SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Oct 26, 2017 at 11:37 AM Post #211 of 544
Thanks bro. Any suggestion for budget DAC/AMP for Android/PC?

I can't remember whether or not anyone on this thread stated that the Sabaj version had the same buzzing problem, but a commenter on the Archimago blogpost did- "I have the same problems with the buzzing sound with the Sabaj Da2 on my android LG G5...".
I've seen some other DAC/amps with the same form factor selling for around $100, like the Centrance DACport Slim and the Dragonfly Black 1.5. If you don't mind something that is bigger than a USB dongle but still portable, you might look into the Fiio Q1 Mk II.

Oct 27, 2017 at 9:24 PM Post #213 of 544
So, not too long ago I picked up the smsl idea to drive my HD598s when connected to my phone. It does a great job of doing just that. Significant increase in clarity with an expanded sound stage. So exactly what I expected.

Then last night I popped over to Massdrop, saw the idea for sale, and clicked on it. Taking a look through the specs I was reminded that it boasts being able to push 300ohm headphones. Turns out I have a pair of those in the form of the HD800s. So I plugged em up, turned on some music and began bringing up the volume. Ofcourse it sounded better than my 598s. This was never a comparison test for that. Where I did compare was on volume. Turns out that while the smsl idea drives the 598 down a back stretch at 150mph, it drives the 800 like a leisurely commute at best. So if you plan to plug anything in with these sort of needs, don't.

I just got the lightning to USB Camera kit. I have the same issue driving my 558s or even some 16 ohm earbuds.
Have the volume of the SMSL Idea turned all the way up.
However, it takes me getting up to 50% of my iPhone volume to hear literally anything.
Than from 50% to 100% the volume jumps exponentially.

This only happens with my iPhone not on a computer.
Is this normal?

Is the iDEA just not meant to be paired with phones? Getting this thing to work (As good as it does sound) has been a pain in the ass

Oct 27, 2017 at 10:44 PM Post #214 of 544
I just got the lightning to USB Camera kit. I have the same issue driving my 558s or even some 16 ohm earbuds.
However, it takes me getting up to 50% of my iPhone volume to hear literally anything.

Is this normal?

Is the iDEA just not meant to be paired with phones? Getting this thing to work (As good as it does sound) has been a pain in the ass

You need the usb downgrade to 1.2 to fix the phone issue.

Oct 28, 2017 at 1:35 AM Post #215 of 544
You need the usb downgrade to 1.2 to fix the phone issue.
Well crap. It says we have to request it from them for a downgrade?
I am searching this thread but can't seem to find anyone posting the file, would you happen to have the firmware downgrade handy by any chance and willing to share?
Much appreciated

Oct 28, 2017 at 9:36 AM Post #216 of 544
I am searching this thread but can't seem to find anyone posting the file, would you happen to have the firmware downgrade handy by any chance and willing to share?
Much appreciated

Don't downgrade it. Someone have done it and it turned to crap. It's also not reversible.

Also you are suppose to put your phone/computer volume to 100% and control volume from the dac/amp itself.

Oct 28, 2017 at 10:02 AM Post #217 of 544
So reading through the forums for an inexpensive DAC/AMP units I've landed here and were really close to ordering the SMSL Idea and then found out that it costs £73.99 compared to Sabaj DA2 for £49.99 which appears to be the same thing in a different shell. So I ordered that on Amazon and should be with me on Tuesday :D I thought about the Sabaj DA3 but I don't really need the extras that come with it over the DA2 and it costs £74.99. I'm planning to use it with my Fidelio X2s. Long overdue upgrade over my average on-board which I'm sure got worse with time. I will probably use it exclusively with my PC but might try it with my HTC One M8 to see if I have issues with it at all there. I'll drop a post with some photos of the packaging and the unit here since I can't seem to find many of them around the web; might be handy for someone looking into it. If I get a hand on the right screwdriver I'll open it up and take photos to confirm the board being same as SMSL Idea.

Update: Turns out Amazon upgraded my delivery and it's coming tomorrow :) Got to love Prime!

Last edited:
Oct 28, 2017 at 10:52 AM Post #218 of 544
Much appreciated

Yes, it was posted on this thread:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81LDYcWypQNOTI5djlkZzNoa2M

But if I'm not mistaken, it only takes care of the Android/Linux buzzing issue.

Oct 28, 2017 at 4:57 PM Post #219 of 544
Don't downgrade it. Someone have done it and it turned to crap. It's also not reversible.

Also you are suppose to put your phone/computer volume to 100% and control volume from the dac/amp itself.

I have never heard of keeping a device volume at a 100% and uising the tactile buttons on the amp as a must.
And it seem

Yes, it was posted on this thread:

https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B81LDYcWypQNOTI5djlkZzNoa2M

But if I'm not mistaken, it only takes care of the Android/Linux buzzing issue.

So the downgrade doesn't solve the volume exponentially rising past 50% issue?
getting confused here, are these opinions or facts?

Also there is a new driver update on the SMSL website. Does anyone have feedback on that update and if it solves the mentioned issues.

http://www.smsl-audio.com/productshow.asp?id=133

Thanks

Oct 29, 2017 at 6:52 AM Post #221 of 544

Is this normal?

Don't downgrade, it's only for Android users that are having issues. SMSL Idea with Apple cck2 works fine with my iPhone 6s. Did you put the volume of your phone 100%?

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:04 AM Post #223 of 544
atRAIaS.jpg

Got my Sabaj Da2 yesterday and got it all set up. First of all, WOW this thing is tiny I didn't quite notice it from the pictures but that's not a bad thing at all. It is plug and play; Windows 10 got USB Audio 2.0 drivers for it straight away. These are the options I have with those drivers:
ioXfnk4.png

Not going to comment too much on audio since I'll need more time with it but it definitely is a huge improvement over my on-board; drives my Fidelio X2s to insane volume with no distortion and just sounds better overall.

If you look at the packaging in the photo link below and compare it to the ones in Archimago's review of the SMSL Idea, it's literally all the same but with the branding changed. This unit comes with 3 short cables: full size USB to USB Micro, USB Micro to USB Micro and USB C to USB Micro. So again the same as Idea and they are the same cables. The unit also has the buttons, LED, and ports in the same spot. I would take it apart but I don't have a screwdriver that tiny. Also when I looked at the drivers both SMSL and Sabaj offer for these units they are exactly the same as well. I tried installing the XMOS driver and that would give me access to the usual frequencies up to 192000Hz in all the bit up to 32 but no frequencies above. I couldn't be bothered to mess around so I just uninstalled the XMOS driver since I didn't really hear any difference and the Microsoft one is just fine.

Also tried using the Sabaj with my HTC One M8 and it works fine. No random hissing or anything. Seems to deliver the same amount of power as my PC. Tried my X2s and KZ ZS5s with it. Not sure about the battery drain but I this unit for my PC so I probably won't test that.

Here's the rest of the photos including the two above: https://imgur.com/a/0dIfP

I got this unit directly from Sabaj on Amazon UK for £49.99: https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B0719FMRKH/ compared to the SMSL Idea which is £72.99 on Amazon UK: https://www.amazon.co.uk/dp/B073W4DSVH/

So you might as well grab the Sabaj or whatever happens to be cheaper for you:)

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:09 AM Post #224 of 544
Nice little review there. I've been using mine out of my Mac for a good few weeks now. Only thing I can criticise is mine feels flimsy and not sure how long it will last but otherwise no complaints at all with the sound and power output, although I wouldn't rely on it for power hungry headphones is all.

Oct 30, 2017 at 9:14 AM Post #225 of 544
Nice little review there. I've been using mine out of my Mac for a good few weeks now. Only thing I can criticise is mine feels flimsy and not sure how long it will last but otherwise no complaints at all with the sound and power output, although I wouldn't rely on it for power hungry headphones is all.
So far the build for me seems fine. The unit is solid, all ports hold nice and tight. I guess the buttons could be a little more tactile but nothing too bad. As for power hungry headphones you are likely right. X2s are 32 Ohm so I'm not surprised it can power them no problem

Users who are viewing this thread

Back