Smyth SVS Realiser - PRIR Exchange Thread
Dec 19, 2013 at 8:40 AM Post #346 of 404
^ Uploaded a quick 5.1 test.. all channels were crossed with the sub so they are really full range.

Nobody making PRIRs anymore? 
biggrin.gif

Jan 24, 2014 at 4:47 PM Post #347 of 404
Hi !

After reading multiple reviews and articles, I ordered a Smyth Realiser myself. As a starting point, I made a HPEQ file for my Sennheiser HD-800 and compared several PRIR files from the dropbox folder. First of all: THANKS to all of you for sharing these files - really great to try them out !

It's very impressive, especially how huge the difference is even between files measured at a same location (eg: all AIX B&W files). No wonder Smyth gives the strong advice to create an own PRIR. After hearing how big the different PRIR files sound (due to our different head and ear shapes), it's quite easy to understand why a Dolby headphone (or any other 'generalized' algorithm) can't work for everybody - impossible.

I've made a first measurement of my system and would like to contribute this PRIR. I asked silverlight by PM to invite me to the dropbox list.

My system: Focal JMlab Nova Utopia Be speakers as L/R (http://www.stereophile.com/floorloudspeakers/604focal), an Utopia Be center speaker and four small side and rear speakers connected to some McIntosh Amps. There are no special room acoustic treatments (since it's our living room).

I did not want to do the cabling for all channels to all amplifiers initially and used the 'multiply speaker' method (LR / LsRs / LbRb) to create a "JMlab Nova 7.0" virtual speaker system - and was simply BLOWN AWAY by the Smyth Realisers performance ! My PRIR file sounds BETTER than my real system (at least for me with the Sennheiser HD-800 and a personal HPEQ; it's due to inferiority of my center and rear/back speakers compared to the big Nova front speakers). After hearing this, I simply cancelled my initial plan to do the cabling for all the channels later on - since I'm able to have a virtual system based on 7 Nova's !!!  COOL :)). One has to hear that to believe it !

A BIG THANKS to SMYTH RESEARCH for this WONDERFUL tool !!!

When I get access to dropbox, I will start to share my PRIR's (if measuring and time will allow). Maybe someone likes my files (will depend on your head/ear shape).
Rene

Jan 25, 2014 at 12:32 AM Post #348 of 404
Awesome man :wink:. As a guy that aspires to have a Realiser some day, it's good to see it still has the same jaw-dropping effect on people, and that there are still some members interested in exchanging PRIR info. Congratulations on the new gear 
beerchug.gif

Jan 26, 2014 at 6:49 PM Post #349 of 404
I wanted to thank everyone who posted here. It has been an interesting and informative read.

I realised the Realiser isn't for me, no matter how good it can sound, as the time investment and learning curve are substantial in obtaining a PRIR that will work optimally - utilising other people's PRIR's sound very hit and miss, although an interesting exercise.

This is especially so when in Australia we have no dealer support (or distributor).

Thanks again.

Best Wishes
Andrew

Jan 27, 2014 at 3:21 AM Post #350 of 404
Yes this is the bad side of this marvalous tool. It. takes time and patience to get the best results out of it.​

Aug 22, 2014 at 11:00 AM Post #352 of 404
  I wanted to thank everyone who posted here. It has been an interesting and informative read.

I realised the Realiser isn't for me, no matter how good it can sound, as the time investment and learning curve are substantial in obtaining a PRIR that will work optimally - utilising other people's PRIR's sound very hit and miss, although an interesting exercise.

This is especially so when in Australia we have no dealer support (or distributor).

Thanks again.

Best Wishes
Andrew

Sorry about the late reply, but have you ever tried this : https://fongaudio.com/out-of-your-head-software/

Sure, it might not lead to the Realiser's extraordinary results, but it's also much less expensive and constraining.

Sep 2, 2014 at 4:35 PM Post #353 of 404
Just created a new directory with my name and uploaded two files to dropbox:

• Home Rene - Focal-JMlab Nova Utopia Be 7.0:
    This is my own system. I used the 'multiplying speakers LR, LsRs, LbRb' method with two large JMlab Nova front speakers and called it 7.0 (the realiser creates a virtual center and subwoofer channel - I saved the file with all 7.1 channels but since I do not own a subwoofer, I simply called it 7.0).

• Home Peter - Martin Logan Summit X 7.0
    This is a friends system. I used 'multiply speakers' method with the ML Summit X front speakers. Same approach as above.

For my ears, the JMlab Nova file is sounding with a little bit stronger bass and the ML Summit X file is sounding somewhat more coherent (eg. for real instruments and voices it sounds more natural). I use the JMlab file for movies and listening to modern music (eg: Pink Floyd multichannel SACD 'dark side of the moon'......COOL with 7 Novas !!) and the Summit file for classical recordings.

Hope someone has similar ears like mine - for me, these two files sound fantastic :)
Rene

Jan 7, 2015 at 5:07 AM Post #354 of 404
I had the luck of getting a used 1st gen Realiser in the "bay" for a very good price.

I use it with a Sennheiser HD 800 and I'm very impressed.

I still have to make my own PRIR, but for now using the ones provided by all of you - thank you very much! :)

But there seems to be a problem...

Somehow, high frequencies seem to clash / jitter - the sound problem goes away if I go in the "bypass" mode. So it seems that the problem is not with the headphones but the PRIR's or some other settings in the Realiser.

My question: Does anybody know if there is something like a "factory reset" for the Realiser?

Jan 9, 2015 at 1:54 PM Post #355 of 404
Hi theboch,

no way to reset the box, use firmware-update function, see manual for details.

but ...

the MODE (OFFS) button test signals (3-2) are working?

and ...

before loading a preset please trying to use erase function (2-2 Erasing Preset)!

Jan 9, 2015 at 2:08 PM Post #356 of 404
Hi jlejle

thank you very much for your feedback.

I did reset the presets a few days ago and it did indeed help a lot. I think there where some settings on the presets which caused the sound problems.

Which volume do you usually set on the Realiser when having the headphones connected to the Realiser through an amplifier?

Jan 10, 2015 at 10:47 AM Post #357 of 404
Hi theboch,

a good question, it would be interesting for other user.

Leveling - the point of view comes to the fore:

Realiser shows input levels only in SVS Mode -  note that the total level of the SVS output is the
addition of up to eight non-linear HRTF signals.

A good SVS recording with 8 ch has an overall level between -3 to -6 dB FS

For comparison: input -20 dB FS Pink Noise, 8 x 20 dB = 29 dB incoherent signals, LFE +/- 10dB = 28,5 - 32,3 dB), Realiser output at 0 dB.

Realiser LED Phones Clip (PRIR hekeli siba 7.1 90 deg):

White Noise at 0 dB FS (HDMI input), output scaled to -18 dB
White Noise at -18 dB FS (HDMI input), output scaled to 0 dB

Both measurements Realiser output SPDIF resampled at 96 kHz, RME Digicheck - 2dB FS

No Clipping at input level + 6dB (HDMI), but I don't know anything about signal chain inside the Realiser. Manual: 2,8 V RMS at -10 dB, means app. +19 dB headroom.

Manual says, that the Realiser has a max. output level of 1,4 V RMS (1-6, 1 V = 0 dB scale), approximately +2,9 dB headroom (at consumer level -10 dB app. +12 dB)
That's not a lot (Standard GER is 1,55V = +6 dB, USA 1,23 V = +4dB, studio reference value 0,7746 V), but enough headroom for superposition or heavy spikes in the main speakers.

In Mix Mode the dowmmix levels affects the master level of the Realiser output.

I use in Mix Mode only L+R at a level of +10 dB, because of SVS simulation monitoring, the SVS output is set to 0 dB, so I must deal with the input signals (Overall gain - 3 dB FS is a good value having 24Bit). The reflection, to improve signal-to-noise ratio with higher input levels is beside the point because of max. SNR of the PRIRs (82 to 85 dB).

Keep in mind that there is a difference between dB FS and dB VU - the A8 manual details shows RMS values, this means attack times from 10 ms to 300 ms, real digital FULL SCALE levels are mearsured with an interval of 1 ms. Input meter of Realiser shows dB FS, catch it if you can ...

At 48 kHz 1 ms means 480 samples - only a true peak meter with oversampling (like RME DigiCheck) can show clipping in this tiny interval.

If someone is hungry for leveling knowledge (hard stuff):

http://www.sengpielaudio.com/calculator-db-volt.htm

Jan 25, 2015 at 11:23 AM Post #358 of 404
Hi all,

When trying to copy a PRIR from Internal to the SD, the Realiser says : E1 : Limit Reach.

Anyone knows what's going on ?

Feb 22, 2015 at 11:42 AM Post #360 of 404
Hi everyone

I really currently have a hard time getting a good HPEQ for my Stax SR-009. I really do not know what I am doing wrong.

It was so easy with the HD-800...

Sometimes I get no sound on one channel after applying the HPEQ to a preset and the other times the sound ist just extremely bright.

Can you give me any tips on creating the HPEQ file?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back