smsl su-8 dac?
Jan 19, 2019 at 12:23 PM Post #181 of 463
Anyone looking for SMSL SU DAC there is an active drop in massdrop for 199
Also I see It on sale for 212 in many websites

Jan 19, 2019 at 1:44 PM Post #182 of 463
Interested in jumping on this drop, but does anyone know if I’d be able to use my Android-based XDP-100R as a transport (via OTG cable/output into the SU-8’s USB) with this?

Something of a deal-breaker since my headphone setup is a side table setup next to a lounge chair and using a laptop/desktop isn’t really an option.

I know people have been using the 100R with the Mojo although I’m unsure how universal the OTG connection is with other DACs.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 1:53 PM Post #183 of 463
When I tried the SU-8 with my asus zenfone 2, it worked right away. I see no reason why it wouldn't work with your XDP.-100R as long it supports usb audio.

Last edited:
Jan 19, 2019 at 2:02 PM Post #184 of 463
Interested in jumping on this drop, but does anyone know if I’d be able to use my Android-based XDP-100R as a transport (via OTG cable/output into the SU-8’s USB) with this?

Something of a deal-breaker since my headphone setup is a side table setup next to a lounge chair and using a laptop/desktop isn’t really an option.

I know people have been using the 100R with the Mojo although I’m unsure how universal the OTG connection is with other DACs.
As long as you have digital out of your transport it should work, right?
Am I missing something?

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:17 PM Post #185 of 463
Hi, I'm reading up on this and the D50 DAC. They are basically the same right? Also, using the SU-8 DAC, can i connect the XLR outs to a stereo power amp and connect the RCA outs to a powered subwoofer? Then, the SU-8 would act as a preamp while using the remote to control volume?

Jan 22, 2019 at 3:56 PM Post #186 of 463
Hi, I'm reading up on this and the D50 DAC. They are basically the same right? Also, using the SU-8 DAC, can i connect the XLR outs to a stereo power amp and connect the RCA outs to a powered subwoofer? Then, the SU-8 would act as a preamp while using the remote to control volume?

This is what I do. I use the SU-8 XLR--> Crown XLS2502 and RCA-> Powered Sub

Also, Shenzhenaudio currently has the SU-8 V2+SH-8+DA-8 for $480 shipped. Pretty dang good deal.

Jan 22, 2019 at 4:06 PM Post #187 of 463
This is what I do. I use the SU-8 XLR--> Crown XLS2502 and RCA-> Powered Sub

Also, Shenzhenaudio currently has the SU-8 V2+SH-8+DA-8 for $480 shipped. Pretty dang good deal.

That is a good deal. I had toyed with the idea of a DX7S vs an SU-8 and a power amp. The SH-8 matches it, but seems underpowered from what I can gather. Of course, the knock on the DX7S is also that it is underpowered.

Jan 22, 2019 at 6:05 PM Post #188 of 463
Personally I prefer the SMSL setup, I have an SH-8 and while it is no THX789 it does perform admirably for the money. Able to drive both my HE-560 and 6XX with ease. I own both the DX7s and SU-8/SH-8 combo. As far as DAC sections go they trade blows. The SH-8 however I felt was superior to the DX7s integrated amp. I bought the combo from Shenzhen, so I'll be selling the brand new SH-8 for pretty cheap since it'll be an extra.

Last edited:
Jan 22, 2019 at 6:26 PM Post #189 of 463
Personally I prefer the SMSL setup, I have an SH-8 and while it is no THX789 it does perform admirably for the money. Able to drive both my HE-560 and 6XX with ease. I own both the DX7s and SU-8/SH-8 combo. As far as DAC sections go they trade blows. The SH-8 however I felt was superior to the DX7s integrated amp. I bought the combo from Shenzhen, so I'll be selling the brand new SH-8 for pretty cheap since it'll be an extra.

That is interesting and not what I would have expected for the SH-8 vs the amp in the DX7S. How about the usability of the two? The tiny screen on the SMSL seems kind of limiting. Glad to hear it can drive your 6XX as I have an HD600 and soon to be delivered Beyerdynamic Home.

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:14 PM Post #190 of 463
The screen doesn't really limit anything to be honest. The remote for the SU-8 works on the SH-8 as does the rotary dial well enough. I just max out the DAC and use the AMP, quite simple really.

Jan 22, 2019 at 8:45 PM Post #192 of 463
The screen doesn't really limit anything to be honest. The remote for the SU-8 works on the SH-8 as does the rotary dial well enough. I just max out the DAC and use the AMP, quite simple really.

You mentioned you find the SH-8 superior to the DX7S. In what way? Sound? Power? Have you tried either with low impedance headphones?

Sorry for all the questions, but I'm trying to decide which way to go (or splurge on an ADI-2 DAC).

Jan 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #193 of 463
Adi-2 may be a different level but so pricey! The SH-8 is more of a solid deal type. Can't comment on IEM ability.

Jan 23, 2019 at 2:22 AM Post #194 of 463
Really good sounding DAC for the price. I just bought a version 1.2 from Amazon and really impress by sound quality of this little guy has to offer. I don’t detect any glaring harshness which is a good thing from cheaper DACs.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back