Snow Leopard
Aug 29, 2009 at 12:40 AM Post #2 of 95
My install was clean but my notebook was essentially 'virgin' anyway since I bought it yesterday. It seems noticeably quicker but has anyone caught Safari hogging all the resources on the computer and causing it freeze?

Aug 29, 2009 at 12:43 AM Post #3 of 95
I've upgraded too. There's definitely an improvement but stupid software incompatibilities are getting on my nerves. Expose looks cool though.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:03 AM Post #4 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by That dude /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've upgraded too. There's definitely an improvement but stupid software incompatibilities are getting on my nerves. Expose looks cool though.

What software have you found to be incompatible?

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:02 AM Post #5 of 95
I just completed my install of Snow Leopard & backed
it all up on Time Machine.

The only thing it pointed out as incompatible is Norton
Anti-virus. It basically stated that there were some
incompatibilities, but it's still running & functional.

In the "Incompatible Software" directory, the only
thing listed is the Norton Antivirus. I'll just have
to keep an eye out for a patch. Everything else seems
intact.

Also, I went from 20G of free space to 32G. That
surprised me.

Aug 29, 2009 at 4:34 AM Post #6 of 95
Anything that ran in the menu bar on the right, such as Menu Meters or iStat menus wont run. Max wont run either, because Core Audio has changed in some way. So far, apart from those things, I can't think of any issues I've had that didn't already exist in 10.5.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:03 AM Post #7 of 95
Buying mine tomorrow. I'm a huge nerd so I'll let you guys know how the compatibility and improvements are. From what I've read though, the upgrade is a STEAL at $29 bucks. You can't go wrong getting it.

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:26 AM Post #8 of 95
It doesnt seem like a steal to me, just a fair price, since its not really a new operating system. Things should be snappier since most native in-the-box apps (safari, mail, etc..) are in 64 bit. I'll wait a while to upgrade since theres lots of stuff on my menubar (thanks for the heads-up Currawong!)

Aug 29, 2009 at 5:34 AM Post #9 of 95
I use Soundsource in the menu bar to toggle between headphone output and USB output. Snow Leopard lost it. Otherwise, smooth sailing, including everything else in the menu bar, and freed up some space.

Perfectly fair price. $29 software for $29.

Aug 29, 2009 at 7:05 AM Post #10 of 95
Oh man, I didn't get a copy today. I got to drinking at the office's TGIF party and completely forgot.

Anyhow, I'll be in the office tomorrow and will run over to get a copy when I can. I'd love to go almost entirely 64 bit and I can't wait for it to free up a little space on the drive.

Aug 29, 2009 at 1:25 PM Post #11 of 95
Quote:

Originally Posted by Twitchy_one /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I just completed my install of Snow Leopard & backed
it all up on Time Machine.

The only thing it pointed out as incompatible is Norton
Anti-virus. It basically stated that there were some
incompatibilities, but it's still running & functional.

In the "Incompatible Software" directory, the only
thing listed is the Norton Antivirus. I'll just have
to keep an eye out for a patch. Everything else seems
intact.

Also, I went from 20G of free space to 32G. That
surprised me.

Where does one find the "Incompatible Software Directory...?

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:27 PM Post #12 of 95
It never created one on my Unibody 15. I guess it didn't find anything.

Overall it does seem snappier, but I will tell you my MBP does run MUCH hotter than it ever did before. All the settings are the same and I use the Better Battery Life setting...

Aug 29, 2009 at 2:49 PM Post #13 of 95
Aug 29, 2009 at 3:25 PM Post #15 of 95
There's a new version of Soundsource out Rogue Amoeba | Freebies: Free software for Mac OS X - and it works fine with SL here.

Quote:

Originally Posted by West726 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I use Soundsource in the menu bar to toggle between headphone output and USB output. Snow Leopard lost it. Otherwise, smooth sailing, including everything else in the menu bar, and freed up some space.

Perfectly fair price. $29 software for $29.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back