or not, when i sense a threat I do not let him develope it , this is sure .
Talk with him " hey guy , it's better you stop it .. or I'll have to confront you / or I'll have police to desturb you ; I don't like this kind of things , never liked , never thought they would happen , and I'm not going to let them pass ."
I would not want NOONE to use my name in a lyric without noticing me, and I would absolutely react ( legally , confronting , phisically - depending on situation and persons involved ) to someone who title a song "kill -my name-".. and sh|t like this ; it's worth to react .

Think of taking it seriously at least , this will not worsen things.

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:00 PM Post #55 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by rickcr42
actually it is another part of the anatomy that needs to be grown if you want to have the ability for physical confrontation.Grows a bit lower and comes in sets of two
very_evil_smiley.gif

people love to say your ability to confront people is about balls... that's a joke.

it's about your ability to ignore reason and become primitive, to become stupid and do something.

Guys who win fights are guys who can act on instinct and let the psychology walk away... Your heroic energy can come and go, yet the capacity you have at surviving is based on how little you have to think about the whole situation, and how fast you react in a way to subdue the other person.

Running away is a survival instinct, yet so is breaking his teeth and ignoring the idea of reprucussions of the situation. The whole activity of him posting a thread like this suggests he doesn't have the fortitude or makings of an animal, he probablly would have his ass handed to him and suggesting he works up the balls is really a bad idea. Let me quote somebody who has alot to say on this matter:

"The greatest obstacle to being heroic is the doubt whether one may not be going to prove one's self a fool; the truest heroism is to resist the doubt; and the profoundest wisdom, to know when it ought to be resisted, and when it be obeyed."
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:05 PM Post #56 of 134
Quote:

very_evil_smiley.gif

Yes
but that's a thing that one grows in life , not on command
18yo , one mat have yet rather nice balls grown on a quite stimulated youngness and puberty,
or one may very well have to grow them all up still

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:17 PM Post #57 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by pne
At this point it is much more an attack at my reputation and my pride rather than causing me psychological damage. A part of me wants to retaliate legally to the fullest extent just to show him I won't be pushed around and that his actions have consequences. Another part of me is saying it's not worth the trouble and I shouldn't fuel the fire.

I'm not sure why you don't allow yourself to react FIRMLY on him
give him a call " What are you fukkking up on the net ? " " What's your beautiful blog about , my piece of *lord* ? " " I've yet called police and bla bla bla your parents .. " " Do you want a visit ? Me and police ? Do you prefer me only ? .. " " Stay alert "

I well understand it's my point of view only , to act firmly , against , or for reaching a solution as soon as possible , as I don't like and want unwanted events to take subject on my life ..
I react on things , as I've learned not reacting is worse ( possibly is always worse if you know you have reason to react ) .

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:42 PM Post #58 of 134
Quote:

it's about your ability to ignore reason and become primitive, to become stupid and do something.

No it is not.

It is a rare human that totally unprotected one on one alone has the "BALLS" to say exactly what is on their mind and especially so when there is a possibility the other person may just clobber you for your opinion.

THAT is human nature and THAT is what has always separated the sheep from the predators.Sheep go along to get along,predators take and then there is a third class of human who will not take but neither will he allow another to take from him/her no matter what the circumstances.

Utopia does not exist.We are not protected by the police who can only respond and not intervene and if you wander dark alleys at night with a pocket full of loot and someone jumps out of the shadows with a "give me your loot" and you do then you have no balls and that person knew it when he picked you as the target

Quote:

Guys who win fights are guys who can act on instinct and let the psychology walk away... Your heroic energy can come and go, yet the capacity you have at surviving is based on how little you have to think about the whole situation, and how fast you react in a way to subdue the other person.

and guys who will not defend themself or protect what is theirs we have another name for

Quote:

Running away is a survival instinct,

heh,not likely.The fight or flight reflex is exactly what separates those who can hold on to what is theirs and those who are always victims who cry about it and in fact the "flight" guys were once not allowed to breed being herd "culls" but now society celebrates the weak and pushes the feminized male as something to aspire to.If this were the norm the human race would never have gotten a foorhold

Quote:

The whole activity of him posting a thread like this suggests he doesn't have the fortitude or makings of an animal, he probablly would have his ass handed to him and suggesting he works up the balls is really a bad idea. Let me quote somebody who has alot to say on this matter

the whole idea of this thread is the headfi way of wanting every aspect of your private life open to the other members and this is the least example of things better kept private.what knucklehead truly does not know you get a death threat you take some action beofre the threat is carried out ? There no TV ? No radio ? No newspapers with the headlines of all the "victims" that hid in a corner until the inevitable "bad thing" threatened happened ?

Do any of you know what a restraining order is ?

Quote:

"The greatest obstacle to being heroic is the doubt whether one may not be going to prove one's self a fool; the truest heroism is to resist the doubt; and the profoundest wisdom, to know when it ought to be resisted, and when it be obeyed."
-- Nathaniel Hawthorne

the greatest obsticle to growing a pair is using quotes instead of taking action when action is the only course available.A name for that to but i will play nice

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:49 PM Post #59 of 134
Quote:

if you wander dark alleys at night with a pocket full of loot and someone jumps out of the shadows with a "give me your loot" and you do then you have no balls and that person knew it when he picked you as the target

That's pratically what happens , they pick up targets , and targets are more or less conscious choices .
It is always this way , psycho or not , when one try to get something of your personals , it's because he or they ( , which is normal , because if you are an object at risk , you'll be likely targeted - by psychos or thieves or whatever - more then once ) knows they can do it ..

In fact you still didn't answer to this sir and you should have answered , probably way before the blog .

Apr 1, 2006 at 7:55 PM Post #60 of 134
Quote:

Originally Posted by 1911
you gotta explain it in terms he understands...he is a rapper? then explain that if he doesnt cut the crap out you are gonna pop a cap into his a**

ahah didn't read this

edit
I've just read the " kill x " rap , oh man
If it was me involved the rapper would be rapping his own sh|t in his mouthful at the moment - and I would take care personally of him chewing .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back