SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Nov 22, 2019 at 10:07 PM Post #76 of 1,174
Yea I feel you. I guess the surprise is that the closer to "transparent" we get, the result can be less "real" sound. Seems counter-intuitive. But likely because any music/listening we have done previously has been far from the new level of "reference/transparency."

Yeah, no kidding. My favourite headphones are my Grado GH2's and Meze 99 Classic's. Not 'phones you will find in any audiophiles collection.:stuck_out_tongue:

I may well end up colouring the crap out of it with my Loki. For now I just want to try It out stock with all my 'phones and with some jazz and see where it fits in.

I am glad I bought the cheapest AND smallest THX unit.

Shane D

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:31 PM Post #77 of 1,174
Yea I think up until this point in my "audiophile" journey I've been attempting to get the "best sound possible." Now that I've gotten to a (subjectively) great spot, its often more about technicalities than enjoyment. I'm definitely blown away often by the technical capibities of the RME + 887 + Verite, very impressive sound (subjective), but sometimes I just wanna chill and enjoy the music more.

I'm considering the idea of returning the 887 is and just buying the SP200.

Nov 22, 2019 at 10:48 PM Post #79 of 1,174
Yea I think up until this point in my "audiophile" journey I've been attempting to get the "best sound possible." Now that I've gotten to a (subjectively) great spot, its often more about technicalities than enjoyment. I'm definitely blown away often by the technical capibities of the RME + 887 + Verite, very impressive sound (subjective), but sometimes I just wanna chill and enjoy the music more.

I'm considering the idea of returning the 887 is and just buying the SP200.

I think it is a good addition, for the right price. 887 and the 789 are both $400.00US. That works out to a landed cost in Canada of about $650.00. I got the SP200 for $370.00, all in.

IMO, everyone should probably have one THX amp and one set of electrostatics in their collection.

I have realized that I am not an audiophile and that I like fun headphones, warm amps and a wide variety of sounds.

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 12:50 AM Post #80 of 1,174
Nice comparison, appreciate your thoughts on this. I got the Monoprice 887 and I've owned the Massdrop 789 previously so just wanted to see some thoughts on the SP200. I definitely agree with you that a downside of the new THX amps is the dryness and lack of heft and decay. It feels too fast for its own good sometimes and can lead to dull listening. I read your comparisons with the ADI-2 as well and they seem perfectly aligned with my feelings towards its AMP portion. I'm finding the Mjolnir 2 with LISST to be the most realistic experience from the "SS" amps I own. The 887 is the most linear and cleanest, but lacks engagement.

Happy to hear it!

An honestly transparent HeadAmps work nicely with more "real" sounding headphones. Ether CX is quite nice on SP 200! An as a reviewer I think having a transparent amp is worthwhile, I'm just happy it's not "bright" like what I've heard about the 789

Nov 23, 2019 at 7:51 AM Post #81 of 1,174
Happy to hear it!

An honestly transparent HeadAmps work nicely with more "real" sounding headphones. Ether CX is quite nice on SP 200! An as a reviewer I think having a transparent amp is worthwhile, I'm just happy it's not "bright" like what I've heard about the 789

I have found the SP200 bright. Not on every song, but found some guitar work and vocals piercing. One that comes to mind is Malibu by Hole. It was a night and day difference compared to the Burson Fun. With Florence and the Machine, I didn't notice much difference at all.

Every so often I hear something bad and I immediately switch to the Burson and it's not there.

I am using Grado GH2's. I am afraid to hook my Beyer T5p.2's up to this amp, but I will probably try this soon.

So, is it a bright amp or does it just accentuate flawed recordings that the Burson glosses over? I have no idea at this point.

Shane D

Nov 23, 2019 at 9:56 AM Post #83 of 1,174
I just watched your review DarKu last night DarKu. Nice coverage!
@Shane D I notice myself feeling like the 887 is bright on various tracks, but when I switch to RME ADI-2 Amp or Mjolnir 2 on that same song, the brightness is still there. I think the 887 just makes it more easily noticeable. As a whole though, I think the 887 is very linear and allows me to turn the volume up past where I would on both RME and Mjolnir 2 amps because of the even frequency response.
@Mshenay I may try to check out Ether CX, or wait to demo AF2. I owned the Ether 2, and one of the main positives of that headphone to me was definitely the realism.

Nov 23, 2019 at 10:14 AM Post #84 of 1,174
I am listening this morning with my Meze 99 Classic's and do not find the sound bright at all. I tried Malibu by Hole and it was smooth as silk.
Of course the overall sound is not as airy and open as the Grado's, but that is to be expected.

Maybe I just need to find a headphone that is a good match for this amp. The Beyer's really surprised me with their synergy with the LCX.

Maybe I'll end up keeping five amps and five sets of headphones. Essentially five separate systems. Sounds like a bit of a nightmare, but maybe...

It seems cruel to separate happy couples.:smile:

Shane D

Nov 23, 2019 at 3:00 PM Post #86 of 1,174
I found a nice combo for my SP200: It is the Senn HD58X. This little cheapie headphone keeps surprising me.

Shane D

Last edited:
Nov 23, 2019 at 11:41 PM Post #89 of 1,174
I ordered my set direct from the smsl official store and am nowhwere near getting it. Anyone can direct me to decent power cables for it in the mean time?

Nov 24, 2019 at 1:23 AM Post #90 of 1,174
I ordered my set direct from the smsl official store and am nowhwere near getting it. Anyone can direct me to decent power cables for it in the mean time?

I like Pangaea, I've not explored anything nicer.

Here's my "cable" talk, if your have power issues in your home like mains noise, then yea cables may help. I had a problem in my apartment, PC keep crashing. I swapped out an old unknown power cable to Pangaea and bam problem solved. I had a few other unknown power cables from like amps and stuff with the same input but no avail.

So YMMV but try Pangaea, as listed in my review I did find that outside of my REF system and with only [stock cables and wall outlets] there was a lack of low end resolve and a sense of "blur" overall from what is likely mains hum or a 60Hz Hum. Again swapping into my REF System with all it's power conditioners, self powered USB Devices, and Pangaea cables I noticed better low frequency resolve and slam without the "blur"

Users who are viewing this thread

Back