Sloppy Grado, Or Nitpicking?
Dec 21, 2006 at 6:22 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 76

cmirza

1000+ Head-Fier
Examining my SR225s, I noticed something:

dsc00023qc5.jpg

dsc00027py3.jpg

I've owned several other Grados and never noticed anything like this before. Also the cord to the left earcup was pretty twisted when I received them too, more than I've ever noticed before. Is this just sloppy manufacturing on Grado's part or am I just nitpicking?

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:31 AM Post #3 of 76
doesn't look like a big deal to me. there are other areas of the grado build that aren't great either. if you look at the bottom of the cups, there's a some plastic left over from where they cut the plastic tree off. every pair of grado/alessandro, which i've had, that uses a plastic housing seems to have it. i just used an xacto knife to clean it up. easier than having to go through the whole warranty process and besides, to me it doesn't detract from the sound.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:32 AM Post #4 of 76
Purely speculative, but that looks like stress damage and not a manufacturing defect.

I would send them back to the place you bought them for a replacement, and not to the manufacturer as a warranty repair.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:43 AM Post #5 of 76
Hmmm, I bought them from TTVJ. But they were packaged just in a slim Priority Mail box. I know that Grado's builds aren't always totally clean, but since I don't have any other Grados on hand to compare, I wanted to know if this is common or defect damage that I should have exchanged.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:53 AM Post #6 of 76
my sr225s are pretty similar to yours. it has that wierd plastic cutoff and mine had the SR225 button slightly off center, but i dont think its anything to ship it off to grado for.

Dec 21, 2006 at 6:55 AM Post #7 of 76
yuk.. take em back!! That top pic looks like the "C" plastic part is cracked half way through. A $200 headphone should not look like that.

Dec 21, 2006 at 9:01 AM Post #8 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by cmirza /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Hmmm, I bought them from TTVJ. But they were packaged just in a slim Priority Mail box. I know that Grado's builds aren't always totally clean, but since I don't have any other Grados on hand to compare, I wanted to know if this is common or defect damage that I should have exchanged.

I looked at my SR-225's and the pivot holes are clean, centered and without any gaps between the pin and plastic.

Did you perhaps buy this item as B Stock from TTVJ ?

Dec 21, 2006 at 9:50 AM Post #9 of 76
Quote:

Originally Posted by gmckay /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I looked at my SR-225's and the pivot holes are clean, centered and without any gaps between the pin and plastic.

Did you perhaps buy this item as B Stock from TTVJ ?

Nope, my HF-1s came the exact same way and those were brand new. Maybe Todd can arrange something with Grado so we can send it back? They don't seem to answer their emails.

Dec 21, 2006 at 2:12 PM Post #11 of 76
I'm surprised at some of the Grado mafiosi being so critical here. Shouldn't you be arguing that these flaws actually improve the sound somehow? Maybe a bad joint has some effect on reverberation, like a knot in the wood of a violin.

Dec 21, 2006 at 4:13 PM Post #12 of 76
"Shouldn't you be arguing that these flaws actually improve the sound somehow? Maybe a bad joint has some effect on reverberation, like a knot in the wood of a violin."

Give them a chance, no doubt soon the "fan boy/girls" will extolling the virtues of poor build quality and how a "boutique" manufacture can't be expected to do things right and still stay in business.

- augustwest

Dec 22, 2006 at 12:19 AM Post #13 of 76
cmirza: That doesn't look good to me - especially in the first picture, where the plastic looks liked it's already cracked. I've just compared with my SR80, too - no such flaws on that one. I'd suggest to ask for a replacement.

Greetings from Munich!

Manfred / lini

Dec 22, 2006 at 1:20 AM Post #14 of 76
My SR-60's came looking like that too. For my first Grado, I was not impressed. But I liked the sound. Whenever I order a headphone I now ask them to inspect the item for any blemishes. HeadRoom is really good about this.

Yeah - the plastics were all f'd up on my SR-60 but they seem to be no worse for the wear in any way. Very sturdy HP.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back