SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Nov 21, 2019 at 1:13 PM Post #62 of 1,174
Thanks!! Good to know since I own Modi 3, but my intention is to pair it with the Multibit dac’s like Modi MB or Bifrost MB and they have a different sound/impact than Modi 3.

It's less about SP 200 and more about Modi and other multibit stuff, to my ears the Modi 3 is a little soft and wet. I like the staging actually compared to other DACs around $100 but it can lack a certain edge sometimes with certain headphones. What I don't hear from SP 200 is an added "edge" it doesn't sound soft either, so HE 560 which is a harder faster headphone pair'd well enough with Modi 3 I felt. An SP 200 was powerful enough to do HE 560 justice imo

Nov 21, 2019 at 7:33 PM Post #63 of 1,174
So is it confirmed that you have good quality gain with DAC >> AMP rear XLR?
Why have I been thinking of a low cost non xlr dac like the Topping D10 or D30 but I think that would be down to the quality of what the SP200 offers, and that the right and best way would be at least a smsl SU-8 what do you suggest?

Nov 21, 2019 at 10:47 PM Post #64 of 1,174
Updated:
An amp with lot of power and features but not as musically satisfying as other amps I have heard in the same price range so I returned it for a refund. The SMSL HO200 that I recently bought is another story. I think it is probably going to be a keeper.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 10:50 PM Post #65 of 1,174
Like the amp very much from 4 pin xlr output with HIFiMan HE5 (original wood cup version) and Verum 1 but to me there is an unattractive depression of the mids and highs with the 300 ohm HD600 and HD800 which sound much better to me with the less expensive Allo Volt + D speaker amp. Horses for courses.

I will say I did notice the staging was a bit compressed with my own HD 800, but I didn't have any such issues with my own Planars like youself. I'm going to explore this more now with my Atom RHNP for comparison

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:15 PM Post #66 of 1,174
Like the amp very much from 4 pin xlr output with HIFiMan HE5 (original wood cup version) and Verum 1 but to me there is an unattractive depression of the mids and highs with the 300 ohm HD600 and HD800 which sound much better to me with the less expensive Allo Volt + D speaker amp. Horses for courses.

Try using the RCA inputs and 6.3mm output.

Nov 21, 2019 at 11:54 PM Post #67 of 1,174
Try using the RCA inputs and 6.3mm output.
Edited:
Ultimately gave up on the SP200 and sold it. It offers a lot of power/features for the money I but just couldn't grow to like the amp's tonal balance enough to want to keep listening to it. Yes, tried it both single ended and balanced before I gave up.

Last edited:
Nov 21, 2019 at 11:58 PM Post #68 of 1,174
I'll have some thoughts on this here shortly, starting on my comparisons for SP 200 VS a few other things with HD 600

20191121_232243.jpg

Nov 22, 2019 at 2:16 AM Post #69 of 1,174
Ok so here are my thoughts with just HD 600

I will be honest, outside of my reference system I did/could hear that slightly forward mid-bass to low mid you guys talked about. Honestly I feel it might be a side effect of some 60hz hum off inbound from the Power supply, I used to have issues with that so I swapped my entire refferance review system over to pangea power cables and I run two Mid Range Furman Power-conditioners, each with both analog and digital noise filtering. This systems also has a Schiit Etir running USB to COAX and even my USB is a dedicated PCI card with it's own PSU lead within my desktop. So while I get that not every one buys into the effects of power conditioning I've found benefits.

An discussions with a few of the Tube Vendors/Manufacturers I work with a lot of them confirm the negative side effects of having that 60hz hum off the PSU and also confirm the benefits of removing that noise. Some of you have also seen this referred to as "mains hum," 120hz is typically a ground loop and thankfully I've never had much issues with that aside from Hugo 2? Anyways, with what I feel is a system that effectively removes the majority of " 60 hz Mains Humm" I don't hear any of the "forward" mid bass and low mids.

That said, removing THAT literal noise really opens this unit up I feel! A lot of the issues I had with staging also dissipated once there was better clarity in the low end as I was able to discern longer reverb trails and a more vivid sense of space. Literally sounded like a walled in space had it's "walls" knocked down likely that mains humm masking and overlapping with those low frequency reverb trails.

20191122_015324_xx.jpeg

Anyways moving onto the Amp by Amp Comparison I really did find SP 200 to be the best among them all

Tracklist tonight was simple
  1. Eagles - Hotel California [Hell Freezes Over (Simpy Vinyl 180g 24Bit Rip)
  2. Hwayoon Lee & Daniil Trifonov & Roman Patkoló & Anne-Sophie Mutter & Maximilian Hornung - Schubert: Piano Quintet In A Major, Op. 114, D 667-"The Trout"-4. Thema-Andantino-Variazioni I-V-Allegretto [Forellenquintett - Trout Quintet (Live)]

RME ADI 2 HiPower Out was
  • Clean Envelope and Tonality
  • Lacked some Dynamic Contrast
  • Lacked clarity during busy passages
  • Staging was a little disjointed sometimes but not "intimate"
JDS Labs Atom
  • Slightly Soft Envelope
    • Slight demphasis on attack or leading edge of sound
  • Clean Tonality
  • Good Dynamic Contrast
  • Slightly Smeared Clarity during busy passages
    • Better than RME ADI2 hiPower Out tho
RHNP
  • Slightly Soft/Slow Envelope
    • Slight emphasis on sustain and release
      • Added a sense of heft and weight in the lows and mids without being "soft"
      • Presented a "sweeter" top end
    • Attack was still well defined
  • Slightly Thick/Wet Tonality
  • Slightly Intimate Staging
    • Good precision and cohesiveness but not as "open"
RHNP was as detailed as SP 200 despite not being as transparent. I'll admit I really enjoy RHNP with dynamics that have rolled off bass so HD 600 and K501 pair quite nicely. I strongly dislike HD 800 with RHNP however!!!

I'm moving on to comparing SP 200 to my Hybrid Tube [Ember II with even more power conditioning* lol] with my Planars
*ala @atomicbob noise nuke

Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 4:56 AM Post #71 of 1,174
IMG_1118_XX.jpg

An finally I wrapped up the night's listening session by comparing SP 200 to my own Project Ember II, mine has all bypasses active with a Psvane CV181-TII [6SN7] and the aforementioned @atomicbob noise nuke

This comparison was closer than I thought, in the end for my LCD 2 I still felt my Ember was the better amp but here's how the two units differed

SMSL SP 200
  • Drier yet Smoother Tonality
  • Better Defined Macro-dynamics
  • Even Envelope
  • Slightly diffuse Micro-Dynamics
Mshenay's Project Ember II
  • Slight Upper Mid & Top End Emphasis
  • Richer Tonality
    • Proportionate sense of heft and weight
  • Better Defined Micro Dynamics
  • Sharper Envelope
    • Slight emphasis on the attack
    • Slight emphasis on the release or reverb trails
  • More precise cohesive imaging
  • Reserved Macro-dynamics
Despite Ember II's slight emphasis creating the perception of more detail I did feel the two units had the same level of total resolve and detail retrieval.

What was lacking with SMSL SP200 and my LCD 2 was a lack of weight and presence, things were often too quick and lacked heft with SMSL SP200. Ember II had a more grounded presentation which not only sounded more natural to my ears but also allowed for a greater perception of detail. Tonally drums often sounded a little thin and one dimensional and Cello's had too much emphasis on the rasp of the body & bow vs the weight and reverb of the instrument. Lifeless is sadly the best way to describe the synergy between Prefazor LCD 2 and SMSL SP200, my LCD 2 sounded much more ALIVE with Ember II.

But overall though what I appreciate about SMSL SP200 is it's consistency. While subjectively didn't enjoy it with my Prefazor LCD 2 I also understand part of that subjective experience has to do with the unique presentation of the headphone it self. Part of why I enjoy Ember II so much is it's kinda odd presentation and ultimate synergy with my DAC an preferred headphones in MY system. Ember II is a tool I've learned how best to use and I don't always like recommending it as not every one will appreciate nor experiment with it sufficiently to get it to perform at it's best within their system. Granted there are no massive LIFE changing tweaks that make Ember II something it isn't in terms of resolve and presentation but the devil is in the details and the small details are what you can fine tune with Ember II. Heck I also have a second tube for my Ember II is quite dry and has a slightly different presentation.

Ultimately SMSL SP 200's more even envelope, linear frequency response, high power output and transparent presentation will prove more useful/reliable to those without the time or desire to embrace the Project of tuning Ember II.

Attachments

• IMG_1118.jpg
    IMG_1118.jpg
    2.8 MB · Views: 0
Last edited:
Nov 22, 2019 at 8:07 AM Post #72 of 1,174

An finally I wrapped up the night's listening session by comparing SP 200 to my own Project Ember II, mine has all bypasses active with a Psvane CV181-TII [6SN7] and the aforementioned @atomicbob noise nuke

This comparison was closer than I thought, in the end for my LCD 2 I still felt my Ember was the better amp but here's how the two units differed

SMSL SP 200
  • Even Envelope
  • Richer Tonality
  • Sharper Envelope
Despite Ember II's slight emphasis creating the perception of more detail I did feel the two units had the same level of total resolve and detail retrieval.

What was lacking with SMSL SP200 and my LCD 2 was a lack of weight and presence, things were often too quick and lacked heft with SMSL SP200. Ember II had a more grounded presentation which not only sounded more natural to my ears but also allowed for a greater perception of detail. Tonally drums often sounded a little thin and one dimensional and Cello's had too much emphasis on the rasp of the body & bow vs the weight and reverb of the instrument. Lifeless is sadly the best way to describe the synergy between Prefazor LCD 2 and SMSL SP200, my LCD 2 sounded much more ALIVE with Ember II.

But overall though what I appreciate about SMSL SP200 is it's consistency. While subjectively didn't enjoy it with my Prefazor LCD 2 I also understand part of that subjective experience has to do with the unique presentation of the headphone it self. Part of why I enjoy Ember II so much is it's kinda odd presentation and ultimate synergy with my DAC an preferred headphones in MY system. Ember II is a tool I've learned how best to use and I don't always like recommending it as not every one will appreciate nor experiment with it sufficiently to get it to perform at it's best within their system. Granted there are no massive LIFE changing tweaks that make Ember II something it isn't in terms of resolve and presentation but the devil is in the details and the small details are what you can fine tune with Ember II. Heck I also have a second tube for my Ember II is quite dry and has a slightly different presentation.

Ultimately SMSL SP 200's more even envelope, linear frequency response, high power output and transparent presentation will prove more useful/reliable to those without the time or desire to embrace the Project of tuning Ember II.

Great comparison thanks!

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:33 PM Post #73 of 1,174

SMSL SP 200
  • Even Envelope
  • Richer Tonality
  • Sharper Envelope

Nice comparison, appreciate your thoughts on this. I got the Monoprice 887 and I've owned the Massdrop 789 previously so just wanted to see some thoughts on the SP200. I definitely agree with you that a downside of the new THX amps is the dryness and lack of heft and decay. It feels too fast for its own good sometimes and can lead to dull listening. I read your comparisons with the ADI-2 as well and they seem perfectly aligned with my feelings towards its AMP portion. I'm finding the Mjolnir 2 with LISST to be the most realistic experience from the "SS" amps I own. The 887 is the most linear and cleanest, but lacks engagement.

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:50 PM Post #74 of 1,174
Nice comparison, appreciate your thoughts on this. I got the Monoprice 887 and I've owned the Massdrop 789 previously so just wanted to see some thoughts on the SP200. I definitely agree with you that a downside of the new THX amps is the dryness and lack of heft and decay. It feels too fast for its own good sometimes and can lead to dull listening. I read your comparisons with the ADI-2 as well and they seem perfectly aligned with my feelings towards its AMP portion. I'm finding the Mjolnir 2 with LISST to be the most realistic experience from the "SS" amps I own. The 887 is the most linear and cleanest, but lacks engagement.

It's kind of funny that we all knew what THX's are all about but we are all a little disappointed in the sound. We knew it was going to be quiet, transparent and neutral and we all seem to be a little surprised it has no - take your pick.

I am NOT an audiophile and I really don't want anything transparent or neutral, but I thought this would complete my collection. Also, in Canada the landed price is just over half of the 887/789 so I figured it wouldn't hurt that bad if I was underwhelmed.

To be clear, I don't dislike my SP200, but I am a little underwhelmed against my Burson Fun-Classic. It's sound may change or I may change my opinion and there is still lots of testing and comparing left to do.

Shane D

Nov 22, 2019 at 9:57 PM Post #75 of 1,174
It's kind of funny that we all knew what THX's are all about but we are all a little disappointed in the sound. We knew it was going to be quiet, transparent and neutral and we all seem to be a little surprised it has no - take your pick.

I am NOT an audiophile and I really don't want anything transparent or neutral, but I thought this would complete my collection. Also, in Canada the landed price is just over half of the 887/789 so I figured it wouldn't hurt that bad if I was underwhelmed.

To be clear, I don't dislike my SP200, but I am a little underwhelmed against my Burson Fun-Classic. It's sound may change or I may change my opinion and there is still lots of testing and comparing left to do.

Shane D
Yea I feel you. I guess the surprise is that the closer to "transparent" we get, the result can be less "real" sound. Seems counter-intuitive. But likely because any music/listening we have done previously has been far from the new level of "reference/transparency."

Users who are viewing this thread

Back