smsl su-8 dac?
Feb 19, 2019 at 12:47 AM Post #226 of 463
You're gonna dig it, man. Sounds good and very versatile. I am thinking about selling my Modi Multibit because it seems crazy to have both. SU-8 is better at Hi-Res and can also decode DSD.

Feb 19, 2019 at 12:48 AM Post #227 of 463
BTW, I'm still rocking the v1 with no problems so far!

Feb 19, 2019 at 1:44 AM Post #228 of 463
Has anyone played with the little sounding options the DAC provides? What is the difference between the "rich" and the "Tube" EQ setting. Wahts the difference between "Standard" and "Original".

Feb 19, 2019 at 11:46 AM Post #229 of 463
I'm planning on ordering an SU-8 this week to pair its balanced outputs with my THX 789. I'm currently using a Mimby with an Eitr. The Eitr noticeably improves audio with the Mimby, which apparently has a mediocre (or worse) USB input. However, the SU-8 has XMOS USB along with other tech claimed to clean up its USB input. Is it necessary or helpful (or at least not harmful) to use the Eitr to feed the SU-8's coaxial input? (I read the SU-8 thread on ASR and the guy who runs that site stated that the Eitr was unnecessary with the SU-8, but was wondering if anyone here has an opinion.)

Last edited:
Feb 19, 2019 at 11:54 AM Post #230 of 463
I'm planning on ordering an SU-8 this week to pair its balanced outputs with my THX 789. I'm currently using a Mimby with an Eitr. The Eitr noticeably improves audio with the Mimby, which apparently has a mediocre (or worse) USB input. However, the SU-8 has XMOS USB along with other tech claimed to clean up its USB input. Is it necessary or helpful (or at least not harmful) to use the Eitr to feed the SU-8's coaxial input? (I read the SU-8 thread on ASR and the guy who runs that site stated that the Eitr was unnecessary with the SU-8, but was wondering if anyone here has an opinion.)

I went from a Bifrost Multibit to an SU-8 and don't need anything to clean up the USB input. I am quite please with the upgrade - noticing things in recordings I never heard with the Bifrost.

Feb 19, 2019 at 4:28 PM Post #231 of 463
Has anyone played with the little sounding options the DAC provides? What is the difference between the "rich" and the "Tube" EQ setting. Wahts the difference between "Standard" and "Original".
I've tried on many different amps and multiple headphones and I honestly can't tell a huge difference except when going from rich 1 straight to crystal 3 there is a very small difference in treble. That being said, I had someone control the dac and did a blind a/b testing and didn't notice any differences between them all. Since this is a feature of the ess chip and not a smsl thing I'm confident that a test rig recording the different filters would show the small changes. I'm just pretty sure I can't tell with normal listening.

Feb 20, 2019 at 5:31 PM Post #234 of 463
My smsl su-8 shipped yesterday via Massdrop, I should be able to answer that question soon. Don't think I got a straight answer when I asked this thread either. I will say that even the sdac has a better usb resolution than the mimby, so the sentiment that the smsl has better resolution compared to Schiit's cheap r2rs is probably not much to brag about..

For the record I got a mimby waiting to be sold and I'm hoping the smsl will invalidate the eitr so I can sell it too :)

Last edited:
Feb 23, 2019 at 7:27 AM Post #235 of 463
expecting mine next week. the balanced outputs sold me plus it a dac only with extra dac channels for some dsp to try out.
like sonys extra processing for analog phase ‘correction’, i will usually leave the signals unprocessed. nice to play with settingsfeature.
it volume will be max. my class a amp always wants most signal level to attenuate internally.

Feb 23, 2019 at 8:36 PM Post #236 of 463
Mine said "sh
My smsl su-8 shipped yesterday via Massdrop, I should be able to answer that question soon. Don't think I got a straight answer when I asked this thread either. I will say that even the sdac has a better usb resolution than the mimby, so the sentiment that the smsl has better resolution compared to Schiit's cheap r2rs is probably not much to brag about..

For the record I got a mimby waiting to be sold and I'm hoping the smsl will invalidate the eitr so I can sell it too :)

Mine said it was "shipped" too. The three days later it showed up as received by Fedex… hybrid to USPS. Showing scheduled delivery next Friday. Which is subject to change depending on the hand off to the USPS. Honestly, after several years of doing his kind of thing with Massdrop, I am done with them. I have gotten things from China quicker. The savings on purchase price, considering no warranty, is just not worth it. Anyway, we will see if the thing shows up when it is scheduled or maybe the following week. I am anxious to see how it sounds.
I also bought an LKS MH-004 DAC which shipped three days ago. Interested to do a comparison and to see which one actually gets here first.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:02 PM Post #237 of 463
Mine said "sh

Mine said it was "shipped" too. The three days later it showed up as received by Fedex… hybrid to USPS. Showing scheduled delivery next Friday. Which is subject to change depending on the hand off to the USPS. Honestly, after several years of doing his kind of thing with Massdrop, I am done with them. I have gotten things from China quicker. The savings on purchase price, considering no warranty, is just not worth it. Anyway, we will see if the thing shows up when it is scheduled or maybe the following week. I am anxious to see how it sounds.
I also bought an LKS MH-004 DAC which shipped three days ago. Interested to do a comparison and to see which one actually gets here first.

Yea I may not get mine until Tuesday/Weds.. why I'm waiting for a month when I could have gotten 5 day shipping on Amazon for free at $212 is kind of ridiculous. I try to save where I can in this hobby I guess lol.

Feb 24, 2019 at 7:22 PM Post #238 of 463
I've had zero issues with my SU-8 so far. Has been running constantly playing songs almost 24/7 for a few months no prob. Its using both the SE and Balanced outs simultaneously as well. Hopefully this trend will continue. Its hooked up to ebtech hum x and cyber-power pure sine wave ups and using usb to pc. Also using the Thesycon drivers

How/where did you get the Thesycon drivers for the XMOS? I looked but they typically are not downloadable on their own

Feb 24, 2019 at 9:18 PM Post #240 of 463
I got something from there called "XMOX_USBAudio_v4.4.7.0"
Nothing about Thesycon. Thesycon has a 4.59 version, but it is for developer download only.

XMOS has drivers, again for developers, or if you buy 150 XMOS devices.
The machine I will be using this with already has some newer XMOS drivers for a Burson Conductorr V2+ installed.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back