Sloppy Grado, Or Nitpicking?
Mar 30, 2007 at 1:23 AM Post #62 of 76
Email sent to Grado Labs, hopefully they will respond to this link to restore confidence. I am comtemplating if I should look into the RS1s, I know the RS2s use the same plastic components as the other Grados.

Mar 30, 2007 at 3:39 AM Post #63 of 76
My sr60's i just received 2 weeks ago have this same defect, both on the left sides. I hope this issue will be resolved. I am not too worried about it since the sr60's were relatively inexpensive, however I am looking into upgrading to the sr225 in 6-8 months and I really hope they fix the molds by then. For the price I have to pay in Canada (about 260 US) for sr225's there is no reason for a defect such as this.

Mar 30, 2007 at 4:07 AM Post #64 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Mark_420 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
My sr60's i just received 2 weeks ago have this same defect, both on the left sides. I hope this issue will be resolved. I am not too worried about it since the sr60's were relatively inexpensive, however I am looking into upgrading to the sr225 in 6-8 months and I really hope they fix the molds my then. For the price I have to pay in Canada (about 260 US) for sr225's there is no reason for a defect such as this.

Prices in Canada and elsewhere other than the USA is highway robbery. The AUdio Group is the Canadian distributor and they are evil in getting a cut in that deal !
very_evil_smiley.gif

Does anyone know if Grado sells direct to retailers in the US or they also have a distributor ?

Mar 30, 2007 at 8:45 AM Post #65 of 76
Just send it back they should be very understanding. Even if it doesn't affect the sound quality you payed for the complete package. Then again, it seems like each grado headphone is one off, and it should have some "small" defects, But in your case it seems like you are not nitpicking and indeed the fault in the construction is enough to gain attention from the folks at grado. Best of luck.

Apr 1, 2007 at 5:36 AM Post #66 of 76
No answer from Grado, I know they read our little rant here because I posted the link, they usually read emails within the hour.

C'mon Grado, you can do it, post your corrective actions here !
wink.gif

Apr 1, 2007 at 2:33 PM Post #69 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by jinp6301 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
nope I have them on my 225s as well. Its a problem. I think I'm gonna wait until they get a real problem before I send them in.

My 80's bought from Headroom about a month ago have the same thing. One on each side. I had a look at it and it doesn't look like a real problem. It doesn't look like it makes it weaker or anything. I'm not sending mine back unless they have a REAL problem.

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:03 PM Post #70 of 76
It is a bit annoying isn't it. Almost seems as though it's either a tooling problem or the way a good tool is used/indexed since the plastic "rivet" is also deformed. My first guess is that perhaps the operation may be rushed since it's not consistent from within each model run or even between models. My MS-1s for example have the indications on the "left" side of both housings; but not on the right. And my MS2i are absolutely flawless.

In the case of my MS-1s the indications are simply "there" and are in no way a concern from an operational standpoint. Matter of fact; they add a little character!

Apr 1, 2007 at 3:25 PM Post #71 of 76
I don't find it annoying. The only things I find annoying about my 80's are:
1) rediculously cheap headband material (Grado won't sell me the leather part)
2) crimps in the cable by the Y split. I could do without that.
3) I wish the individual sides couldn't rotate all the way around to twist up the cable.

That's it, though. Those are about as trifling as the molding issue is. Sure, I'd rather they have better build, but I know that'll cost me and I'd rather they give me the function I paid for as their first priority.

Apr 1, 2007 at 4:46 PM Post #73 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by F107plus5 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
First we have to assume they have an MRB.
tongue.gif

Are you kidding me ?, I don't think they have any idea what an MRB(Material Review Board) is nonetheless have one ! From what I can see now, it is no longer a molding problem, the injector pins are on the back of the fork, the side holes for the rivets are proberly drilled afterwards and I also notice some of the plastic is upsetted on the defect side due to some sort of pressure from a drilling jig or fixture. If my guess is right, they use a custom made pneumatic tool to stretch the forks to snap into the rivets on the cups

Apr 3, 2007 at 2:24 PM Post #74 of 76
My SR60s are a little rough in spots, not the best build quality. But my SR225s are quite decent (not perfect). I wouldn't worry too much about it (at least I don't) because I bought them for the sound not the looks.
smily_headphones1.gif

Users who are viewing this thread

Back