SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Dec 11, 2021 at 5:40 AM Post #1,111 of 1,170
SMSL SP200: 6-watts into 16-ohms, 3-watts into 32-ohms. 440-mw into 300-ohms, 220-mw into 600-ohms.

In other words, strap your seatbelts, cause this AMP is going to take you for the ride of your life. Make sure to sign your waver form. SMSL is not liable for popping your cork in audiophile extacy.

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:18 AM Post #1,115 of 1,170
can someone tell me what is the specified power output on the XLR output vs the SE output?
1639225101092.png

Dec 11, 2021 at 7:41 AM Post #1,116 of 1,170
Anyone tried the HE4XX headphones on the pseudo-balanced XLR output of the SMSL SP200 amp using balanced cables? If yes, did you notice any improvement?
Do not have the HE4XX (35ohm/90dB), but have driven the Sundara (37ohm/93dB) with the SP200 through the XLR inputs and XLR headphone out.

I thought [like a few others] I heard a more open/detailed soundstage through the XLR, but did not seriously a/b XLR versus the SE headphone out. The SP200 had plenty of power but the presentation was somewhat compressed.

Eventually went directly to a Wadia 151 DAC/amp (see signature), with a speaker taps-to-4-pin XLR adapter, added a USB Disruptor, Wyred4Sound Recovery and an aftermarket cable. Result: the Sundara sound remarkably capable: balanced--tonally and frequency-wise (more-so than the Ananda, IMHO), coherent (more-so than the Ananda, IMHO), transparent and even spacious.

Last edited:
Dec 11, 2021 at 7:56 AM Post #1,117 of 1,170
what is a similarly powerful and neutral amp but with True balanced xlr output? same price range.
The Schiit Magnius is truly balanced (delivering 5W/32ohms at balanced output) and lists for $199 USD, but can be currently bought used for about $150.

Same(ish) price range. However, not having personally owned one (only had the Magni [$99, SE only, 2.4W/32ohm] for a very brief stint), I cannot attest to the Magnius's "neutrality".

https://www.schiit.com/products/magnius

Last edited:
Dec 12, 2021 at 6:54 AM Post #1,120 of 1,170
But on the manufacturer's website the specs say XLR is 4VRMS while SE is 2VRMS. That suggests there is a difference after all. Any expert opinion?

That's on the input stage. XLR gets a total of 4-volts RMS for line voltage. Where as SE gets 2-volts RMS.

All that really means is you get more input gain available, which usually means less volume required in amping.

Where as SE connection, you might have to use more volume is all. But in regards to amping on the output stage, they are the same.

Recommendation? Use XLR if you got it. If not, use SE, don't overthink it, just be happy.

Dec 12, 2021 at 10:14 AM Post #1,121 of 1,170
what is a similarly powerful and neutral amp but with True balanced xlr output? same price range.
Modern AMPs like the SP200 and A30Pro offers more than enough power over SE, one doesn't need XLR. Only advantage of XLR headphones out is the added power over SE but these AMPs already have enough power through SE so there's nothing to improve.

Feb 15, 2022 at 12:31 PM Post #1,122 of 1,170
I have a couple of amps and DACs in for the business and done some real world testing with them. I currently have:
SMSL SP200, Drop THX 789, and the Drop THX One version also.
DACs are the Soundblasterx G6 (using 3.5mm to RCA Kabeldirekt), Khadas Tone2, Sennheiser GSX1000 and JDS Atom AK4490 version.

The Drop THX 789 was the only one that I could connect with the GS1000x or Blasterx G6 without getting ground noise at 65% volume in either gain. Tried other cables and USB ports, you name it, the THX handled it no problem with a silent noise floor all the way up. The SMSL SP200 is a clean sound, not sterile like a Topping L30, but not as "fun" and relaxed as the Drop THX by comparison with more depth to the sound stage on both of those. The SP200 is accurate and micro details stand out much more than the Drop THX amps. The best music experience overall was the Drop THX amps with the JDS Atom DAC. For gaming it was a tie between the G6 as DAC and THX 789, but the Khadas Tone2 with 32 ohm MMX300s was super accurate for distance and direction. For music it was nicer than the original tone board I had for almost a year.

I'd recommend the SP200 as long as you don't plan to use it with a gaming DAC lined out to it, for production work the detail level is great, and that more than makes up for the not-large sound stage effect. The balanced side measures a little less well than the RCA input (someone at ASR did a comparison test, but it was a really small difference). The star of the show with the amp is the sensation of unlimited power for headroom if you equalize a lot. Warning: Cat owners be aware at idle the SP200 runs at 103 degrees F which isn't hot, but it is the ideal cat sleeping temperature... The Drop THX One is the fun one if you don't plan on balanced headphones, the THX 789 full size is if you plan on putting a gaming DAC on it. The SP200 is accurate to the point I have more songs to upgrade since the bad ones now sound like total rubbish, but the good ones sound even better :) Also for the SP200 the Topping D10b is a terrific performer, but having fun with the JDS Atom DAC too, both transparent.

Feb 17, 2022 at 7:00 AM Post #1,123 of 1,170
When you have the unlimited power of this..

s-l640.jpg

The cat recognizes it's warming power. And suddenly takes ownership of what you thought was yours

IMG_20210213_224051.jpg

Thankfully, my SP200 is cat free, and living free with it's volume modification.

11247411.jpg

Feb 17, 2022 at 3:49 PM Post #1,125 of 1,170
Wow! Check out the "golden knob"! Is that the SP200 Special Edition? : )

Thanks! Its StarTreker's S.M.S.L SP200 special edition, and it makes it 20% cooler, while adding potentiometer smoothness. :L3000:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back