SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Aug 24, 2022 at 2:32 AM Post #1,156 of 1,170
## JOE -

If you see this post, please get me this info.
I did finally find some thin WIMA 0.1's @ 63v, though they are slightly wider than what you show. They should work.
Still, isn't 25v enough?

And what about the other stuff?

thanks !
Sorry for not replying sooner :) we have used the 63V version, as they were sold here in Slovakia. the reason they are different is, that one has 2,5mm between the terminals and the second one has 5mm.They are the WIMA MKS 02.

As for your other question with the coupling caps on the power supply side - as I wrote before, my dad can't actually test it out and so he said, that if it can't be measured and tested, to see the difference, then what is the point? maybe if he would be like 20 years younger, then he would maybe think about it more, but he has so much stuff to do :D either way, you upgraded the 1500uF caps, next thing would be those smd caps after the PS - 470uF 25V..

For me in the future the main goal will be to replace all those caps (470 and 1500 uF).

Last edited:
Aug 24, 2022 at 11:21 PM Post #1,157 of 1,170
Thanks, Joe!

FWIW, I can't find any thin poly 0.1's at less than 63v, anyway. They may not even exist.
The MKS 02 is what I just ordered, so great to know they will fit.

The other caps I mentioned can be found, but they aren't as small as expected, and very likely won't fit, so I'm not going to even go there at this point. After adding the HF caps, I think I'll call it a day. (I'm dying to see if they make a discernible difference, on their own.) The amp sounds just fine already, so ....

Last edited:
Aug 25, 2022 at 3:00 AM Post #1,158 of 1,170
Let us know after the upgrade, if you can hear any difference. For me going from a sound card with single ended output to a balanced DAC made the biggest difference. Replacing those XLR input caps made the biggest difference in the amp, as you couldn't tell the RCA (with HF caps) and XLR (stock caps) apart. As I wrote and even the measurements on the ASR forum, the XLR had worse measurements than the RCA inputs, as those XLR inputs were muffled. With the upgrade they are crystal clear and you can tell the RCA and XLR apart now.

Last edited:
Sep 5, 2022 at 2:36 PM Post #1,160 of 1,170
We just installed the new caps and the case is about 1/10" too short for the new caps. https://imgur.com/a/FDsCVlh

I PM'd @Cableaddict about his solution or if he ran into this. Did anyone else run into this issue?

That's odd. You did yours exactly the same as I did mine, and mine fit, though just barely.
(nice clean job, BTW)

Maybe different circuit boards are just sligtly different in the layout?

My only suggestion would be to lengthen the leads, andlat the caps in the areas without any circuitry. (To the far left & right of the original caps.) Since there's nothing metaalic in those areas, you could even sand away a small part of the new caps, where they are the widest.

Or maybe cut 2 slots in the op of the case, if all else fails. The sound is worth it. - Or maybe the top will bwnd little and still go back on?

Or finally, just buy some aluminum, raise the sides, and paint it black with Duratex or 2 part epoxy. (Or get a home anodizing kit.)

I hope I don't have this same problem with any of my other five amps. - But if I do, maybe I'll find a solution.

Last edited:
Jan 5, 2023 at 4:07 AM Post #1,162 of 1,170
I used to my SMSL SP200 to compare my Topping D30 vs RME ADI-2

I used two laptops running MusicBee playing the same song, I ran the D30 -> SP200 RCA and then the RME ADI-2 -> SP200 XLR.

The laptops were right next to each other and I pressed play at the same time on both and while the song was playing swapped back and forth between RCA and XLR

End result, I couldn't hear much difference between the Topping and the RME.

Last edited:
Jun 15, 2023 at 3:38 PM Post #1,163 of 1,170
This was my first headphone amp and I got it on sale on Drop for $150 USD, so for the price I can't complain. I thought it was much better than plugging headphones directly into a phone or laptop. It has more detail and energy. I enjoyed it most for high energy genres like pop, metal, and punk. Once I tried other amps I noticed that this one was too sharp and actually hurt my ears to listen to. I also found it dry and lifeless, like other THX or measurements-focused amps. But once again, for the price it's a good deal and good entry into the hobby. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with ears that are sensitive to certain types of high frequencies (my refrigerator and AC compressors also hurt my ears).

I don't know if it's sold anymore, but many of SMSL's other THX amps use similar circuitry so any opinions I have on the SP200 would probably apply to the SP400 and others, but of course those more expensive ones probably have more power or clarity so I'm not saying they're exactly the same. I've also read that the THX 789 is pretty similar in sound but costs more.

Oct 31, 2023 at 7:30 AM Post #1,164 of 1,170
This was my first headphone amp and I got it on sale on Drop for $150 USD, so for the price I can't complain. I thought it was much better than plugging headphones directly into a phone or laptop. It has more detail and energy. I enjoyed it most for high energy genres like pop, metal, and punk. Once I tried other amps I noticed that this one was too sharp and actually hurt my ears to listen to. I also found it dry and lifeless, like other THX or measurements-focused amps. But once again, for the price it's a good deal and good entry into the hobby. I wouldn't recommend it to anyone with ears that are sensitive to certain types of high frequencies (my refrigerator and AC compressors also hurt my ears).

I don't know if it's sold anymore, but many of SMSL's other THX amps use similar circuitry so any opinions I have on the SP200 would probably apply to the SP400 and others, but of course those more expensive ones probably have more power or clarity so I'm not saying they're exactly the same. I've also read that the THX 789 is pretty similar in sound but costs more.

Thanks for your write-up. I have this amp, as well, but, I've admittedly been out of this hobby, and generally content with my stuff, since around the time of the onset of the COVID pandemic. It's only now that I'm starting to pop my head back in and begin to think about changing my headphone amp.

I'd definitely put myself in the category of people who are more sensitive to higher frequencies. Out of curiosity, what are you using now?

Last edited:
Nov 2, 2023 at 8:48 PM Post #1,165 of 1,170
Thanks for your write-up. I have this amp, as well, but, I've admittedly been out of this hobby, and generally content with my stuff, since around the time of the onset of the COVID pandemic. It's only now that I'm starting to pop my head back in and begin to think about changing my headphone amp.

I'd definitely put myself in the category of people who are more sensitive to higher frequencies. Out of curiosity, what are you using now?
I've had quite a journey with headphone amps, including 3 tube amps and 5 solid state amps. The amp I've had for the past year and been extremely happy with is the Violectric V222. It's clear and detailed but with none of the THX/measurement-focused tradeoffs of sharpness or dryness. In my opinion I would describe it as it makes music sound good, which I believe should be the goal of all audio equipment, but of course everyone has different opinions on what sounds good. It's $1300 USD and I liked it more than a $3500 tube amp I once owned.

I've read good reviews of the limited production Schiit Mjolnir 3. I haven't tried it out myself but it supposedly falls into a similar category of clear and detailed but slightly warm. They're going to release the second production batch soon so it may be worth considering as well.

Which headphones do you own? I've noticed the most change in sound from different headphones, if you're looking for bang for your buck.

Nov 3, 2023 at 1:51 AM Post #1,166 of 1,170
I've had quite a journey with headphone amps, including 3 tube amps and 5 solid state amps. The amp I've had for the past year and been extremely happy with is the Violectric V222. It's clear and detailed but with none of the THX/measurement-focused tradeoffs of sharpness or dryness. In my opinion I would describe it as it makes music sound good, which I believe should be the goal of all audio equipment, but of course everyone has different opinions on what sounds good. It's $1300 USD and I liked it more than a $3500 tube amp I once owned.

I've read good reviews of the limited production Schiit Mjolnir 3. I haven't tried it out myself but it supposedly falls into a similar category of clear and detailed but slightly warm. They're going to release the second production batch soon so it may be worth considering as well.

Which headphones do you own? I've noticed the most change in sound from different headphones, if you're looking for bang for your buck.
Appreciate your response. Glad you've found one you're content with.

I have a pair of Focal Stellia, the original Dan Clark Mr Speakers Ether from 2015, and a really old pair of Sennheiser HD600s. I primarily use the Stellia these days.
For my DACs, I've got the original Schiit Yggdrasil, with the upgraded analog board and Unison USB module, as well as a Pono Player.

Thanks for your time.

Last edited:
Nov 3, 2023 at 1:32 PM Post #1,167 of 1,170
Thinking of getting the new Schiit Midgard to replace my SP200. It gives more power and measures just as good. Anyone else?

Nov 16, 2023 at 9:04 PM Post #1,168 of 1,170
Thinking of getting the new Schiit Midgard to replace my SP200. It gives more power and measures just as good. Anyone else?
A really good upgrade from the SP200 is the Topping A30 Pro. The same huge power on all connectors, silent noise floor (95 on the ASR 50mv test which is insanely good for IEMs), and looks good too. I've had a couple of them and one on the way, the 11/11 sale on Aliexpress is still on until the 18th and you can steal one with coupons. I got one for $169 including shipping, and even less when I got the SMSL DL200 for $137 as well which kicked in bigger coupons. The DL200 is a 5 volt DAC, cheapest one you can get currently.

Dec 8, 2023 at 3:13 PM Post #1,170 of 1,170
Sorry for necroing but my main amp blew it's steams out so I digged my good ol' SP200 to take over while I get my main amp going again. I actually removed the XLR inputs because I'm using only the RCA inputs. So... Now there's good amount of space, is there any good upgrades for the RCA input caps? I do have some 470/25 KZ's laying around in my closet. Also lots of amps with some nice caps inside for salvage. Any ideas? Of course other than coupling upgrades are welcome!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back