SM64 To Replace SM3
Feb 16, 2013 at 10:13 PM Post #241 of 261
Quote:

You must be talking about the lineout the audio straight from the dock. Sure it gives a much better sound as the signal is fed straight from the iPod to the amp and to the earphone with being amped by ipod's internal amp (lousy sound quality in comparison). which means noise signal are kept to minimum for the set up. If you are feeding the dock to an usb outlet (Amp with DAC, e.g. sony-PHA-1) the signal will be processed by the Amp (better DAC), meaning an even better sound. 
biggrin.gif

Thanks for the explanation ^^.

Feb 17, 2013 at 1:12 AM Post #242 of 261
Is someone going to do a review?
I would love to hear how it compares to the sm3.
Did they fix the veil in the midrange. Is it clearer?
That was the only problem I had with the sm3. Everything else was perfect.

Feb 17, 2013 at 12:03 PM Post #244 of 261
The SM64 look sweet, but I don't know if the price difference will be justified.. I guess we will have to wait for some reviews. And at 98 ohms it seems like you pretty much need an amp, which isn't the case with the v2.

Feb 17, 2013 at 10:27 PM Post #245 of 261
Quote:
I thought the sound was pretty stunning direct from the iphone4.

No doubt, the SM64's are great headphones with superb sound. My impressions on them not being so great un-amped were probably affected by the fact that I was comparing them side by side with the SM3's at the time, which are also amazing and, imo, better than the 64's when both are unamped. I stand by what I said that the GoVibe Martini+ brings out the 64's capability and that, un-amped, the 64's seem muted to me in comparison. Although perhaps muted is a strong word for it. 

I was using the iPod Classic 6 though, so maybe that's a factor?

Feb 18, 2013 at 2:20 AM Post #246 of 261
I have been playing my sm64 for about a month. During the use once in a time i switched one to another with my sm3v2. For those who still wanna know the difference between the two...here is my impression from both iems:

(sorry my english is not that good, but i will try to describe as good as i can )

The source i am using:
Iipod classic wav+alac files, Alo National amp, Alo RxMK3+clas db, Fostex HPP1, Govibe Vestamp and Govibe Vulcan+

1st thing to notice, the gain of sm64 is higher than sm3v2. Short way to say, with sm64 you will need to use an amp to make it really sing. Otherwise you will not get the most out of it during listening. If you drive sm64 without amp (or direct from ipod), the mids and the bass will not come alive, the treble will be dominant and that will leads you to a brighter sound and loosing its body from the sound.

The highs:
The highs on sm64 is more sparkling (but still smooth) compared to sm3v2. But it does not mean of being too harsh during my listening. For those who really like the highs on sm3v2..the highs on sm64 could be the hate. But to me...i find the highs on sm64 makes the sound is more lively. Is more musical and fun. For some jazz songs..yes i find sm3v2 could be the winner here, but not always. But still, sm64 is more fun sounding IMO. What i mean by "fun"..is an audiophile kind of fun..not a Beats's fun. For those who feels sm3v2 recessed in highs..so this is surely for you.

The Mids:
The mids on sm3v2 is more creamy. Is thicker. and more forward (just a tad) compared to sm64. I know..for sm3v2 lovers (including my self) will miss its creamy character when upgraded to sm64. What i love most about the song...is vocal. Every time i listen to the song...i always concentrate to how the vocal is presented and then i will give my judgement on whether or not i should keep it. Well...this sm64 is surely worth a keeper. The mids on sm64 is different from sm3v2 but not totally. It is a bit more sharp while sm3v2 is a bit more rounded. Don't get me wrong...what i mean by sharp is like the vocal is somehow more refined..is more well pronounced added with crisp and more transparent as well. I really don't know the right words to describe it..but i hope you guys get what i mean.

The Bass:
The quantity of the bass i think is about the same. But this time...sm64 is able to deliver a more tight bass and it can go deeper than my sm3v2. The bass is more cleaner and a bit more punch (not bloated) compared to sm3v2. I think the bass of my sm64 is better than my sm3v2.

Sound-stage + Instrument positioning:
Soundstage is the same and i think they both are good. But for Instrument positioning i will give the score to my sm64 due to its clarity and detailing is better than sm3v2. I find the sm64 has better resolution and layering on the music compared to my sm3v2. But not by much.

So if you guys asking me which one better for direct use to ipod (or any other players)..my would say SM3V2 will surely better for direct use. The sm3v2 is easier to drive than sm64. My self..i often use my sm3v2 direct to my ipod. And the gain from my ipod classic is enough to give a juicy sound to sm3v2 (usually i play them with 75-80% of ipod volume). But if amped..i mean a proper amp..that sm64 is realy, really pleasant to hear.

So is it worth to trade your sm3v2 to sm64? I would not say sm64 is a good replacement for sm3v2. But rather it is a compliment product to sm3v2 I suggest for those who want to replace their sm3v2 should have audition first before you decide to let go your sm3v2. To me the sm3v2 still a good iems. It is easier to drive...and it sound good on whatever amps u use or even no amp. not to mention that creamy lush mids that i miss most of the time during my listening with my sm64.

regards,
Yono

Feb 18, 2013 at 9:18 AM Post #247 of 261
I receive this morning the answer from Earsonics about the warranty:

Hi 

It's one year .

[size=medium]Cordialement / Sincerely [/size]  
[size=medium]EarSonics SAS [/size]
[size=medium]Cap Alpha - 9 avenue de l'europe [/size]
[size=medium]34830 Clapiers - France[/size]
[size=medium]04 67 59 36 20 [/size]

I prefer to get the um3x for 369 euros from thomann with 3 years of warranty than the sm 64 for 400 

Feb 18, 2013 at 11:27 AM Post #248 of 261
I have been playing my sm64 for about a month. During the use once in a time i switched one to another with my sm3v2. For those who still wanna know the difference between the two...here is my impression from both iems:

(sorry my english is not that good, but i will try to describe as good as i can )

The source i am using:
Iipod classic wav+alac files, Alo National amp, Alo RxMK3+clas db, Fostex HPP1, Govibe Vestamp and Govibe Vulcan+

1st thing to notice, the gain of sm64 is higher than sm3v2. Short way to say, with sm64 you will need to use an amp to make it really sing. Otherwise you will not get the most out of it during listening. If you drive sm64 without amp (or direct from ipod), the mids and the bass will not come alive, the treble will be dominant and that will leads you to a brighter sound and loosing its body from the sound.

The highs:
The highs on sm64 is more sparkling (but still smooth) compared to sm3v2. But it does not mean of being too harsh during my listening. For those who really like the highs on sm3v2..the highs on sm64 could be the hate. But to me...i find the highs on sm64 makes the sound is more lively. Is more musical and fun. For some jazz songs..yes i find sm3v2 could be the winner here, but not always. But still, sm64 is more fun sounding IMO. What i mean by "fun"..is an audiophile kind of fun..not a Beats's fun. For those who feels sm3v2 recessed in highs..so this is surely for you.

The Mids:
The mids on sm3v2 is more creamy. Is thicker. and more forward (just a tad) compared to sm64. I know..for sm3v2 lovers (including my self) will miss its creamy character when upgraded to sm64. What i love most about the song...is vocal. Every time i listen to the song...i always concentrate to how the vocal is presented and then i will give my judgement on whether or not i should keep it. Well...this sm64 is surely worth a keeper. The mids on sm64 is different from sm3v2 but not totally. It is a bit more sharp while sm3v2 is a bit more rounded. Don't get me wrong...what i mean by sharp is like the vocal is somehow more refined..is more well pronounced added with crisp and more transparent as well. I really don't know the right words to describe it..but i hope you guys get what i mean.

The Bass:
The quantity of the bass i think is about the same. But this time...sm64 is able to deliver a more tight bass and it can go deeper than my sm3v2. The bass is more cleaner and a bit more punch (not bloated) compared to sm3v2. I think the bass of my sm64 is better than my sm3v2.

Sound-stage + Instrument positioning:
Soundstage is the same and i think they both are good. But for Instrument positioning i will give the score to my sm64 due to its clarity and detailing is better than sm3v2. I find the sm64 has better resolution and layering on the music compared to my sm3v2. But not by much.

So if you guys asking me which one better for direct use to ipod (or any other players)..my would say SM3V2 will surely better for direct use. The sm3v2 is easier to drive than sm64. My self..i often use my sm3v2 direct to my ipod. And the gain from my ipod classic is enough to give a juicy sound to sm3v2 (usually i play them with 75-80% of ipod volume). But if amped..i mean a proper amp..that sm64 is realy, really pleasant to hear.

So is it worth to trade your sm3v2 to sm64? I would not say sm64 is a good replacement for sm3v2. But rather it is a compliment product to sm3v2 I suggest for those who want to replace their sm3v2 should have audition first before you decide to let go your sm3v2. To me the sm3v2 still a good iems. It is easier to drive...and it sound good on whatever amps u use or even no amp. not to mention that creamy lush mids that i miss most of the time during my listening with my sm64.

regards,
Yono

May i know if you are using the v1 or v2 of SM64?

Feb 18, 2013 at 8:44 PM Post #249 of 261
@delancyst
According to Jaben..mine should be the 1st batch. And that would be 112ohm unit. I read somewhere in this thread..Gasdoc has mentioned from 29 jan 2013 shipment the unit should be with 95ohm revision. And i bought mine in early January 2013. I tried to find the production date either from the box or in the manual bit i could not find it. So i guess mine should be 112ohm.

Feb 19, 2013 at 1:32 AM Post #250 of 261
@delancyst
According to Jaben..mine should be the 1st batch. And that would be 112ohm unit. I read somewhere in this thread..Gasdoc has mentioned from 29 jan 2013 shipment the unit should be with 95ohm revision. And i bought mine in early January 2013. I tried to find the production date either from the box or in the manual bit i could not find it. So i guess mine should be 112ohm.

I bought mine from jabn also but it was in early February 2013.
Have asked them to rma my v1 back to ES.

yup, the box/manual doesnt state the specs on mine either.

Feb 20, 2013 at 1:55 AM Post #254 of 261
I think so far we have 3 or 4 impression threads here on Head-Fi....why don't we all post new reviews and such in this ( http://www.head-fi.org/forum/newestpost/651654 ) thread. Starting to get a bit confusing with all the new threads :/

Users who are viewing this thread

Back