SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Jun 18, 2018 at 11:53 AM Post #272 of 298
My doubts stand now between the m8a with the ess9038 or the XiangSheng dac 05.

They have the same price and do the same. The XS has a valve output.

Jun 18, 2018 at 2:55 PM Post #273 of 298
My doubts stand now between the m8a with the ess9038 or the XiangSheng dac 05.

They have the same price and do the same. The XS has a valve output.

I replaced my m8 with an m8a and found the improved XMOS xu208 with dsd512 generated a slightly warmer sound with no loss of detail. I use dsd512 upsampling. The XiangSheng DAC 05b (i wouldn't bother with the dac 05a) uses two ak4995, xMOS xu208, valve output stage and balanced interface which should result in an even warmer sound ( pronounced mid range with less digital shrill). So it really comes down to your personal taste. Note the balanced interface means you can place it further from your amp.

Last edited:
Jul 10, 2018 at 3:17 AM Post #275 of 298
i have the smsl m8a es90282qm dac, so what is the difference between in SQ for the newer dac: ES90382qm and the my current M8a dac....?
i was shocked that that they changed the dac silently. Also i checked the official SMSL website saying it added 10 DSP Adjustment.... my guts telling me its a gimmick dou....

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:25 AM Post #276 of 298
I have a smsl m8a and topping d50 and I find the d50 has a slight edge on the smsl probably due to the twin 9038q2m. I would say the d50 (which I notice you have) would be very close in sq to the new smsl. How do you rate your other DACs?

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:32 AM Post #277 of 298
to my ears da topping d50 retrieve more detail than my m8a and d50 is a little warmer than m8a and i found the m8a treble is crisps and forward. overall they almost similar. Btw i stack the SMSL m8a with SMSL sAp-12 amp...

Jul 10, 2018 at 3:39 AM Post #278 of 298
I dunno shud i get the newer version of the SMSL M8a because of the 10 dsp adjustment prolly u guys can help me clarify more on this.... Capture.JPG Capture.JPG
Capture.JPG

Jul 10, 2018 at 1:53 PM Post #280 of 298
I dunno shud i get the newer version of the SMSL M8a because of the 10 dsp adjustment prolly u guys can help me clarify more on this....
These 10 modes are probably 3 DSD filters and 7 PCM filters, as found in all new devices using ES9038. I guess they are the same one as in the Topping D50.

Jul 10, 2018 at 10:30 PM Post #281 of 298
thanks guys, fortunately, i did not buy the newer ver. of the SMSL M8A instead i have oredy bought the Topping D50 at a cheaper price @ S$250 which is a good deal. My opinion, the SMSL SU-8 the deal breaker is that it doesnt have volume knob instead uses the remote control and some of ppl review it; saying he has issue with volume adjustment in windows. I still prefer the voulume knob :)

i got a question dou, does the topping d50 good to stack with the topping a30 headphone amp?
prolly posted this in the wrong thread but what da hey~

Last edited:
Oct 19, 2018 at 9:26 AM Post #282 of 298
I have a SMSL M8a (ES9028Q2M version) and tried to power it from my Schiit Wyrd which provides linear power supply. Specifically, I used the supplied "USB to DC in" cable and connected the USB output of my Schiit Wyrd to the DC-in port of M8a. There was no USB connection from my computer to Schiit Wyrd as I wanted to use it only for power.
There was a significant change in sound compared to the original wall-wart power supply: With the Wyrd, it sounded warmer with less treble energy, extension and air. For most of the tracks and especially for classical music this was a degrade in sound quality. So after listening a couple of days, I finally decided that I prefer the original PSU and went back to it.
I am curious of what is wrong because a linear power supply which is provided by the Wyrd according to its specs, is supposed to upgrade sound quality.

What kind of experience do you have from using a linear power supply with the SMSL M8a?

Oct 21, 2018 at 5:10 PM Post #284 of 298
I have a SMSL M8a (ES9028Q2M version) and tried to power it from my Schiit Wyrd which provides linear power supply. Specifically, I used the supplied "USB to DC in" cable and connected the USB output of my Schiit Wyrd to the DC-in port of M8a. There was no USB connection from my computer to Schiit Wyrd as I wanted to use it only for power.
There was a significant change in sound compared to the original wall-wart power supply: With the Wyrd, it sounded warmer with less treble energy, extension and air. For most of the tracks and especially for classical music this was a degrade in sound quality. So after listening a couple of days, I finally decided that I prefer the original PSU and went back to it.
I am curious of what is wrong because a linear power supply which is provided by the Wyrd according to its specs, is supposed to upgrade sound quality.

What kind of experience do you have from using a linear power supply with the SMSL M8a?
Have you tried powering your M8a from a battery power bank, the type use to recharge mobile phones and tablets? They have no reactive components and therefore provide a perfectly smooth 5v DC supply. The sound quality will then be a good as you will ever get with any type of mains power supply regardless of cost.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back