Slightly Confused About AKG K701 Amping?
Sep 9, 2010 at 8:16 PM Thread Starter Post #1 of 8

bloosnail11

New Head-Fier
Currently, I am using a uDAC-1 with AKG K701s. Personally, I think it sounds very good but after reading on here it seems that I am nowhere near using the K701s to their potential. This makes me sad. As of now, I'm stuck between two choices for the next step:

1. Selling uDAC and buying Tube Magic D1
2. Using uDAC as a source and buying Matrix M-Stage as a preamp

If there are any other possible choices, I would be glad to hear them. I'm a bit short on cash, so buying the Matrix M-Stage is already pulling my budget a bit. 

Also, how exactly do I connect the uDAC to my computer through S/PDIF, Coaxial, RCA, Line-in... I don't even know what they all are/called. If someone could clear that up that would be a big help.  My computer's sound card only has 3.5mm jacks. 

Any help is appreciated! 
smile_phones.gif

Sep 11, 2010 at 4:20 AM Post #4 of 8
Thats what I have right now for my K-702's(same as k701 just with removable plug and color swap) 

I use the maverick audio D1 solid state output  to an M-Stage. 

The D1's headphone amp is not that good with the K-702's imo.  It also hiss's and pops at certain volume levels.  The DAC Is fine though :wink:.

Sep 11, 2010 at 12:49 PM Post #5 of 8
How about using the uDAC as a source and using the M-Stage for the amp? Basically what I'm asking is: how does the uDAC's DAC compare to the Tube Magic D1's DAC? Also, I have the uDAC connected by USB right now and I was wondering how I would connect it using the line in.

Sep 11, 2010 at 5:15 PM Post #6 of 8

First find out if you can disable any kind of volume modulation when outputting via the Red/White output jacks on the back of the uDac.  If you can I would say the amp would be the better way to go even if the uDac is not the best dac in the world.  Only on the basis that you have better control with headphones.

If you can't go with the dac, the maverick has the same USB limitations as the uDac though.  So you might be looking for a better transport down the line.  While the headphone amp section of the mav is not the greatest, its not terrible especially if its your first.  The DAC capabilities of the maverick I am pretty sure beats the uDac but take that with a grain of salt as I don't own a uDac.  On another note the new mavericks offer better volume control than the first gen's(like mines) due to less gain.
Quote:
How about using the uDAC as a source and using the M-Stage for the amp? Basically what I'm asking is: how does the uDAC's DAC compare to the Tube Magic D1's DAC? Also, I have the uDAC connected by USB right now and I was wondering how I would connect it using the line in.

Sep 11, 2010 at 8:21 PM Post #7 of 8

IIRC the RCA on the uDAC are line in, so no volume modulation, I think. And the Tube Magic has optical but my sound card doesn't, so if I used an adapter I would still be getting optical quality, correct? Sorry, I'm somewhat of a cable noob.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back