Sloppy Grado, Or Nitpicking?
Jan 3, 2007 at 8:38 PM Post #32 of 76
so yesterday, a day early, I received me 225's from TTVJ. they were brand new still sealed in the box. no problem there with all around excellent service from TTVJ!

yet me 225's have the same basic flaw on the left swivel of both driver mounts. when first seeing your pictures and then from a couple of the comments made it for sure looked like a stress crack to me as well. now seeing the flaw in me 225's swivel mount it very much looks like something happened in the molding process. mine appear to have double holes with the one off center being somewhat solid again with a little excess plastic around it. I dunno if somehow the mold was disturbed before the plastic was set or what giving it the double hole. they could have had a bad batch or possibly something going on with the molding process that hasn't been easy to fix. your pictures show that it's the left side of the swivel as well as on mine. this is consistent. your 2nd photo shows the double hole.

does Grado do the plastic moldings in house?

I use to know a guy who made resin kits in his garage for HO Railroad layouts. his stuff was quite crude compared to the larger companies but it was because of this that made his stuff much more appealing to have. I'm not saying this double hole issue is the same thing but if Grado do their moldings in house there could be some bumps and holes in the road we are not looking at.

my double hole issue does not seem to be that bad. disappointing yes but the hole that is being used is centered and working well. I can easily trim off the excess plastic.

I have been sick as a dog since I received them so after sleeping 20 hours I'm just now listening to them for about an hour. so far they sound good! q:O)

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #33 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by noseallinit /img/forum/go_quote.gif

does Grado do the plastic moldings in house?

I use to know a guy who made resin kits in his garage for HO Railroad layouts. his stuff was quite crude compared to some of the larger companies but it was because of this that made his stuff much more appealing to have. I'm not saying this double hole issue is the same thing but if Grado do their moldings in house there could be some bumps and holes in the road we are not looking at.

You've got a good point noseallinit. Sounds like it's something wrong with their injection process, or a particular mold. Problem with basic mold casting is that you'll get air bubbles if you don't either inject the plastic or metal under pressure/ or have the mold spin to evenly settle the material being poured. I just checked my 325is, which don't seem to have the same problems around the hinges(I got them used, but they can't be more then a few months old). Could be this particular mold.....looks like their quality control isn't picking it up
blink.gif

Jan 3, 2007 at 8:48 PM Post #34 of 76
Shoddy quality seems to keep cropping up with Grado products
eek.gif

Jan 6, 2007 at 12:02 AM Post #35 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by kontai69 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm thinking the plastic defect may be a recent fault in the molding process.

I can't be sure from the picture, but it looks like the holes were drilled. It looks like someone's sloppy work that they didn't bother to fix.

Jan 18, 2007 at 4:29 AM Post #38 of 76
My MS-1s have an indication of the same manufacturing concern, but it is no way creating a physical problem. That is the only thing unusual visible on my MS-1s. From a functional standpoint; I allowed my four Grandkids to play with the MS-1s for nearly four months, and if a bunch of kids ages five through twelve can't kill them....and Lord knows they tried!...then they can't be kilt!!

My MS-2i arrived in beautifully pristine and flawless condition! Fabulous!!

.......the kids aren't allowed within 20 meters of the darned things.....
very_evil_smiley.gif

Mar 12, 2007 at 10:02 PM Post #39 of 76
I have the same exact flaws on my two pairs of SR80s, its look like its done after the molding process either bad trimming or the die was damaged and they had to rework the part by hand.

For those who have taken apart the cups/driver, do you see if there are numbers on the back of them ? This could be certain die cavities have this problem and others do not.

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:47 AM Post #40 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by sean-xenos /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Grado quality control really sucks, how many times do we have to tell this Mr Grado ??

Really? I've never had any of these "defects" and I've bought at least 20 Grados since '94. Methinks a lot of people just like to complain about "defects" on other peoples headphones..

Mar 13, 2007 at 2:55 AM Post #41 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by Beagle /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Really? I've never had any of these "defects" and I've bought at least 20 Grados since '94. Methinks a lot of people just like to complain about "defects" on other peoples headphones..

nope I have them on my 225s as well. Its a problem. I think I'm gonna wait until they get a real problem before I send them in.

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:55 AM Post #42 of 76
I have them on my SR225, too. It's only on one side of each can...it's clearly just some missed trimming from the plastic mold. Remember when you built model airplanes as a kid and after removing each piece from the plastic retainer you had to trim off the knub...same thing...
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 3:59 AM Post #43 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by ecclesand /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have them on my SR225, too. It's only on one side of each can...it's clearly just some missed trimming from the plastic mold. Remember when you built model airplanes as a kid and after removing each piece from the plastic retainer you had to trim off the knub...same thing...
tongue.gif

So where do you find a Grado model kit? Maybe some of us could do a better job than Grado at assembling the kit.
wink.gif
tongue.gif

Mar 13, 2007 at 1:42 PM Post #45 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Examining my SR225s, I noticed something:

dsc00023qc5.jpg

dsc00027py3.jpg

I've owned several other Grados and never noticed anything like this before. Also the cord to the left earcup was pretty twisted when I received them too, more than I've ever noticed before. Is this just sloppy manufacturing on Grado's part or am I just nitpicking?

If I am correct that little protrusion is left over from the molding process. I have them on my Grados also.

If you bought them new from Grado, IMO you have a right to ask for a replacement. If you bought them used, you are nitpicking.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back