SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Nov 24, 2019 at 3:43 PM Post #106 of 1,170
That sounds like an awesome system! Yea I wouldn't worry about the power cable. Just let us know what you think of it when ya get it! I also like Modi 3 as a Dac my self, did you get Bifrost 2 or the original BiFrost Multibit

The Bifrost before the new Bifrost 2, Schiit put it on sale last week, a limited amount of them for $348 ( three months ago was $600)
I’m not planing balanced in my future and I don’t care about the remote control that and the price difference ($700 vs $350) was all I needed to pull the trigger. I know Bifrost 2 have many more improvements over the anterior Bifrost, but I’m fine with that.

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:18 AM Post #108 of 1,170
but to me there is an unattractive depression of the mids and highs with the 300 ohm HD600 and HD800 which sound much better to me with the less expensive Allo Volt + D speaker amp. Horses for courses.

Still feel the same about higher impedance phones after more time with the SP200?

Thinking of pairing it with Beyer DT1990pro (250ohm) and HD 58X (150ohm). But not if there is any depression of highs!?! :deadhorse:

Dac is RME ADI-2.

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 11:29 AM Post #109 of 1,170
Still feel the same about higher impedance phones after more time with the SP200?

Thinking of pairing it with Beyer DT1990pro (250ohm) and HD 58X (150ohm). But not if there is any depression of highs!?! :deadhorse:

Dac is RME ADI-2.

Honestly if you look at HD 800's frq it actually rather forward from like 20-1k Hz, so in reality the upper mids and top end are a little recessed [assuming you have the SDR mod]

That said though I also don't like HD 800 on SMSL SP 200 :/, HD 600 though it quite nice to my ears! So no I don't feel SMSL SP200 depresses the highs, and to be honest most distortion specs we see posted online are at 1kz, but the distortion from 20-20K is not "flat" so it's possible the amp your listening with has some distortion in the top end

That distortion isn't a bad thing either, as it will add a slight bit of emphasis tho after a certain point that "emphasis" just becomes noise. A little distortion [even order] isn't a bad thing, but to much distortion can be. By the same token something that's FAR cleaner than what your used to may also come across as "depressed," @BrainFood I've got a RME ADI 2 my self and while I prefer tubes for my HD 800, 600 isn't bad by any means. And if your just using the On Board amp on RME ADI 2, I do feel you'll appreciate the improvements SMSL SP200 brings

Nov 25, 2019 at 12:38 PM Post #110 of 1,170
Honestly if you look at HD 800's frq it actually rather forward from like 20-1k Hz, so in reality the upper mids and top end are a little recessed [assuming you have the SDR mod]

That said though I also don't like HD 800 on SMSL SP 200 :/, HD 600 though it quite nice to my ears! So no I don't feel SMSL SP200 depresses the highs, and to be honest most distortion specs we see posted online are at 1kz, but the distortion from 20-20K is not "flat" so it's possible the amp your listening with has some distortion in the top end

That distortion isn't a bad thing either, as it will add a slight bit of emphasis tho after a certain point that "emphasis" just becomes noise. A little distortion [even order] isn't a bad thing, but to much distortion can be. By the same token something that's FAR cleaner than what your used to may also come across as "depressed," @BrainFood I've got a RME ADI 2 my self and while I prefer tubes for my HD 800, 600 isn't bad by any means. And if your just using the On Board amp on RME ADI 2, I do feel you'll appreciate the improvements SMSL SP200 brings

Thanks!

Reading the thread on ASR, technically at least, the best input is the RCA and best output XLR:

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-smsl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/post-247072

https://www.audiosciencereview.com/...nts-of-smsl-sp200-thx-hp-amp.9242/post-252710

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 12:46 PM Post #111 of 1,170

Oh they did, apparently the current revision is .000085 not 93, so they did close the gap on XLR in VS RCA, but RCA is still the better input

At this point I'm not going to switch over to RCA in as it's not practical for my use, however XLR out is very practical for my use!

Last edited:
Nov 25, 2019 at 2:20 PM Post #113 of 1,170

Hopefully the Canadians out there can get it direct from China on Black Friday for a better price.
I paid $249.00 and got the "creative" paperwork and free shipping. My landed cost with conversion and taxes was $370.00. The MassDrop/Monoprice options would have been $650.00ish landed in Canuck Bucks.

On a usage note, I am using this amp today with my Shure 1540's. Sounds good but open back is always better.

Shane D

Nov 25, 2019 at 5:32 PM Post #115 of 1,170
Hi @Shane D, How do you like these with your T5p's and Meze 99 classic's?

My Classic's were okay. I have not tried the T5p.2's yet as I don't think it will be a good match.

So, far (only a few days), my results are:
1) Grado GH2's - my favourite headphones. The combo sounded a little bright to me. Not a good combo.
2) Meze 99 Classic's - my go-to mobile headphones and a Very nice all rounder. Nothing special at all. Clean and clear, but didn't grab me.
3) Senn HD58X's - my cheapest and most surprising headphone. They sounded great together. A nice mix.
4) Shure 1540's - a new addition that I am still trying to figure out. Not a HUGE fan at this point, but with this amp, a very nice combo, but of course limited being a closed back. A few hours today and I will use this rig again tomorrow for some jazz.

I have been reluctant to plug in the T5p.2's as I tend to find them, sometimes, a little bright or dry. I respect the headphones immensely for their skills and abilities, but have never loved them. I suspect these two together will be a little grating, but I will try them by the weekend.

Going off topic a bit, I have started to love the T5's when hooked up to my LCX. It seems to soften their edge and give them a little soul. That was a surprise to me.

I should get through all of them by this weekend. Then with a good amount of experience listening to this amp I will go through the HP's again for maybe an hour each and see if my opinions have changed. It definitely sounds different than all my other amps and I am sure that I have some built-in biases.

Shane D

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:01 PM Post #116 of 1,170
My Classic's were okay. I have not tried the T5p.2's yet as I don't think it will be a good match.

So, far (only a few days), my results are:
1) Grado GH2's - my favourite headphones. The combo sounded a little bright to me. Not a good combo.
2) Meze 99 Classic's - my go-to mobile headphones and a Very nice all rounder. Nothing special at all. Clean and clear, but didn't grab me.
3) Senn HD58X's - my cheapest and most surprising headphone. They sounded great together. A nice mix.
4) Shure 1540's - a new addition that I am still trying to figure out. Not a HUGE fan at this point, but with this amp, a very nice combo, but of course limited being a closed back. A few hours today and I will use this rig again tomorrow for some jazz.

I have been reluctant to plug in the T5p.2's as I tend to find them, sometimes, a little bright or dry. I respect the headphones immensely for their skills and abilities, but have never loved them. I suspect these two together will be a little grating, but I will try them by the weekend.

Going off topic a bit, I have started to love the T5's when hooked up to my LCX. It seems to soften their edge and give them a little soul. That was a surprise to me.

I should get through all of them by this weekend. Then with a good amount of experience listening to this amp I will go through the HP's again for maybe an hour each and see if my opinions have changed. It definitely sounds different than all my other amps and I am sure that I have some built-in biases.

Shane D

If your T5p.2's sound anything like my T1.2 then you may be right. Tried my T1.2 with the SP200 a couple times and far from the best pairing imo.

Haven't tried the HD598 yet but my stock T50rp mk3 sounds great with this amp. Sony Z7 also sound great despite the amp being almost too powerful; can't get past 9:30 volume on low gain.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:10 PM Post #117 of 1,170
If your T5p.2's sound anything like my T1.2 then you may be right. Tried my T1.2 with the SP200 a couple times and far from the best pairing imo.

Haven't tried the HD598 yet but my stock T50rp mk3 sounds great with this amp. Sony Z7 also sound great despite the amp being almost too powerful; can't get past 9:30 volume on low gain.

What amp do you prefer with your T1.2's?

Shane D

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:47 PM Post #119 of 1,170
What amp do you prefer with your T1.2's?

Shane D

Schiit Vali 1. My Alo CV5 also works well with them imo.

Ughh, doesn't sound too promising for my DT1990 pro perhaps. Why the poor pairing and what is your source, out of interest?

I'm partial to smaller amps but always get the feeling the T1 was designed for huge tube amps playing compressed music.

My source is a fanless Win10 PC that I hand-built just for audio. Then I use a Soekris dac1101 fed into an iTube and Schiit Loki before the SP200. Just placed order for an iTube2 and waiting to confirm order for a Metrum Flint dac.

Nov 25, 2019 at 7:51 PM Post #120 of 1,170

Users who are viewing this thread

Back