SlimDevices/Logitech SqueezeBox Owners
Aug 7, 2009 at 12:34 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 92

OutdoorXplorer

1000+ Head-Fier
I received the SB Classic during late June 2009 to replaced the iPod Classic 160GB. SB3 is a much better source in comparison with the latter especially with an external DAC in place. I didn't opt for a Transporter in view its price and available funds.

I read up many reviews/comments/feedbacks in regards to a power supply upgrade for the SB3 and it took me a month to pulled the trigger for a Welborne Labs SB3 Power Supply Upgrade Kit with factory assemble and test option included. I initially find it hard to justify as the cost for a PSU upgrade is almost near to the price of a SB3. I grabbed it while Welborne Labs having a sale with a 20% discount.

I am hearing huge improvement even with SB3's Digital out to Paradisea 3, the background is much darker with increase in dynamics, much more details, soundstage open even further. The midrange is better controlled with tighter bass. The impression is based on the PSU upgrade which has just break-in for approx 2 hours. It believe it will sound even more awesome after 50 hours or more. I did comparison against the SB3 stock switching PS is nowhere near the PSU upgrade. I am connivence now....

To all SqueezeBox owners out there, feel free to post your impressions here for any tweaks you have done to your SlimDevices/Logitech SqueezeBox products.

Nov 22, 2009 at 5:38 AM Post #3 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by OutdoorXplorer /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Anyone have SB Touch on the wishlist? I am awaiting its official specification and shopping for a after market PSU to be used with Touch.

Me!
I got a SB Classic since a few weeks and love its ergonomics. The sound is horrible but one day customs will set my ordered MHDT Havana free to come home.
But I would like a touch with a local HD (that I can manage through the touch wifi and also use for the video player).
To return to the OP: be warned, power supply demands for the Touch are different then that for the Classic.

Nov 22, 2009 at 6:02 AM Post #4 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by dura /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Me!
I got a SB Classic since a few weeks and love its ergonomics. The sound is horrible but one day customs will set my ordered MHDT Havana free to come home.
But I would like a touch with a local HD (that I can manage through the touch wifi and also use for the video player).
To return to the OP: be warned, power supply demands for the Touch are different then that for the Classic.

I am still awaiting the official power requirement for Touch and I am aware that Classic requires only 5 Vac 2A. I hope my present Welborne Labs PSU is sufficient to supply the power for Touch otherwise I may have to upgrade its transformer.

Classic to Havana is an awesome combination and I am having a WE396A and HiFi Tuning fuses on order now. Wait and hear the improvements.

Nov 22, 2009 at 7:45 PM Post #5 of 92
The Touch required a 5 volt power supply during beta testing. Doubtful this will change

Why would anyone want to put both the mechanical and electronic noise of a HDD near the playback system. One of the advantages of SqueezeBox technology is to put music storage elsewhere.

Nov 22, 2009 at 9:50 PM Post #6 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by lcrim /img/forum/go_quote.gif
The Touch required a 5 volt power supply during beta testing. Doubtful this will change

Why would anyone want to put both the mechanical and electronic noise of a HDD near the playback system. One of the advantages of SqueezeBox technology is to put music storage elsewhere.

The SB Classic gives me occasional dropouts. Might have someything to do with my provider, or interefernce on the wiofi, I don't know, but a little portable HD seems great to me (a lot of music in FLAC on a humble .6 TB).
I use it on my Western Digital HD TV too, no sign of noise, sound and picture are clean.

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:04 PM Post #7 of 92
Quote:

The SB Classic gives me occasional dropouts. Might have someything to do with my provider, or interefernce on the wiofi, I don't know, but a little portable HD seems great to me (a lot of music in FLAC on a humble .6 TB).
I use it on my Western Digital HD TV too, no sign of noise, sound and picture are clean.

Mine used to drop out when the microwave was on so I moved Squeezy to a different port and now no more dropouts
atsmile.gif

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:09 PM Post #8 of 92
Could be something like that Soozieq.
I'll pay attention.
But I still would prefer a local HD, my PC uses a lot of power, and I prefer not having it on 24/7 (I feel the need to hear music on the weirdest moments
wink.gif
)

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:35 PM Post #9 of 92
Quote:

Could be something like that Soozieq.
I'll pay attention.
But I still would prefer a local HD, my PC uses a lot of power, and I prefer not having it on 24/7 (I feel the need to hear music on the weirdest moments
wink.gif
)

My PC is upstairs out of the way and not online all the time.

I put it into sleep mode and have the Squeezy wake it up when I want to listen to music
smily_headphones1.gif

I quite fancy one of these though...

Buffalo LinkStation Live 500GB MultiMedia Network: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Nov 22, 2009 at 10:40 PM Post #11 of 92
Quote:

Originally Posted by soozieq /img/forum/go_quote.gif

I quite fancy one of these though...

Buffalo LinkStation Live 500GB MultiMedia Network: Amazon.co.uk: Electronics & Photo

Nice price. Do you think that thing can run Slimserver?
My PC is too close to my living room; if I leave it on I'm drawn to it too often; check my mail, check the news, read forums, surf around...afterwards I often feel like I'm wasting my time, so I made it a discipline to turn it off.

You know what I would like? A mediaplayer like the Squeezebox that also plays video files. It seems impossible to find a decent media player that plays video and does audio without having to turn on the tv. Something like the popcorn hour c200; you can build in a HD, a BD-player, wifi etc. The possibilities of a HTPC without the slow start-up times and all the programs that need managing. Sadly the c200 seems to have to rudimentair audio control using only its built in display.
Ah well, no doubt it will come, next year or so.

Nov 23, 2009 at 7:54 AM Post #13 of 92
I love your sign, my favorite LC-quote!
(although "I ache in the places that I used to play" comes close
wink.gif
)

The Sheeva could run Squeezecentre, then add some memory...it's a work around for getting Touchlike functionality. Interesting, especially since it seems the Touch is not going to be available this year.

But if I woulds add a computer I'd probably go for this one: ASRock > Products > NetTop Series > ION 330HT-BD and use that as videomediaplayer/BD-player, since my tv is close to my hifi.

Nov 23, 2009 at 2:13 PM Post #15 of 92
I will send my Duet for modding next month and I will post something when it done.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back