Sleek-Audio SA6 appreciation thread
Sep 11, 2008 at 7:06 AM Post #16 of 40
I've been using my new Sleeks non-stop for around 24 hours now and am becoming convinced they are one of the best canalphones on the market. I thoroughly love the sound quality with the (T++/B=) setup. The sound is so smooth and clear, there isn't anything piercing about the highs.

I know there's always acclimation with any canalphone that is used for extended periods but these just sound so super high quality. Such an involving and mellow, relaxing, clear, crisp detailed and dynamic sound. I don't think the dynamic of sound matches the Triples or X10s but it is close. The overall quality of sound is a bit more preferred than the X10s and Triples. The treble seems smoother than the Triples. The X10s have a warmer sound but are as smooth as these sweethearts. The mids and highs aren't as forward as the X10s or Triples but it's very minimal in difference.

As well known and significant as the Shures, Ultimate Ears, Westones, Klipsch and other ultra high-end canalphones are for their quality of sound, these Sleeks belong right there among them; would be right at home with the list of the ultra high-end brands.

As for durability, what I see with mine is as durable as any of the others I have, including the Klipsch, UE, Shure and such, but from poster comments they can stand improvement. In my opinion Sleek-Audio did an outstanding job of fully designing these Chinese made canalphones and should be awarded with high industry recognition.

Sleek-Audio has introduced a very innovative design in these canalphones with the upgradeable parts and that outstanding earphone connector.

Two thumbs up
Five stars
Two high fives

Whatever top award symbol you would give a company and its product for outstanding effort, that's what should be given to Sleek-Audio and the SA6.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:21 PM Post #17 of 40
I've had my SA6s for a while. They are hands down the most comfortable and best sounding IEMs I've owned. They are well worth the money. Using the bass + and treble +, they sound amazing unamped out of my Zune 80. Also, Sleek's customer service is top notch. Had a cable issue and Jason sent out a new one as we spoke on the phone. Can't ask for better.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:27 PM Post #18 of 40
Is there anyone out there using Sleeks who has had prior problems with the fit of bi-flanges? That is my concern. The CX300's and RE2's fit me fine with the large single flange, but I've never found a good fit with bi-flanges.

Sep 11, 2008 at 1:44 PM Post #19 of 40
I've had my SA6's for a good while now so I'll chip in!
tongue.gif

Most has already been said, one way or another. The size, the customisability, the comfort, the modabilty, the SQ, the second to none (literally) customer service of the manufacturer, the wireless functionality around the bend, replaceable cables....what more is there to say! Fantastic IEM. I had slight quibbles, sonically, with regards to the SE530's and triplefi 10's I also own- concerning bass quantity and sound definition and instruement separation-, however, I have been with it for such a while now, I was loathe to forget I had a faulty cable! The problem was a coming away at the Y-joint of the primary cable ie pre-bifurcation so the underlying wire was exposed. I solved this in the interim by simply pushing the cable back in at the Y-joint and then selloptaping it in position as a temporay messure to carry on using my SA6 whilst waiting for the replacement cable. Long story short, this took a long time to finally arrive with me. In that time, I never considered that using my SA6 with a cble in this condition may have been having a negative affect on the sound quality my SA6 were producing! I dunno why? Maybe because any detraction or loss of SQ was reasonably subtle and I didn't notice it when I first patched up the cable and so never considered it from that point on. That, or sleeks latest line of modified and tweaked cables are bolstering the SQ, but these little beauties are freakin amazin me atm! Clear as crystal! Different in sonic signature, but now edging on par with my other two (3 driver) IEM's! I'm gona have to side-test later before I can confirm this thought and come to any conclusions but right now I'm just content to sit back and enjoy a rejuvenated SA6 listening experience
icon10.gif

Sep 11, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #21 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by tstarn06 /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Good for you. Glad the Sleeks are now up to snuff.

Aye. Suffice to say, I'm very pleasently surprised.
biggrin.gif
And here I was half-considering selling on my SA6....

Dec 19, 2008 at 6:05 PM Post #22 of 40
Mine should be arriving today
smily_headphones1.gif

first impressions later....

Dec 19, 2008 at 7:38 PM Post #23 of 40
I just got them 15 minutes ago.
judging from the first impressions I'm impressed... REALLY impressed. I haven't swaped tips yet since I have a few errands I've gotta run today. so you can bet I'll be using these SA6's today
smily_headphones1.gif

even with the stockers I find the bass is alot like my dt880s not too much or little... just about flat.I'm glad I got these over the we3's I was considering. these fill my ears with a ton of good sounding music.

I'm litening to Cary Brothers - Ride (tiesto remix) now and am amazed at how well the bass and everything is coming through on this song.
The silicone tips IMHO are fairly comfy, but I've gotta get some better tips because these are kinda hard to get used to. complys soon to come I think :)

Dec 26, 2008 at 1:51 PM Post #24 of 40
Hi there,

I just received my SA6 yesterday and while they are very nice so far in many respects, there seems to be a kind of veil on the sound (i.e. sound is quite muffled), even compared to my earlier CX300. I assume this should not be the case at all (and I even bought the SA6 to get rid of the CX300 muffled sound and get a lot of clarity). Unless this is a characteristic of all IEMs?

Anyway, I am just wondering if this does not come from the silicone tips that are provided with the SA6. I am using the medium tips which seem a bit big for my ears. The smaller ones however feel too small. I used the small one on my CX300, which were perfect.

Any idea of where the problem comes from? If this is from the tips, what would you recommend using among Shure black foams and Comply T-100 foams?

Many many thanks

S.

Dec 26, 2008 at 2:21 PM Post #25 of 40
Just to clarify, this muffled sound with the EQ of my iPod set to "off". Seems much better with the treble booster but the aim should rather be to get a great sound without using the iPod's EQ, right?

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:29 PM Post #28 of 40
I know CX300 is a bit harsh which could be the reason you might think SA6 is veil in comparison. First, I'll suggest you removed the Bass+ port and do a quick listening session to see if it is still veil. If the veil is gone, I'll suggest you do the pinhole mod on the Bass+ port. If not, just put the Bass+ back. Second, SA6 is one of the very rare balanced armature IEM that I think need some burn-in. Just play regular music on your normal listening volume for 50hrs (you can listen to it while you at it) and see if it helps.

Dec 26, 2008 at 3:45 PM Post #29 of 40
Many thanks for your answer. I'll burn it in for longer than the 10 hours it has played so far.

I am just starting to wonder if if simply do not use the SA6 incorrectly. The small tips seemed too small but presumably they need to go deeper in my ears than those of the CX300. The medium tips would on the contrary go less deep than the CX300. Would that explain it all?

Dec 26, 2008 at 4:06 PM Post #30 of 40
The best eartips to use is the one that give you most comfort while able to fully seal your ear canal. It only need to go as deep as to give a full seal and no more. When it is not fully sealed, the earpieces will fall out easily or you might notice the bass is less.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back