SMSL SP200 THX AAA 888 Balanced AMP!
Jun 16, 2020 at 5:19 PM Post #691 of 1,170
In my experience ordering online, equipment comes to you with the power cord required for your region. So if you ordered in the UK, I would expect it to be a UK plug. But doesn't the M200 use the same connection at the unit as the SP200 does, standard 3-pin computer cable? If so, even if it comes with the wrong cable, I am sure you have a UK plug that uses the standard computer 3-pin connection on the other end right?

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:25 PM Post #692 of 1,170
Incase you need a power cable and don't have one for the units you bought, here is a link to one. You might have to adjust the search for Amazon UK though, as my link takes you to Amazon US.
3-Pin Computer Power Cable UK Plug
41giaY8xjvL._AC_.jpg

Jun 16, 2020 at 5:30 PM Post #694 of 1,170
Urgh, I debated using shenzen or hifigo, I have ordered audio cables from China which were excellent and arrived quickly...the lead time of July
/August put me off but I wish I had tempered my impatience now. Audiophonics will probably take longer.

Yea I have bought a sp200 off ebay but need a UK plug for that too. I cant wait.

Thanks for the info
The SP200 is different to the M200 as it needs a kettle lead since the power supply is built into it. The M200 power supply needs one of these https://www.google.com/url?sa=t&sou...Vaw0kp7mYQ0-01Aet_7I4tF03&cshid=1592339732848

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:03 PM Post #695 of 1,170
Is this gonna be good with trn v90 or blon bl 03 IEMs? I read it won't be that good with low impedance IEMs. V90 is 22 Ohms and bl 03 is 32 Ohms.
Sensitivity is 110 dB/mW for the v90 and 102dB/mW the bl 03
I'm not an expert so I don't know what to look for decide what amp to buy

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:19 PM Post #696 of 1,170
Is this gonna be good with trn v90 or blon bl 03 IEMs? I read it won't be that good with low impedance IEMs. V90 is 22 Ohms and bl 03 is 32 Ohms.
Sensitivity is 110 dB/mW for the v90 and 102dB/mW the bl 03
I'm not an expert so I don't know what to look for decide what amp to buy

The SMSL SP200 is way too much amp for IEM's, it was designed to power On Ear and Over Ear headphones. Even if you have the switch in low gain, as soon as you raise the volume till you hear sound out of both ears, the volume will already be too loud. IEM's don't require much power to drive, you can easily get away with an amp that does between 450MW to 800MW. I have a Fiio A3 and a Fiio A5 that would easily power those IEM's, and both of those amps cost less then the SMSL too. Yes they are portable, but like I said, all the IEM's need.

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:30 PM Post #697 of 1,170
The SMSL SP200 is way too much amp for IEM's, it was designed to power On Ear and Over Ear headphones. Even if you have the switch in low gain, as soon as you raise the volume till you hear sound out of both ears, the volume will already be too loud. IEM's don't require much power to drive, you can easily get away with an amp that does between 450MW to 800MW. I have a Fiio A3 and a Fiio A5 that would easily power those IEM's, and both of those amps cost less then the SMSL too. Yes they are portable, but like I said, all the IEM's need.
Thanks for the info! My main headphone is a Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 Ohms (I listen mostly with that), but sometimes I like to listen the v90 or the bl03 just to rest the top of my head, the IEMs are more comfortable. I was looking for an amp that works with both, I was torn between this or the A50 by Topping but I'm afraid it has the same problem as this SMSL

Last edited:
Jun 17, 2020 at 6:46 PM Post #698 of 1,170
Thanks for the info! My main headphone is a Beyerdynamic dt 990 pro 250 Ohms (I listen mostly with that), but sometimes I like to listen the v90 or the bl03 just to rest the top of my head, the IEMs are more comfortable. I was looking for an amp that works with both, I was torn between this or the A50 by Topping but I'm afraid it has the same problem as this SMSL

Your welcome, happy to help. Most people own more then one amp for this very reason. You could get the SMSL SP200 for your Beyerdynamic DT990, and you could get the Fiio A3 or Fiio A5 for your IEM's. FYI, if you do decide to purchase the SMSL SP200, make sure you purchase a replacement volume knob of the color you choose. The SP200 comes with a crappy plastic knob that none of us like. But you can replace it with an all aluminum knob of the color of your choice, for only a couple of bucks. They not only look better on the amp, but the added weight, helps to smoothen out the POT movement.

Yes it does come in black, here is the black version...
Black Volume Knob

This is the silver knob if someone wants that...
Silver Volume Knob

This is a blue knob version...
Blue Volume Knob

And for those who like it red as can be...
Red Volume Knob

And this is of course the gold volume knob that I have...
Gold Volume Knob

Here's a pic of mine!
11247449.jpg

Jun 17, 2020 at 6:51 PM Post #699 of 1,170
Love it! Thanks again, if I pull the trigger I most definitely buy the knob too

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:33 AM Post #700 of 1,170
have you even tried them with your shures? This amp sounds excellent with my custom iems and i can safely use my iems with this amp, albeit with very limited volume range. Make sure that you use a source that is rca for iems, typically rca outs are lower voltage than xlr and therefore will not be as loud when amplified

Jun 20, 2020 at 11:40 AM Post #701 of 1,170
Your welcome, happy to help. Most people own more then one amp for this very reason. You could get the SMSL SP200 for your Beyerdynamic DT990, and you could get the Fiio A3 or Fiio A5 for your IEM's. FYI, if you do decide to purchase the SMSL SP200, make sure you purchase a replacement volume knob of the color you choose. The SP200 comes with a crappy plastic knob that none of us like. But you can replace it with an all aluminum knob of the color of your choice, for only a couple of bucks. They not only look better on the amp, but the added weight, helps to smoothen out the POT movement.

Yes it does come in black, here is the black version...
Black Volume Knob

This is the silver knob if someone wants that...
Silver Volume Knob

This is a blue knob version...
Blue Volume Knob

And for those who like it red as can be...
Red Volume Knob

And this is of course the gold volume knob that I have...
Gold Volume Knob

Here's a pic of mine!
11247449.jpg
these knobs are way too large for the opening, with improper installation, they will scratch the paint of the sp200. I recommend a 20mm diameter knob instead.
all colours

Jun 20, 2020 at 5:15 PM Post #702 of 1,170
these knobs are way too large for the opening, with improper installation, they will scratch the paint of the sp200. I recommend a 20mm diameter knob instead.
all colours

I reviewed them in my thread on the amp. All you have to do, is back the knob off slightly about a papers thickness or so, and then tighten down the lock screw. Doing this was second nature to me, as I am a mechanic, and I own a feeler gauge, it easily allowed me to get the right distance, to prevent it from rubbing against the casing. Yes, you could go with the same size knob as the original 20mm. But its in my opinion, that larger knobs are better, easier to grip when rotating.

My size comparison image...
11247450.jpg

I realize that people who are not in the field of mechanics, may not know what a feeler gauge is.
IMG_1852.JPG

.005 is 5 thousands of an inch
.127 mm for those of you in metric land
Link To A Affordable Feeler Gauge

Hopefully this helps those of you to easily set the distance.

Last edited:
Jun 26, 2020 at 1:26 PM Post #703 of 1,170
After reading the comments, I came to the conclusion that the SP200 is suitable for a certain type of headphones with a certain specific sound signature, but not for everyone. In that case, I still can't find someone who has had the Sendy Aiva and how they behave with the SP200, I hope it is a good combination. From the experiences of other sp200 users it seems to behave well with planar headphones.
Now, I think it is also important here that Dac is combining. The sp200 by giving a neutral sound signature without coloration, can be combined with Dacs that have a more fun sound and not as analytical or neutral as that of the sp200, that would make it sound rougher, according to my reasoning. I may be wrong, but that may be why the sp200 pairs well with the m200 (AK4497) or D70, we know that the AKM signature is softer and more musical and could counteract the sound given by the sp200. The truth is that the world of audiophilia is very maddening haha

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:19 PM Post #704 of 1,170
Yes, I have bought one of those for the sp200 thanks, I was not sure if I would need the same cable for the M200. I wil prob purchase another just in case, thank you
To help other readers deep in the small print on the smsl website, should you order from China, they do say they will send mains cable based on the shipping address or you can tell them when you order. Therefore for me in UK mains cable supplied was EU 2 pin. I still use mine with an EU to UK travel adapter but I have all the attached equipment, sound source and DAC on filtered mains and LPS. Any kettle lead will work fine.

Jun 26, 2020 at 3:27 PM Post #705 of 1,170
After reading the comments, I came to the conclusion that the SP200 is suitable for a certain type of headphones with a certain specific sound signature, but not for everyone. In that case, I still can't find someone who has had the Sendy Aiva and how they behave with the SP200, I hope it is a good combination. From the experiences of other sp200 users it seems to behave well with planar headphones.
Now, I think it is also important here that Dac is combining. The sp200 by giving a neutral sound signature without coloration, can be combined with Dacs that have a more fun sound and not as analytical or neutral as that of the sp200, that would make it sound rougher, according to my reasoning. I may be wrong, but that may be why the sp200 pairs well with the m200 (AK4497) or D70, we know that the AKM signature is softer and more musical and could counteract the sound given by the sp200. The truth is that the world of audiophilia is very maddening haha
Check this out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back