SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Jan 18, 2018 at 6:23 AM Post #241 of 298
the cable is the one that came with the m8a, so assume it should be able to deliver... anyway my dad has the same dac, with the original cable, and later i checked to see if my cable was the culprit, but no it didn't matter.
when i originally checked on another computer it wasn't with the very same usb cable i've (although its the same model), as i said i used his cable later to see if my cable was defective maybe... anyway, now im suspecting it might be noisy usb connections that cause all of it. BTW, i would rather buy new usb slots to connect to my motherboard, as i've noticed my pc doesn't have coax output, which would require me to buy extra rca output slots to connect to the motherboard that cost 30$. extra usb slots is probably cheaper, although i havent checked yet, no??
edit:never mind what i just said about the price of the extra coax output. i found something cheaper for 10$. will that be good??? https://www.ebay.com/itm/SPDIF-Opti...r-ASUS-Gigabyte-MSI-Motherboard-/251666244729

Last edited:
Jan 18, 2018 at 8:11 AM Post #242 of 298
yeah, the problem is that the USB stuff is integrated on the motherboard...and SPDI/F is not better than USB but i suppose that's all you can try. :-/

Jan 31, 2018 at 10:08 AM Post #243 of 298
Just a headsup. I contacted massdrop about my issue and they offered a full refund. They even paid for the shipping which surprised me because I live in germany. I got a schiit modi 2 uber instead. It arrived today and I got no issues with it. I also was able to use USB without static. I guess this is because of the linear PSU.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:10 PM Post #244 of 298
Just a headsup. I contacted massdrop about my issue and they offered a full refund. They even paid for the shipping which surprised me because I live in germany. I got a schiit modi 2 uber instead. It arrived today and I got no issues with it. I also was able to use USB without static. I guess this is because of the linear PSU.

Glad you fixed it but the crackle as you call it was almost certainly caused by the switching mode power supply in your PC transmitting radio frequency interference through the USB cable or back through to mains to your DAC power supply. I had the same problem and ended up driving my SMSL M9 DAC with a laptop, Impressed with massdrop's customer service by the way.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:31 PM Post #245 of 298
Glad you fixed it but the crackle as you call it was almost certainly caused by the switching mode power supply in your PC transmitting radio frequency interference through the USB cable or back through to mains to your DAC power supply. I had the same problem and ended up driving my SMSL M9 DAC with a laptop, Impressed with massdrop's customer service by the way.

I also noticed the static is still present on the schiit but way less audible. Yes I also think it is something with the computer because if I move my mouse I will hear a response but I don't think it is my PSU of my computer I have a corsair ax860 which should be a very good PSU. Also my smsl m8a had the 705.6khz not working by that I mean completely only crackles.

Jan 31, 2018 at 2:41 PM Post #246 of 298
You are certainly having a bad earth aka earth loop. Carefully check all cables, remove them one by one it could even be a network cable, until the problem dissapears. All devices should be connected to the same mains plug.

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:15 PM Post #248 of 298
So I tried out a few things but I still got the same issues. Everything was connected to the same mains plug and I only had the dac, amp and the computer connected. The computer only had the DAC connected. I think my computer is just really noisy. Adding the mouse adds more noise when moving and if the GPU is being used it also get worse. So I guess just use SPDIF? Is there any real advantage using USB that I should really care the annoyance?

Jan 31, 2018 at 5:49 PM Post #249 of 298
So I tried out a few things but I still got the same issues. Everything was connected to the same mains plug and I only had the dac, amp and the computer connected. The computer only had the DAC connected. I think my computer is just really noisy. Adding the mouse adds more noise when moving and if the GPU is being used it also get worse. So I guess just use SPDIF? Is there any real advantage using USB that I should really care the annoyance?

You have arrived at the same conclusion as me. Which is there is no cure for a noisy USB driven DAC connected to a mains powered PC. You could try powering your DAC with a 5 volt DC power bank battery. Otherwise it's optical or coaxial connection only which rules out the higher DSD speeds. Laptop PCs do not suffer from this problem.

Feb 8, 2018 at 3:45 AM Post #251 of 298
You are literally just trolling this thread now man.

I've been here since the beginning with the M8A since I was one of the first people to buy one.
Its a great DAC, but to claim that Upsampling from 44.1 to 512DSD is actually giving any "radical improvement" is rediculous.
I read a bunch about up-sampling and like I said it can help in some cases, but just crazy up-sampling everything is not going to make your music so much better than it was before.
Sad but you have zero idea of what you are talking about. You do this on other boards also. A one year self proclaimed expert. This tends to be one of the nets problems and stops many people from joining in valid discourse. Please go learn before spouting a bunch of junk. Just a quick small lesson. Up-sampling can bypass the internal filtering of the dac and can sound much better. Your comments are sadly mostly clueless banter. Here is a link to read. Only one page, easy to handle. If you want to learn more read up on HQ Player.

https://audirvana.com/?p=4015

Feb 8, 2018 at 6:22 PM Post #253 of 298
Don’t think I am impressed with my recent MassDrop one, have been listening for about a week and I find myself trying to talk myself into liking it. To me it sounds “over processed” for lack of a better description.
:beerchug:

Edit: thru main system, no headphones.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back