SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Oct 20, 2017 at 12:37 PM Post #196 of 544
Bump: anyone know of an mfi certified lightning to micro usb cable that is available now?

Oct 23, 2017 at 12:33 AM Post #199 of 544
I purchased the Sabaj DA-1, which I assume is equivalent to the SMSL X4, being so similar looking.

I can't quite get it to work with my Android phone (Nexus 5X on Android 8.0). The strange thing is, it works for a few seconds when I plug it in, but after that the audio cuts out.

I tried using it on another device (Nvidia Shield on Android 7.0) and it actually works perfectly fine. And my older Fiio E07K has no problem with the Nexus 5X. What do you think the issue could be? I've tried changing USB mode to MIDI on the phone, plugging it in while music is playing, etc. and it doesn't seem to work.

I suspect some kind of bug is going on in the software, as it does get recognized for a few fleeting moments.

Oct 23, 2017 at 6:11 AM Post #200 of 544
I purchased the Sabaj DA-1, which I assume is equivalent to the SMSL X4, being so similar looking.

I can't quite get it to work with my Android phone (Nexus 5X on Android 8.0). The strange thing is, it works for a few seconds when I plug it in, but after that the audio cuts out.

I tried using it on another device (Nvidia Shield on Android 7.0) and it actually works perfectly fine. And my older Fiio E07K has no problem with the Nexus 5X. What do you think the issue could be? I've tried changing USB mode to MIDI on the phone, plugging it in while music is playing, etc. and it doesn't seem to work.

I suspect some kind of bug is going on in the software, as it does get recognized for a few fleeting moments.

Try plugging in the usb cable without the dac. Then start the music and when the music is playing plug in the dac to the usb cable. Thats how i got my Da2 to work. Or you can try UAPP

Oct 23, 2017 at 7:20 PM Post #201 of 544
Try plugging in the usb cable without the dac. Then start the music and when the music is playing plug in the dac to the usb cable. Thats how i got my Da2 to work. Or you can try UAPP

Hmm, it seems that I resolved the issue. It was a cable problem, though I don't know much more than that.

For record, this is the cable that didn't work: https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B071SJ8S75/ref=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

After finding another combination of cables the DA-1 works fine.

Oct 24, 2017 at 11:27 PM Post #202 of 544
Unfortunately a must. I am left with a bunch of good looking non-mfi cables, which turned unusable after the latest iOS updates.

Bought the official Apple Micro USB to Lightning adapter to use with the included micro usb male to male cable, and it STILL didn't work. All the goddamn cables in the world and not a single official lightning to micro usb cable?
Blows my mind

Oct 25, 2017 at 2:08 AM Post #203 of 544
Bought the official Apple Micro USB to Lightning adapter to use with the included micro usb male to male cable, and it STILL didn't work. All the goddamn cables in the world and not a single official lightning to micro usb cable?
Blows my mind
Strange...just checked mine, works fine with iPhone 7, iPad Air2 and iPad Pro. If you are sure you got the original Apple cable, must be a problem with your iDea. Maybe you got a lemon.

Oct 25, 2017 at 3:24 PM Post #207 of 544
Hello. Does the buzz noise still happen when connect to usb type-c ? I'm looking for budget dac for using with Xiaomi Mi6 and laptop. Should I take Sabaj D2 ? Thank you.

The buzzing is only a problem with Android and Linux. You shouldn't have a problem with the laptop, assuming you're running Windows on it.

Last edited:
Oct 25, 2017 at 3:34 PM Post #208 of 544
Oct 25, 2017 at 6:47 PM Post #209 of 544
So, not too long ago I picked up the smsl idea to drive my HD598s when connected to my phone. It does a great job of doing just that. Significant increase in clarity with an expanded sound stage. So exactly what I expected.

Then last night I popped over to Massdrop, saw the idea for sale, and clicked on it. Taking a look through the specs I was reminded that it boasts being able to push 300ohm headphones. Turns out I have a pair of those in the form of the HD800s. So I plugged em up, turned on some music and began bringing up the volume. Ofcourse it sounded better than my 598s. This was never a comparison test for that. Where I did compare was on volume. Turns out that while the smsl idea drives the 598 down a back stretch at 150mph, it drives the 800 like a leisurely commute at best. So if you plan to plug anything in with these sort of needs, don't.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back