Smyth Research Realiser A16 Speaker Edition
Feb 1, 2023 at 10:45 AM Post #76 of 139
True, but it’s still within the range of what audiophiles spend on equipment. Imagine, if you had the space and the spousal approval, what you’d have to spend to convert a 2.1 stereo system into even a modest 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. The questions, beyond if you have the money and if it’s a priority for you and your family, are: how convincing is the illusion(there’s a big difference between just being impressive and being convincing), how accurate is the localization, and is it something that two people can enjoy in the same room at the same time. For example, could you and your partner sit together on a love seat and enjoy a movie together in true Dolby Atmos?

Feb 1, 2023 at 11:45 AM Post #77 of 139
how convincing is the illusion(there’s a big difference between just being impressive and being convincing), how accurate is the localization, and is it something that two people can enjoy in the same room at the same time. For example, could you and your partner sit together on a love seat and enjoy a movie together in true Dolby Atmos?
Exactly my curiosity. I would need the speaker edition to equal or exceed the level of realism of my PRIRs via headphones.

Feb 1, 2023 at 1:45 PM Post #78 of 139
Can the virtual speakers be "soloed" in test mode to verify the accuracy of their location and their tonal realism?

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:50 AM Post #79 of 139
True, but it’s still within the range of what audiophiles spend on equipment. Imagine, if you had the space and the spousal approval, what you’d have to spend to convert a 2.1 stereo system into even a modest 5.1.2 Dolby Atmos system. The questions, beyond if you have the money and if it’s a priority for you and your family, are: how convincing is the illusion(there’s a big difference between just being impressive and being convincing), how accurate is the localization, and is it something that two people can enjoy in the same room at the same time. For example, could you and your partner sit together on a love seat and enjoy a movie together in true Dolby Atmos?
I think that at present, the Realiser A16 SE isn’t something that two or more people can fully enjoy in the same room at the same time. Perhaps the refinement of the algorithms created by Audio XD will somehow widen the favoured listening spot. Until then, two sweethearts could sit very close to each other on a couch or while one enjoys the audio illusions created by the A16 SE, the other does something else, e.g., reads a book and then switches roles.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:52 AM Post #80 of 139
Exactly my curiosity. I would need the speaker edition to equal or exceed the level of realism of my PRIRs via headphones.
As Realiser A16 SE is still a Realiser A16, except it is provided with an additional speaker function by Audio XD, it means that both versions work with PRIRs. For Realiser A16, if the loaded PRIRs are derived from personalised measurements, then the level of realism via headphones is high. The user manual of Realiser A16 SE doesn’t state the provenance of the PRIRs that are used for the listening rooms in Presets #1-4.

The manual states that virtualisation of immersive speakers works with very advanced Audio XD convolution algorithms, which are applied downstream of a discreet Dolby/DTS multi-channel decoding, which goes from mono sound to 9.1.6. Given this information, I’m wondering why Audio XD doesn’t allow a Realiser A16 SE owner to use its own PRIRs that might be the outcome of personalised measurements with the speakers used in conjunction with the A16 SE.

Feb 2, 2023 at 3:54 AM Post #81 of 139
Can the virtual speakers be "soloed" in test mode to verify the accuracy of their location and their tonal realism?
I’ll check and report here.

Until then, the following is an excerpt from the manual, translated into English for my own use.
Keys and menus for everyday use
Remote control keys for everyday use:
Orange key for turn on and turn off.
Blue volume key for user A (speakers & headphones).
MUTE A key (speakers & headphones).
PA key for active virtual speaker mapping, user A.
In this page, the ↑ and ↓ keys display a brief menu of raw information.
In this page, the PA key displays 2 types of level meters. Press again to go out.
In this page, the ADJ+/ADJ- keys to change Preset (the big figure at the top left on a blue background) sequentially.
In this page, keys 1 to 9 to directly load a Preset by its number:
Preset 1 (default): rendered Dolby/DTS multichannel on stereo speakers.
Preset 2: enlarged rendering of source (e.g., sound TV) on stereo speakers.
Preset 3: hi-fi listening of jazz type stereo source on headphones.
Preset 4: hi-fi listening of voice type stereo source on headphones.
Preset 5 to 16: (programmed or no) multi-channel listening through headphones. The charging takes a few seconds.
MENU or BACK keys to exit the mapping menu page.
The “headset” pictogram key, alternating with the “speaker” pictogram key to switch from listening with SVS processing/headphones (“headphones” key) or Audio XD/speakers to direct listening without processing (“speaker” key). Note: the sound volume may be different.

The French manual for the SMYTH Realiser A16 SE:
https://www.smyth-realiser.fr/downloads/83/manuel-pas-a-pas-du-a16-se-v08.pdf

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:32 AM Post #82 of 139
I think that at present, the Realiser A16 SE isn’t something that two or more people can fully enjoy in the same room at the same time. Perhaps the refinement of the algorithms created by Audio XD will somehow widen the favoured listening spot. Until then, two sweethearts could sit very close to each other on a couch or while one enjoys the audio illusions created by the A16 SE, the other does something else, e.g., reads a book and then switches roles.
Are you saying that the person not sitting in the sweet spot gets a suboptimal listening experience or does that person, in fact, hear nothing at all?

Feb 2, 2023 at 8:59 AM Post #83 of 139
Are you saying that the person not sitting in the sweet spot gets a suboptimal listening experience or does that person, in fact, hear nothing at all?
A Realiser A16 SE buyer is provided with two other smaller devices: a digital laser tape and a digital protractor. Those two tools are used to cut out a spot with the best possible experience. In the user’s manual, special importance is given to the preparation of the listening area. Given this concern, I haven’t tested how the sounds are heard if there’s a deviation of a few centimetres from the sweet spot. Actually, I’ve tried to comply with the requirements in the manual.

The person who wrote the user’s manual was optimistic. “The objective of this initial configuration is to cut out a spot with the best possible experience. Afterwards, it is up to you and those around you to sit elsewhere in the room. The immersive experience will still be very good.” On the French forum, owners of Realiser A16 SE highlighted the importance of sitting in the sweet spot. I’ll try to move around the sweet spot in my room. Most probably the effect of sitting elsewhere in the room won’t be so obvious when watching movies.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:06 AM Post #84 of 139
I’ve used the solo mode with test tones provided by the Realiser A16 SE unit. The positioning of the virtual speakers was not exactly as expected. As I wrote previously, when I checked the positions of the virtual speakers with test signals from a demo disc, the sounds corresponding to some speakers didn’t seem to come exactly as shown on the screen. Moreover, the virtual speakers above the head are much louder than those at ear level.

However, when I played, for example, the Dolby 9.1.6 demo file posted by @Thomasphoenix98 (Post #14,519 in the other thread), I could hear the individual channels much better positioned. In addition, the sounds from panning of the helicopter were very strong.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:17 AM Post #85 of 139
A friend of mine recorded the 9.1.6 demo as well as the Atmos Amaze Demo using the 45° positioning of his A16 SE... I won't have time until this weekend to set the speakers up properly... But I am very excited to hear the results.... Especially the heights and the rears.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:29 AM Post #86 of 139
A friend of mine recorded the 9.1.6 demo as well as the Atmos Amaze Demo using the 45° positioning of his A16 SE... I won't have time until this weekend to set the speakers up properly... But I am very excited to hear the results.... Especially the heights and the rears.
In that demo one can also hear sounds from a car. When the sounds come from behind, the level of realism is very high.

Feb 3, 2023 at 3:53 AM Post #87 of 139
I sit quite close to the speakers, which are positioned in the other two vertices of an equilateral triangle with sides of 1.7 metres, i.e., about 67 imperial inches. To hear the effect of sitting off axis, I moved about 0.5 metres (about 20 inches) to the left, to the right and behind the listening spot, respectively. For testing, I used the scene when the djinn escapes from the bottle in Three Thousand Years of Longing movie (Dolby Atmos soundtrack).

As it was written in the manual, the immersive experience was still very good at 0.5 metres off axis, but not so overwhelming as in the sweet spot. For music listening, at 20 inches to the left of the sweet spot, I heard the sounds from the left speaker predominantly.

Feb 3, 2023 at 8:50 AM Post #88 of 139
I sit quite close to the speakers, which are positioned in the other two vertices of an equilateral triangle with sides of 1.7 metres, i.e., about 67 imperial inches. To hear the effect of sitting off axis, I moved about 0.5 metres (about 20 inches) to the left, to the right and behind the listening spot, respectively. For testing, I used the scene when the djinn escapes from the bottle in Three Thousand Years of Longing movie (Dolby Atmos soundtrack).

As it was written in the manual, the immersive experience was still very good at 0.5 metres off axis, but not so overwhelming as in the sweet spot. For music listening, at 20 inches to the left of the sweet spot, I heard the sounds from the left speaker predominantly.
Thanks for the feedback @GeorgeA

Have you tried or noticed a difference in immersion depending on the angle of the speakers... Wondering if 60° works better than 45°?

Feb 3, 2023 at 11:14 AM Post #89 of 139
Frankly writing, I wasn’t too curious to try the other two pre-programmed possibilities that can be used as described in the manual. To the best of my knowledge, the mostly recommended speakers span for regular stereo listening is the 60 degrees of an equilateral triangle. I would’ve liked to read in the manual or at av-in.com how Audio XD ended up using 3 three possible speaker arrangements, i.e., 20, 45 (by default) or 60 degrees.

I think that an isosceles triangle (2 equal sides) between me at the top and my 2 speakers might be a bit inconvenient. As it can be seen in the attached photo, if the speakers were closer to each other (isosceles triangle), I think that they would somewhat overlap with the shelf with electronic equipment.
01.Speaker.setup.jpg

Last edited:
Feb 3, 2023 at 11:27 AM Post #90 of 139
Thanks... My friend is going to make me recordings of the 60° preset as well.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back