SMSL iDEA portable dac+amp
Sep 23, 2017 at 9:56 PM Post #181 of 544
Why bother when the Sabaj DA2 is the same bu cheaper?

Yes the DA3 sounds better to me in SE. Not a million times better, but $30 better? I think so. I use mine with desktop PC, IFI silencer/Defender + external power supply though.

Since the DA3 has two DAC chips, how does the unbalanced output compare to the DA2? Do you think any future firmware updates by SMSL such as to remove the buzzing issue will also work on the DA2?

Sep 28, 2017 at 6:10 AM Post #185 of 544
Have you used it with any android phone? How is the SQ?

Yes, I do :D It sounds really good, definetely better than any portable devices I have at home and my macbook pro 13 too.
No problems with Android (UAPP, Poweramp). Not really good for high impedance headphones but perfect for in-ear.
I use it also with MacOS, Ubuntu and Windows w/o any issues.

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:07 AM Post #186 of 544
Hi! Im about to buy a portable dac and im leaning torwards the Sabaj DA2. Tho im debating if the DA3 is woth the extra 30 bucks. I wanna be able to use the dac with my android phone. Is that possible with the DA3?

Oct 3, 2017 at 2:11 PM Post #187 of 544
Hi! Im about to buy a portable dac and im leaning torwards the Sabaj DA2. Tho im debating if the DA3 is woth the extra 30 bucks. I wanna be able to use the dac with my android phone. Is that possible with the DA3?

It should be possible but because there are two DACs and amps in the da3, power consumption is likely considerably higher and your phone might not support that or battery life will be shorter

Oct 8, 2017 at 2:10 PM Post #188 of 544
I just got the da2. It is overall a very good device but I have few issues with it. I mainly use it for my Samsung note 8. Every time I plug it in, it has this annoying buzzing noise. It goes away when I try to change the charging USB to Midi. Although this seems to work fine, few seconds after it goes back to charging and this eats up my battery really quickly. If you have earphones with in-line mic, you have to know that you won't be able to you use those functions. It only works for the music player.

Oct 16, 2017 at 9:30 AM Post #190 of 544
I’ve now been using the Sabaj DA2 (same as iDEA) for several weeks now.

I have to say it does a good job for the £50 or so it cost. It does seem to noticeably lift the sound to a level above what the headphone jacks on typical mobile devices, and removes a good bit of the veil and provides better dynamics and a little more detail. It’s good enough in conjunction with my MT220s to use instead of my main desktop rig which is that better again, but it’s quite close really in terms of enjoyment.

A few things I’ve noticed which has probably been brought up already. It works fine on the iPad but it has a weird habit of pausing the music randomly, which unfortunately I have been unable to resolve and makes the iPad for me unusable as a primary listening device. This is particularly annoying after paying £30 for an adapter to make it fit.

On my s7 edge it again works fine, but you do have to play the music first before plugging the DA2 or you simply get buzzing. Sometimes it takes more than one attempt. However, once it locks on, it’s perfect.

It works flawlessly on my MacBook Air, so far as I can tell (I say that because I’ve only had the Mac a few days and it’s already faulty so I’m having to send it back). Just select the sound device from the volume menu and off you go.

Oct 16, 2017 at 12:14 PM Post #191 of 544
Oct 16, 2017 at 3:11 PM Post #192 of 544
I'm looking for a super portable DAC for my pinnacle P1's through my S7. It's too soon to replace it with a V30 and the internal amp isn't even close to enough juice for me.

Is this my best option? How much improvement will I see over the X4? Is it worth the small price bump of the da2 to put up with the annoying buzz and workaround every time you want to listen to music?

With the S7 if you plug in and change the USB option to midi thru developer settings, does it remember that option? Or does it continue to have the buzzing issue?

Last edited:
Oct 18, 2017 at 12:20 PM Post #195 of 544
Unfortunately a must. I am left with a bunch of good looking non-mfi cables, which turned unusable after the latest iOS updates.

that is terrible.
I don't know what the solution is if there aren't any cables available that provide mfi certification.
I saw a cable made by cozoy which is much too short.
I liked the cable I found on amazon because the housing around the connector wasn't big so it could fit into an iphone with a case

Anyone know of a solution which has the mfi certification?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back