SMSL M8A (ES9028Q2M)
Dec 24, 2017 at 10:10 AM Post #227 of 298
Dude.....This is why email notifications are sometimes... :-s (Sorry for doing it myself too. but...:-s)...just think of it before you LOL to the whole world. :beyersmile:

Jan 5, 2018 at 4:37 PM Post #228 of 298
Anyone looking for a linear power supply for their M8 (or Sanskrit) might want to check this out: http://ebay.to/2m4KhS0

Jan 8, 2018 at 9:54 AM Post #229 of 298
I recently got the M8A through massdrop and I noticed that 705.6khz is not working on my unit. I only get crackles. Every other sample rate works including DSD. Does anyone also have this problem? Is my unit maybe faulty?

I also get static from my computer over the USB cable. If I move my mouse I can hear a high pitched sound and if the GPU is being used there is even more static. Any idea what I can do so I can use the DAC with USB? For now I use the optical input.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:13 AM Post #231 of 298
Yes of course I installed the drivers. Like I said every other sampling rate works just fine and the DSD too it is just the 705.6khz that produces only crackles when it is being used. The small display on the M8A also tells that 705.6khz is being used.

Jan 8, 2018 at 10:28 AM Post #233 of 298
USB IS working. Can you even read? I told that EVERY other sampling rate IS working BUT 705.6khz is not working. Every sampling rate over 192khz does need the driver to be used. I used wasapi/asio in foobar and everything works fine except 705.6khz.. If I use USB I will also get static from the computer but that's another issue... I want to fix that I can't use the 705.6khz feature.

Jan 17, 2018 at 7:15 AM Post #237 of 298
i've recently got into the audiophile world, and i've purchased the m8a dac, and one issue popped up immediately with the compatibility of my pc with this dac. the sample rate on my pc is limited to 192khz, where as on another pc that i checked it reached 384khz with the same connections on both sides and smsl m8a's own drivers that i downloaded from their website. so i've started my own process of elimination to find the issue, and soon will be deleting the audio driver of my graphics card, which has the possibility to interfere with the smsl's driver. i would be glad to hear more suggestions to try out to fix this issue.

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 7:33 AM Post #238 of 298
I think you may have misunderstood something. Your PC doesn't have or support a sampling rate, its connected devices/peripherals do.
Hence:
- Right click on the speaker-like icon on the lower left part of the screen and select playback devices
- Select the SMSL DAC and right-click selecting properties
- Go to the Advanced tab and select whatever sampling rate you wish to use
Refer to the attached screenshot.

Also note that this would apply to PC sound such as watch YouTube or other online content with sound etc.
You music should be fed to the DAC using the USB port and then it all comes down to the player you use and its configuration. If you use Foobar (which I recommend) there are a lot of online guides on how to configure it to match the capabilities of your DAC.

Hope this helps.

Attachments

• 2018-01-17.png
    2018-01-17.png
    11.5 KB · Views: 0
Jan 17, 2018 at 10:31 AM Post #239 of 298
I think you may have misunderstood something. Your PC doesn't have or support a sampling rate, its connected devices/peripherals do.
Hence:
- Right click on the speaker-like icon on the lower left part of the screen and select playback devices
- Select the SMSL DAC and right-click selecting properties
- Go to the Advanced tab and select whatever sampling rate you wish to use
Refer to the attached screenshot.

Also note that this would apply to PC sound such as watch YouTube or other online content with sound etc.
You music should be fed to the DAC using the USB port and then it all comes down to the player you use and its configuration. If you use Foobar (which I recommend) there are a lot of online guides on how to configure it to match the capabilities of your DAC.

Hope this helps.
i mentioned the sample rate in relation to the issue, and tried to imply that it might stem from a software related problem, in contrast to hardware. pc is too generalized term to apply, though. i agree, i could have been more specific... i might start to use foobar, though, with all the praise i've started to hear about it from audiophiles, and plus the possibility it might iron out partly my issue (because ill use it only when listening to music), makes it more attractive. ty for the suggestion.

anyway, i uninstalled the graphics's audio drivers to see if it was the culprit, but it didn't fixed it. the only thing left i can think of is to try a different cable connection other then the usb, the windows 10 might be more tolarant to coax cable instead. what do you guys think???

Last edited:
Jan 17, 2018 at 5:45 PM Post #240 of 298
USB cable. Is it working right, is it proper - as in, is it according to USB spec. Many are not. Just try a different USB cable.

Then, after that, the problem might be with the USB hardware of the computer. They do vary - some are noisier, some are more prone to intermittently dropping connection. Or Windows not recognising a USB device on startup. (My portable HD is like that - or rather, Windows is like that with the USB HD. Like once in a year, plug it in, and Windows doesn't notice it. Unplug, plug in, no ping-ding. Switch off computer, switch on, wait until all startup stuff finished, then plug in the HD USB cable and ping-ding, back to normal. Problem is with Windows USB stuff.
First make sure the cable is good. *Sure.*

If you then try an alternative to USB, and it works out, it means the problem is that computer USB hardware.

When you tried it with another computer, did you use the same USB cable?

Windows Media Player, foobar, no matter, no dependency. That driver is a Windows driver.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back