SlimDevices/Logitech SqueezeBox Owners
Jan 3, 2010 at 4:07 AM Post #61 of 92
I remember someone was asking of a replacement Logitech SB RC, I do have a spare stock and the back lit unit to go since I do not need to keep both after getting a Logitech Harmony 900 to go with my AV... Let me know if anyone needs a replacement.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:23 AM Post #62 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by IPodPJ /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm not sure how you guys are able to get your units to work without an internet connection being present, and by that I mean exactly what I said -- access to the web via your ISP.

From my understanding of the squeezebox, you do not need a Internet connection for the squeezebox to work. You just simply need a network connection. Whether it be wired or wireless. The device is designed to connect to a computer/server that stores your music files and be able to access them without being on your actual computer.

With the Touch, I believe you can just connect a HDD or flash drive to it via USB or by SD card and access the files from there.

Jan 3, 2010 at 4:26 AM Post #63 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by SemiAudiophile /img/forum/go_quote.gif
From my understanding of the squeezebox, you do not need a Internet connection for the squeezebox to work. You just simply need a network connection. Whether it be wired or wireless. The device is designed to connect to a computer/server that stores your music files and access them without being on your actual computer.

I didn't say you need it to get your music to play. I said you needed it to get your remote controller to control your library. This has been my experience and if there was anyway to avoid it I wish I would have known at the time. But now that I have the Transporter it's a moot point since I can control it from the front of the unit anyway if the iPeng isn't working. However I would like to know how to get iPeng to work without an internet connection, if anyone can tell me.

Jan 3, 2010 at 5:26 AM Post #66 of 92
A couple of points:
As long as you have a home ethernet or 802.11 (wifi) network up and running, the Slim Devices/Logitech devices can be addressed by the Squeeze Box Server (the player) and as has been pointed out, it doesn't necessarily need to be loaded onto a PC. The music files can be located elsewhere as well.
One thing that I have found is that by running this system in a wired configuration, the WiFi card on the SB devices can be powered off during configuration and the electrical noise that the card generated is saved. This also results in a nice improvement in sound quality. The elimination of the wall wart SMPS by replacing it w/ linear, regulated PS is IMO the largest single improvement. Its not a subtle improvement but the official line over on the Slim Devices forum is to deny this rather obvious fact.
During the ripping process, access to the internet allows Exact Audio Copy or dBpoweramp, access to several online databases like freeDb and AccurateRip, to compare with to check the accuracy of your ripped music files. I prefer to rip to flac as its native in Slim Devices and allows easy metadata tagging for use down the line, when you may need to move these files around.
The Transporter's biggest advantage over the less expensive SB products, is its ability to decode HiDef formats up to 24/96. The upcoming Touch will also allow this resolution at a bargain price.
I personally only have Red Book rips @16/44.1 but w/ Hidef files becoming more common, I will eventually have to upgrade.
I also believe that just about everything affects sound quality. I also have my SB3s' digital outputs significantly. modded. Reports of the Touch beta tests are that its SPDIF output is excellent in stock trim, if it ever goes on sale. While there is a mini version of the player software onboard the Touch, I still believe that getting the mechanical and electrical noise of a HDD away from the listening environment is a better solution. SS drives, while quiet are too expensive and small to be a consideration yet.

Jan 8, 2010 at 7:46 PM Post #67 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The elimination of the wall wart SMPS by replacing it w/ linear, regulated PS is IMO the largest single improvement. Its not a subtle improvement but the official line over on the Slim Devices forum is to deny this rather obvious fact.

Good point. A couple of posts on Slim Devices forum argues that no improvement over digital outputs is technically possible, discouraging from investing into PSU upgrage. However, experience is quite to the contrary.
biggrin.gif

I have just replaced the default, switching stock PSU with a linear one (although not dedicated-audiophile gear like Bolder) and the improvement is evident also on SPDIF. Tonal balance and sound signature are unchanged, but the sound becomes more analytical. I'd describe it as better separation and improved control over sonic background and details. In fact I am curious, what are your impressions? How exactly did linear PSU affect digital output?

Quote:

Originally Posted by lcrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Transporter's biggest advantage over the less expensive SB products, is its ability to decode HiDef formats up to 24/96.

Well, only that? Stereophile review states that Transporter is a worthy upgrade even from SB3 driving a $1000 DAC. Would you agree?

Finally, I have a question to all forum members who had an opportunity to compare stock Transporter with Dan Wright's Truth-modded version: how big is the difference? is there any improvement other than adding tube-alike signature? The reason I am asking is that in the past, my experience was that tubes aren't exactly good for electronic music (which is about 80% of my listening); transistor-based amps always did a better job here. Is the modded Transporter suitable for such needs? Many thanks!

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:22 PM Post #68 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by axw /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good point. A couple of posts on Slim Devices forum argues that no improvement over digital outputs is technically possible, discouraging from investing into PSU upgrage. However, experience is quite to the contrary.
biggrin.gif

I have just replaced the default, switching stock PSU with a linear one (although not dedicated-audiophile gear like Bolder) and the improvement is evident also on SPDIF. Tonal balance and sound signature are unchanged, but the sound becomes more analytical. I'd describe it as better separation and improved control over sonic background and details. In fact I am curious, what are your impressions? How exactly did linear PSU affect digital output?

I invested on a Welborne Labs PSU upgrade for my SB3 and improvement are rather significant. I can hear better separations on instruments and much tighter bass control. That was far better than the stock switching PSU.

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:27 PM Post #69 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I invested on a Welborne Labs PSU upgrade for my SB3 and improvement are rather significant. I can hear better separations on instruments and much tighter bass control. That was far better than the stock switching PSU.

Ugh you guys really annoy me
icon10.gif
While I am in the camp that a better PSU for it "should" not improve the Squeezebox's digital output particularly because the device has internal switching supplies. I am now going to have to build a Sigma25 just to prove to myself that I am right
beerchug.gif

Jan 8, 2010 at 8:45 PM Post #70 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by m1abrams /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Ugh you guys really annoy me
icon10.gif
While I am in the camp that a better PSU for it "should" not improve the Squeezebox's digital output particularly because the device has internal switching supplies. I am now going to have to build a Sigma25 just to prove to myself that I am right
beerchug.gif

Do let us know your findings... Maybe the placebo effect is stronger at our end... Cheers.

Jan 8, 2010 at 9:53 PM Post #71 of 92
I might also do some testing. I'm a big believer in viewing diffs in audio test programs like rmaa. even jitter is supposed to *show up* as some kind of delta on the various graphs. ie, if there is an audible change, it *has* to show up as some kind of diff. no diff = no audio change.

I would easily accept that better PS = better audio for analog. I'm specious about it on the digital side, though. but if the graphs showed a delta, I'd then believe it (but not until then).

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:48 AM Post #72 of 92
I would love to see this proven as well. I guess I wouldn't be surprised to see it be true, but it seems like a lot of money to lay down to improve the power supply for what is basically a SPDIF funnel to my DAC... I've been sorely tempted to buy one of these and try it with my own ears, but as I said, it's a lot of money...

Jan 9, 2010 at 5:44 AM Post #73 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by linuxworks /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I might also do some testing. I'm a big believer in viewing diffs in audio test programs like rmaa. even jitter is supposed to *show up* as some kind of delta on the various graphs. ie, if there is an audible change, it *has* to show up as some kind of diff. no diff = no audio change.

I would easily accept that better PS = better audio for analog. I'm specious about it on the digital side, though. but if the graphs showed a delta, I'd then believe it (but not until then).

A possible explanation for better digital-out with cleaner power out is this: all you want to sent over that line is the digital signal, but if the device adds PSU-generated noise over the S/PDIF line, that noise, unrelated to the digital signal, might upset the receiving DAC.
You could even take things further and hypothese that noise does not even have to reach other parts of your chain by the connected digital cable, but through the mains or even through the ether.
How audible that is is a matter of experimenting, but theorising "digital = digital therefore noise is irrelevant and audible difference therefore must be imaginary" (an often heart logic on this board) is too simple I think.
Measuring jitter in the digital out will not reveal the possible detrimental efffects on the audible signal at the end of the chain caused by the noise added by the stock PSU either, since the noise is not imbedded in the digital signal but exist alongside of it.
In the end, the best thing to do to determine wether or not a cleaner PSU makes a difference is to use your ears.

Jan 9, 2010 at 1:40 PM Post #74 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
A possible explanation for better digital-out with cleaner power out is this: all you want to sent over that line is the digital signal, but if the device adds PSU-generated noise over the S/PDIF line, that noise, unrelated to the digital signal, might upset the receiving DAC.
You could even take things further and hypothese that noise does not even have to reach other parts of your chain by the connected digital cable, but through the mains or even through the ether.
How audible that is is a matter of experimenting, but theorising "digital = digital therefore noise is irrelevant and audible difference therefore must be imaginary" (an often heart logic on this board) is too simple I think.
Measuring jitter in the digital out will not reveal the possible detrimental efffects on the audible signal at the end of the chain caused by the noise added by the stock PSU either, since the noise is not imbedded in the digital signal but exist alongside of it.
In the end, the best thing to do to determine wether or not a cleaner PSU makes a difference is to use your ears.

That would have to be either some serious amounts of noise or you have a very poor DAC to affect the digital signal.

Now noise can affect the clock and cause jitter, but my reason for saying that for the SQUEEZEBOX device upgrading the PSU would most likely not affect it is because it has internal switching power supplies this really puts a damper on how much and external power supply can affect the the internal power of the device.

Jan 9, 2010 at 2:27 PM Post #75 of 92
I read at the slim devices forum that the PSU of f.i. the squeezebox classicdoes indeed generate a lot of noise.
I understand that noise can also destabilise the feedback circuit of amp stages, of which there are usually at least 2 or 3 in a chain.

The actual results on the sound should be tried; my point is simply that theorising, though necessary, does not always correctly predict actual behavior because of unforseen factors.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back