SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Apr 26, 2022 at 2:16 AM Post #1,126 of 1,174
This weekend we (me and my dad) will change the caps on the XLR inputs, also will add coupling WIMA caps. The main problem IMO with the RCA vs XLR are the used caps - RCA is using Nichicon Bi-polar ES Muse, while the XLR is using some cheap,not even audio grade caps. We will change those caps for Nichicon KZ with WIMA coupling caps. :L3000:

Apr 26, 2022 at 8:44 AM Post #1,127 of 1,174
This weekend we (me and my dad) will change the caps on the XLR inputs, also will add coupling WIMA caps. The main problem IMO with the RCA vs XLR are the used caps - RCA is using Nichicon Bi-polar ES Muse, while the XLR is using some cheap,not even audio grade caps. We will change those caps for Nichicon KZ with WIMA coupling caps. :L3000:

For a 300 dollar amp, you'd think they would use audio grade caps at the very least! So glad I use RCA! Lol.

Please document with pictures, wed love to see. Thanks Joe! :L3000:

Apr 27, 2022 at 9:26 AM Post #1,129 of 1,174
For a 300 dollar amp, you'd think they would use audio grade caps at the very least! So glad I use RCA! Lol.

Please document with pictures, wed love to see. Thanks Joe! :L3000:
This is the thing about the entry-level gear, that to do it cost effective, they have to cut corners. But not with this type of corner cutting. :o2smile: Or that is my theory with the lower XLR input performance. I've bought a small, fully balanced dual ESS 9038Q2M DAC and after connecting it to the SP200 via XLR and RCA from my ASUS Xonar Essence STX with swapped op amps it was as close as it could get. Also with the Singxer SA-1 you have the option to bypass the caps to have a slightly better sound performance. So IMO the cap swap should be beneficial and really help the XLR inputs to shine.

Last edited:
Apr 30, 2022 at 6:31 PM Post #1,130 of 1,174
IMG_20220430_164505.jpg
IMG_20220430_172223.jpg
IMG_20220430_173714.jpg
IMG_20220430_173732.jpg

Ok, so as you can see the cap swap was successful and as @Cableaddict wrote, the holes in the PCB are super small, so we had to work a bit with them. But the replacement was a success and now I am enjoying the sound 🙂

May 1, 2022 at 7:11 AM Post #1,131 of 1,174
IMG_20220430_164505.jpgIMG_20220430_172223.jpgIMG_20220430_173714.jpgIMG_20220430_173732.jpg

Ok, so as you can see the cap swap was successful and as @Cableaddict wrote, the holes in the PCB are super small, so we had to work a bit with them. But the replacement was a success and now I am enjoying the sound 🙂

Excellent work! Do you notice and actual improvement to the sound? Do any sound testing data on the sound quality?

And does this modification effect the amps ability to output the full 6 watts? Those new caps actually look nice.

May 1, 2022 at 7:56 AM Post #1,132 of 1,174
@StarTreker my dad told me today to burn in for a few hours the amp, as those caps need some time - the first listening experience was (after the swap), that the sound is more agressive, there are more details and there is nothing to hold back the sound. The treble is more energetic, detailed, layered, the bass is cleaner as @Cableaddict wrote, hits harder. Track that I was most excited was Daft Punk - Lose yourself - the beginning with that "sparkling water" or what is that sound before was, that it is okay, but maybe a 5% would improve that sound to be very real - this was exceeded, had goosebumps on some tracks that I listened like 100 times and experienced a bass that hits harder and is cleaner. Everything is cleaner, the sound happens immediately with ease. But also is more fatiguing at the moment because of the details. Also tracks, that sounded good before now sound like ..... Don't know, if there is some compression or the file is degrading or the mastering is $hit, all track tested 24 / 96-192

Last edited:
May 1, 2022 at 10:18 AM Post #1,133 of 1,174
@StarTreker my dad told me today to burn in for a few hours the amp, as those caps need some time - the first listening experience was (after the swap), that the sound is more agressive, there are more details and there is nothing to hold back the sound. The treble is more energetic, detailed, layered, the bass is cleaner as @Cableaddict wrote, hits harder. Track that I was most excited was Daft Punk - Lose yourself - the beginning with that "sparkling water" or what is that sound before was, that it is okay, but maybe a 5% would improve that sound to be very real - this was exceeded, had goosebumps on some tracks that I listened like 100 times and experienced a bass that hits harder and is cleaner. Everything is cleaner, the sound happens immediately with ease. But also is more fatiguing at the moment because of the details. Also tracks, that sounded good before now sound like ..... Don't know, if there is some compression or the file is degrading or the mastering is $hit, all track tested 24 / 96-192

Sounds like considerable improvement! I'm very glad to hear this. SMSL should be doing this. How much did the caps cost you? Cause you figure it would be only that much of an increase in cost, to get better sound.

Of course, DIY like you did requires some skill and a small electronics solder iron. I think it be easier for SMSL to just do it.

May 1, 2022 at 1:06 PM Post #1,134 of 1,174
The 4 Nichicon UKZ caps are now 0,5€ a piece and the WIMA caps are also around that price, so it is around 4-5€ investment. It is maybe by 4€ more than the original caps.

May 26, 2022 at 3:15 PM Post #1,135 of 1,174
I swapped from a JDS Labs EL Stack to the SMSL SP200/M200 stack (because I wanted balanced output). I wonder if the caps vary from unit to unit depending on supply. I am going to open mine up when I get home and see, because I am worried/interested now.

May 27, 2022 at 1:30 AM Post #1,136 of 1,174
I swapped from a JDS Labs EL Stack to the SMSL SP200/M200 stack (because I wanted balanced output). I wonder if the caps vary from unit to unit depending on supply. I am going to open mine up when I get home and see, because I am worried/interested now.

The S.M.S.L SP200 AMP and M200 DAC series are not truly balanced. They have XLR for convenience only. Both XLR and Single Ended, both have the same output power. But these are a powerful series though, they deliver 6 watts per channel into 16 OHMS, and 3 watts per channel into 32 OHMS. And the DAC has a 2-volt RMS line out through single ended output, and 4V RMS through XLR output. As long as your not undervolting the line in to the AMP, your going to be seriously solid. How serious you ask? Well, slap on a pair of base head cannons to your ears, and crank up the volume. Put on Wiz Khalifa On My Level Bass Boosted, and you will literally pop a nut. :L3000:

May 27, 2022 at 4:16 AM Post #1,137 of 1,174
I think, that all the SP200 have the same basic caps. They sound okay, but if you want that extra umpf, then go with the cap mod.

I paired my SP200 with a cheap Chinese DAC with swapped op-amps and it is cleaner, the soundstage has more depth and height than my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card I was rocking before with only 2V RMS from balanced and single-ended output (dual 9038Q2M)

May 27, 2022 at 9:47 AM Post #1,138 of 1,174
The S.M.S.L SP200 AMP and M200 DAC series are not truly balanced. They have XLR for convenience only. Both XLR and Single Ended, both have the same output power. But these are a powerful series though, they deliver 6 watts per channel into 16 OHMS, and 3 watts per channel into 32 OHMS. And the DAC has a 2-volt RMS line out through single ended output, and 4V RMS through XLR output. As long as your not undervolting the line in to the AMP, your going to be seriously solid. How serious you ask? Well, slap on a pair of base head cannons to your ears, and crank up the volume. Put on Wiz Khalifa On My Level Bass Boosted, and you will literally pop a nut. :L3000:
So do you mean that even though the input is going into the AMP from two XLR connections, I am not actually receiving balance audio output from the 4pin XLR connection? Or is just the output power you're referring to?

May 27, 2022 at 9:48 AM Post #1,139 of 1,174
I think, that all the SP200 have the same basic caps. They sound okay, but if you want that extra umpf, then go with the cap mod.

I paired my SP200 with a cheap Chinese DAC with swapped op-amps and it is cleaner, the soundstage has more depth and height than my ASUS Xonar Essence STX sound card I was rocking before with only 2V RMS from balanced and single-ended output (dual 9038Q2M)
Thanks for the info! I haven't had any issues with the sound so far, so I will hold off on modding it until I feel the itch.

May 27, 2022 at 2:08 PM Post #1,140 of 1,174
So do you mean that even though the input is going into the AMP from two XLR connections, I am not actually receiving balance audio output from the 4pin XLR connection? Or is just the output power you're referring to?

Correct, not balanced output. Simply there for convenience. Truth is, times have changed with amps since the old days. There was a time when XLR was w bigger deal. But these modern amps do fine without balanced output now. There's no need to overthink it, just enjoy it.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back