smsl su-8 dac?
Feb 24, 2019 at 9:39 PM Post #241 of 463
I got something from there called "XMOX_USBAudio_v4.4.7.0"
Nothing about Thesycon. Thesycon has a 4.59 version, but it is for developer download only.

XMOS has drivers, again for developers, or if you buy 150 XMOS devices.
The machine I will be using this with already has some newer XMOS drivers for a Burson Conductorr V2+ installed.
THis is the link to the SU-8 thesycon driver. Prob wont work on anything but the su8, so you are prob out of luck if you are using a different dac

http://www.smsl-audio.com/download.asp?p=2

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:28 PM Post #242 of 463
I'm neither a computer nor audio expert. so sorry if this is a dumb question. I got the SU-8 a few days ago and Windows 10 (I have the latest 1809 version) recognized it immediately (and I assume installed drivers) without any input from me and made it the default playback device. (I've been comparing the SU-8 to the Mimby/Eitr combination, and Windows automatically recognizes whichever is connected to the USB port atm. I have to change the device manually in Tidal settings though.) Is there any need (or improvement to sound to be gained) by installing any other drivers?

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:40 PM Post #243 of 463
I'm neither a computer nor audio expert. so sorry if this is a dumb question. I got the SU-8 a few days ago and Windows 10 (I have the latest 1809 version) recognized it immediately (and I assume installed drivers) without any input from me and made it the default playback device. (I've been comparing the SU-8 to the Mimby/Eitr combination, and Windows automatically recognizes whichever is connected to the USB port atm. I have to change the device manually in Tidal settings though.) Is there any need (or improvement to sound to be gained) by installing any other drivers?
I think the default Win 10 driver is USB 1.0 compliant, which limits your output to 24/96. I would be worth it to install the driver, as it gives access to the highest available settings (32/768) and gives usb 2.0 compliance. It also allows use of ASIO drivers, which is needed to use native DSD in foobar2k.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:47 PM Post #244 of 463
Mine also recognized automatically by Windows 10, but still installed the driver coming from smsl to have the choice of output with foobar2000.

Feb 24, 2019 at 11:49 PM Post #245 of 463
Mine also recognized automatically by Windows 10, but still installed the driver coming from smsl to have the choice of output with foobar2000.
Exactly.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:30 AM Post #246 of 463
The only problem for me is that there are now many output choices and do not know what the differences :) There is no perceived sq changes in my case when I tried them one by one to compare.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:38 AM Post #247 of 463
The only problem for me is that there are now many output choices and do not know what the differences :) There is no perceived sq changes in my case when I tried them one by one to compare.
If you're not using DSD, just select WASAPI event. Even if you can't hear a difference, there could be a time in the future when you might need the options.

Feb 25, 2019 at 1:45 AM Post #248 of 463
If you're not using DSD, just select WASAPI event. Even if you can't hear a difference, there could be a time in the future when you might need the options.
Will do, thanks for the tip.:beerchug:

Feb 25, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #249 of 463
I think the default Win 10 driver is USB 1.0 compliant, which limits your output to 24/96. I would be worth it to install the driver, as it gives access to the highest available settings (32/768) and gives usb 2.0 compliance. It also allows use of ASIO drivers, which is needed to use native DSD in foobar2k.
Thanks a lot for the response. Actually, I have the output set to 32/96 (the only available options are 32/44 through 32/384 with the SU-8 and the Windows 10 driver), which should be more than enough for Tidal, 16/44 and 24/96, which, except for games, is my sole music source. I don't have any DSD music and am not using any players other than Tidal. Since I'd rather avoid fooling with drivers unless necessary, I'll probably just stay with the default driver.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #250 of 463
i received my SU-8 V2 from mass drop over weekend.
I am running it balanced with my Liquid Platinum and HD800s. So far so good.
However i hear a pop everytime there is a change in sample rate. If i go from 44.1Khz to 96Khz i hear a pop in my headphone.
it is just annoying. Anyone else had similar experience.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:49 PM Post #251 of 463
i received my SU-8 V2 from mass drop over weekend.
I am running it balanced with my Liquid Platinum and HD800s. So far so good.
However i hear a pop everytime there is a change in sample rate. If i go from 44.1Khz to 96Khz i hear a pop in my headphone.
it is just annoying. Anyone else had similar experience.
Yep. I have a v1. Guess they haven't updated that yet. It is kinda annoying.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #252 of 463
just to add I also have mojo and i never had this pop noise issue while changing the sample rate. I am running Roon in MacBook pro in exclusive mode so it changes the output sample rate of the output device automatically

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:54 PM Post #253 of 463
Yep. I have a v1. Guess they haven't updated that yet. It is kinda annoying.
I really wanted to like it and was hoping that I didn't find any issue. It has Balanced output, Remote and everything I wanted at good price but this pop noise making me worried about my headphones as I will be driving HD800s, Z1R and Meze Empyrean.
I hope it doesn't have any detrimental effect on headphones.

Feb 25, 2019 at 10:56 PM Post #254 of 463
I really wanted to like it and was hoping that I didn't find any issue. It has Balanced output, Remote and everything I wanted at good price but this pop noise making me worried about my headphones as I will be driving HD800s, Z1R and Meze Empyrean.
I hope it doesn't have any detrimental effect on headphones.
Nah. It won't hurt your phones. Is annoying though. You won't find a better balanced dac with a remote for this price, so compromises must be made. IMO, this is pretty minor

Last edited:
Feb 25, 2019 at 11:04 PM Post #255 of 463
Nah. It won't hurt your phones. Is annoying though. You won't find a better balanced dac with a remote for this price, so compromises must be made. IMO, this is pretty minor
ya thats true. Balanced DAC with remote at $200 price point is amazing.
I am long time listener of Chord Mojo and with my ears its difficult to discern the difference. May be Vocals a little better in Mojo but its very difficult to differentiate.
Amazing considering Mojo is around $450. However Mojo is more for portability.
I haven't done A/B comparison. above statement is memory based.
Will do and report back.
Will be using 800s and LP for comparison and will have Empyrean over the weekend.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back