SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Sep 19, 2021 at 7:03 PM Post #1,096 of 1,174
I don't know what is going on, i do not believe in balanced cables etc and SMSL SP200 isn't even true balanced amp.
Then WHY does the balanced output of SMSL SP200 (DAC is SMSL SU-9) open my hifiman anandas soundstage by a lot? With single ended cable the soundstage is kinda narrow and closed up (just and just outside my head) but with aftermarket balanced cable its like HD800 level, soundstage is all over my room and HUGE..

Oct 25, 2021 at 9:43 PM Post #1,098 of 1,174
there is a amazon review that this amp lacks dynamics and suffers from compressions. Has anyone felt the same way using this? Thanks

Whoever said that must be talking about a bad pairing or perhaps an issue with their source/dac or headphones. Assuming their SP200 is working properly of course.

I've had mine almost 2 years now and I'd never describe it as lacking dynamics or sounding compressed. It puts out whatever you give it; bad in bad out, etc. SP200 imo is about the most clean/clear/neutral sounding yet almost too powerful amp you can buy at it's price. I know it's not fully balanced but it goes to show how some gear doesn't need it when done properly. Don't think I've ever gone past 12 o'clock volume since it has so much power. In fact, I recently sold my fully balanced amp after realizing I hadn't used it even once since getting the SP200. Also, each time I think of upgrading to another amp, I realize how much more I'd need to spend (prob 10x more) just for a slight (5%) improvement.

Last I checked, it was selling for $160 at drop.com. That's lot less than I paid. If you know of a better amp at that price or even 2x higher please post about it here.

Oct 25, 2021 at 11:37 PM Post #1,099 of 1,174
Whoever said that must be talking about a bad pairing or perhaps an issue with their source/dac or headphones. Assuming their SP200 is working properly of course.

I've had mine almost 2 years now and I'd never describe it as lacking dynamics or sounding compressed. It puts out whatever you give it; bad in bad out, etc. SP200 imo is about the most clean/clear/neutral sounding yet almost too powerful amp you can buy at it's price. I know it's not fully balanced but it goes to show how some gear doesn't need it when done properly. Don't think I've ever gone past 12 o'clock volume since it has so much power. In fact, I recently sold my fully balanced amp after realizing I hadn't used it even once since getting the SP200. Also, each time I think of upgrading to another amp, I realize how much more I'd need to spend (prob 10x more) just for a slight (5%) improvement.

Last I checked, it was selling for $160 at drop.com. That's lot less than I paid. If you know of a better amp at that price or even 2x higher please post about it here.
Good to know there are no issues with dynamics. $160 seems like a great price for this amp. I will give it a shot. Thanks again

Oct 26, 2021 at 12:11 AM Post #1,100 of 1,174
Good to know there are no issues with dynamics. $160 seems like a great price for this amp. I will give it a shot. Thanks again
I've got one behind me and it's a good amp, but I really liked the Drop 789 One better (deeper sound stage) though the fit and finish is pretty cheap. The SP200 is built like a tank. I would recommend not to use Monoprice cables with it, sounded horrible until I got some Kabeldirekt and Cablesonline ones and then it sounded good. The XLR is there for convenience, and it has two gains, high and higher :) I'm using the Magni Heresy now, which isn't warm like the Magni 3+ but I'd describe it as "treble forgiving" for bright headphones. On the SP200 it doesn't hide anything, so you better have the rest of the chain just where you want it. The Khadas tone board was bright with it and had a hiss at 90 percent volume and 65 percent in high gain when pausing a song which I couldn't fix. The JDS Labs 4490 DAC works well, which has a seperate power supply so that might be it. Even my Soundblaster Play3 sounded good on it (consumer friendly warmish) except the output voltage was lacking, but with Windows drivers and no software effects in stereo/line out mode it really did sound good on the SP200. I get stuff all the time and pair things with any DAC laying around at the time... If I could trade this right now for a Drop 789 One I would, just to give an idea how nice the 789's sound compared.

Oct 26, 2021 at 1:14 AM Post #1,101 of 1,174
I've got one behind me and it's a good amp, but I really liked the Drop 789 One better (deeper sound stage) though the fit and finish is pretty cheap. The SP200 is built like a tank. I would recommend not to use Monoprice cables with it, sounded horrible until I got some Kabeldirekt and Cablesonline ones and then it sounded good. The XLR is there for convenience, and it has two gains, high and higher :) I'm using the Magni Heresy now, which isn't warm like the Magni 3+ but I'd describe it as "treble forgiving" for bright headphones. On the SP200 it doesn't hide anything, so you better have the rest of the chain just where you want it. The Khadas tone board was bright with it and had a hiss at 90 percent volume and 65 percent in high gain when pausing a song which I couldn't fix. The JDS Labs 4490 DAC works well, which has a seperate power supply so that might be it. Even my Soundblaster Play3 sounded good on it (consumer friendly warmish) except the output voltage was lacking, but with Windows drivers and no software effects in stereo/line out mode it really did sound good on the SP200. I get stuff all the time and pair things with any DAC laying around at the time... If I could trade this right now for a Drop 789 One I would, just to give an idea how nice the 789's sound compared.
Nice post. I like my 789 already and i think its put together decent enough. Volume knob on scratchy on first unit and i got it replaced
I will still try the sp200 just because. I may repurpose it later in secondary system
Try worlds best cables on amazon. They are well made with mogami/canare and dont burn a hole in pocket either

Oct 28, 2021 at 3:46 AM Post #1,103 of 1,174

Same here. I've got mine for 1,5 year and when thinking about replacing it with something else I just don't want to spend a lot more for just a slight bump in the overall performance. As you wrote, you can throw anything at it and it will deliver. I bought an Xduoo MT-602 for my dad as s bday gift and had a chance to listen to it for a couple of days and as it is more musical/organic and warmer sounding and I want that amp but I will definitely not sell my SP200 in the near future. I bought it for around 190Euro and that was a great price 1,5 year ago. I want to do mods to it, so I will definitely not sell it :D

Oct 28, 2021 at 10:53 AM Post #1,104 of 1,174
It's like going from really cheap interconnects that are actually not cheap enough to better quality ones. Also for me, the power cable made a big difference on the sound and the sound stage. Okay, not actually a big difference but made an improvement. :)

Nov 14, 2021 at 9:07 PM Post #1,105 of 1,174
I don't know what is going on, i do not believe in balanced cables etc and SMSL SP200 isn't even true balanced amp.
Then WHY does the balanced output of SMSL SP200 (DAC is SMSL SU-9) open my hifiman anandas soundstage by a lot? With single ended cable the soundstage is kinda narrow and closed up (just and just outside my head) but with aftermarket balanced cable its like HD800 level, soundstage is all over my room and HUGE..
Same here(!).
My aftermarket balanced cable, with an [XLR-to-1/4"] adapter, running from the single-ended socket, sounds narrower and sharper than it does running directly from the 4-pin socket [sans adapter].
Am surprised at how well the SP200 presents the Sundara: (+) clean, transparent, detailed, layered and expansive.
The Mikros 90 (closed portables) sound very spacious as well.

Last edited:
Nov 15, 2021 at 6:01 PM Post #1,106 of 1,174
It's like going from really cheap interconnects that are actually not cheap enough to better quality ones. Also for me, the power cable made a big difference on the sound and the sound stage. Okay, not actually a big difference but made an improvement. :)
The SP200 responds well to cable changes. Mine is running with a MAC PC (power cord) and SoundSilver Cosmos (interconnect), both affordable but well-performing cables.

Last edited:
Nov 16, 2021 at 7:17 AM Post #1,108 of 1,174
Actually, I only changed out the interconnect. The power cord on the SP200 has been aftermarket since day one (which wasn't too long ago). Do have some other PCs on hand, though, and might try switching them around and listening for differences.

Definitely heard improvements in clarity, detail, extension, etc., going from a copper Pipeline ET-4 interconnect to the gold-infused silver SoundSilver Cosmos.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back