SM64 To Replace SM3
Jan 30, 2013 at 5:23 PM Post #153 of 261
Quote:
I don't know if I have the new version or not, but I really love the sound.  Very refined and certainly one of my new favorite phones.

Assuming you have the first model, would you be hesitant to send them back in for the updated version because you like yours the way it is?

I don't know if I'm reading the revision notes correctly, but it seems like they made them easier to drive ("Lowering of general impedance"/"better support on low frequencies using with lower power devices"), tamed sibilance, and brought the mids more forward ("increase 'medium EarSonics sound signature'").

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:57 PM Post #154 of 261
Quote:

Assuming you have the first model, would you be hesitant to send them back in for the updated version because you like yours the way it is?

I don't know if I'm reading the revision notes correctly, but it seems like they made them easier to drive ("Lowering of general impedance"/"better support on low frequencies using with lower power devices"), tamed sibilance, and brought the mids more forward ("increase 'medium EarSonics sound signature'").

That is exactly the stuff I wanted to be improved, so I send mine to Earsonics yesterday :wink:

Jan 30, 2013 at 5:59 PM Post #155 of 261
Quote:

Good point.  I'm gonna spend the week debating that, cause they are pretty special as is.  That being said, I use them direct from an iPhone...

Jan 31, 2013 at 4:17 AM Post #158 of 261
Are these really considered a replacement of the SM3, or do they simply replace the "flagship" spot on their line-up? On their site they have products listed as Audiophile or Musician and while the SM3 appears under both categories, the SM64 is only listed under the audiophile category.

Is this possibly because the SM3 has more of a stage monitor tuning with somewhat recessed treble and the SM64 might have more clarity in the treble, but could be considered a little fatiguing for stage use?

Kind of like how Westone has the UM models for professional use and then the usual numbered series for more consumer-oriented sound preferences?

Jan 31, 2013 at 11:16 AM Post #161 of 261
Quote:
I think it's been clarified that it sounds quite different and isn't meant to be an actual successor to the SM3. The OP probably just assumed that since Sound Earphones wasn't going to stock the SM3 anymore that the SM64 would be its replacement, but I believe they are meant to be separate models.

Ah, okay. That's good to know - I read the first part of this thread aaaages ago and obviously didn't pick up on it then. Strange that they wouldn't still stock them, but I suppose they have a better idea of their market. Thanks for the clarification.

Jan 31, 2013 at 12:07 PM Post #162 of 261
Could be possible that the improved SM64 version sounds more like a "better" SM3 because they also want to bring the mids more forward to archive the old signature Earsonics sound.

I can't wait to get my SM64 back :'(
Currently I have to use the super crappy in-ears that came with one of my old Sony PMPs....oh the agony!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back