Sleek-Audio SA6 appreciation thread
Sep 10, 2008 at 12:12 AM Thread Starter Post #1 of 40

lewislink

Banned
Just received these from SoundEarphone.com today but already I have a very high appreciation for them and felt they should have an "appreciation thread" going on for them.

They are a modular type of canalphone where you can physically alter the sound quality with various inserts to suit your desired auditory response.

The front part of the phone, where the sleeve or foam attaches, is removable and there are differing replacements that alter the treble. At the back end of the phone are bass plugs that can be removed and replaced with various others to alter the bass quality.

The cords are very unique. They are removable but what differentiates them from many other removable style cords is the connector. These have a round style connector that is like the power plug of many low voltage portable devices. Wall socket power adapters use a similar type of connector. I love this idea for a cord connection because it allows the cord to rotate or swivel.

So far the only change I've made to the stock, factory setup is changing out the treble tubes for the "+" one. There are 2 "+" and 2 "-" that come with the package. However, mine came with a bonus "Extended frequency" set. I haven't changed out any of the bass plugs yet because I'm perfectly satisfied with what I'm hearing right now. However, the package comes with 2 "Bass +" and 2 "Bass -" plugs.

I've only been listening with them for a few hours now but can safely say I'm very impressed with their sound quality. Especially after switching out the Treble tubes. It wasn't very difficult to do but I was very cautious because of reports that these little phones have a tendency to crack and such. I used the included tool to pull the Treble tubes out and put the first one back in with the tool. The tool won't push the tube all the way in to where it is fully seated so I pressed on the tip of the tube to where it moved one notch further, fully seating it. The other I simply pressed in with my fingers, being careful to press perfectly straight and inline with the phone body.

More to come

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:02 AM Post #2 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by lewislink /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I have a very high appreciation for them and felt they should have an "appreciation thread" going on for them.

So true. How did we go this long without an official SA6 Appreciation Thread? Some very special earphones indeed.

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:11 AM Post #3 of 40
Here here! Im sitting here with them in my ears as I type and Im enjoying them immensly. My Sure SE530 are safe in their box (I do love them also). I just wish they were a bit more durable but other then that the everything is fine. Customer service is second to none!

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:26 AM Post #4 of 40
I'm appreciating mine right now.

I also agree that they could be a little more durable... The chrome piece on my left driver has come loose. I'm sure I can fix it with a little glue though. Also I'm worried about changing the treble tips too much for fear of breaking the driver housing (as per the post in the sleek forum).

The sound however is fantastic. I've currently settled on the Bass+ (pin modded) and treble++ combo for my metal/rock music.

Using them out of my Cowon D2 unamped the sound is brilliant. Still trying to determine weather my Xin amp helps things out (I think it helps soundstage a little and bass punch).

I can't imagine swapping these for anything else any time soon!

Well done Sleek Audio!!

Paul

Sep 10, 2008 at 1:45 AM Post #5 of 40
I am really considering buying a pair myself.

I currently own the ATH-CK7s.

I don't want to spend more than $200.

I am also looking at...

UE Super.fi 5s ($150)
Jays Q-Jays ($180)
UE Super.fi 5 Pros ($190)

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:24 AM Post #6 of 40
Here to show my appreciation for the SA6, and Jason and Sleek Audio for their excellent custom service.

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:50 AM Post #7 of 40
Quote:

Originally Posted by Spadge /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I'm appreciating mine right now.
The sound however is fantastic. I've currently settled on the Bass+ (pin modded) and treble++ combo for my metal/rock music.
Paul

What do you mean by "treble++"? Are you referring to using both treble+ tubes or are there more than what come with the package?

Mine came with 2 treble+, 2 treble-, 2 bass+ and 2 bass-. It also came with a bonus of 2 Extended Frequency treble tubes. Are there more than these?

Sep 10, 2008 at 2:57 AM Post #8 of 40
I am using the 2 extended frequency treble tubes...

Thought they were called treble++

Sorry for any confusion

Paul

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:06 AM Post #9 of 40
Quote:

I am using the 2 extended frequency treble tubes...

Thought they were called treble++

Sorry for any confusion

Paul

No, it's no problem. Being new to these great canalphones, I didn't know if there were other pieces available or not. I was going to ask you for a link to get them. I didn't find any additional ones on the Sleek website.

Sep 10, 2008 at 3:13 PM Post #13 of 40
Another very happy SA6 owner here. I've only had them for a little over a week, but I can say for certain that they are an upgrade from my Super.fi 5 pro's and I even prefer them to my ATH-A900's.

I just got comply tips in the mail yesterday and now they are SUPER comfortable. Even though the silicon tips included with the SA6's are comfortable, nothing beats foam times for long listening periods. No matter what silicon tip I use (sony, Ety triple flange, and UE tips, etc), I eventually get the "IEM itch" and need to take them out and put them back in.

The sound quality is amazing and a big contrast to the Super.fi's. I thoroughly enjoy the much more defined and pronounced mids (in comparison).

My only concern is durability. Only time will tell how these will hold up, but so far so good.

I couldn't be more satisfied with my purchase. Easily worth the price of admission and then some. The fact that they are commonly compared to Triple.fi's and SE530's is testament to the quality of the sound. Even at 90% of these other 2 IEM's sound quality, it's a bargain at 50% of the price.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:00 AM Post #14 of 40
Quote:

The chrome piece on my left driver has come loose.

I've currently settled on the Bass+ (pin modded) and treble++ combo for my metal/rock music.

Using them out of my Cowon D2 unamped

Wow, exactly like me. Cowon D2 unamped, modded bass +, treble ++, and loose chrome piece on left driver. I accidently did it myself switching treble tubes in the dark a day or two after getting them. I didn't check carefully enough to see how the treble tube was and accidently started putting in backwards. I love these things especially after coming from Sennheiser CX300's.

The only thing I disslike is the cable. I think it could have been made more durable for those like me who listen to them everywhere and like to wrap them around our DMP's. Within my first week of having them the y split to the left driver became faulty and the day I got replacement cable from Jason the cable loosed itself from the y split. I decided to try wrapping one of the new cables around my D2 to see if I just had a faulty cable or not and it lossed itself at the y split as well. So now I am on my third cable and have not done that since and it has held up quite well.

When I can get out by my step dad's house he will look at the cable and see if it would be possible to make a new one. If it is, I will be parts and he will help me make a new cable for it that would be very sturdy. I should mention my step dad is an audiophile although it won't admit it. He has made all the cables for his stereo. He doesn't keep up with what is good or not because he takes good care of his equipment and it stays good for a long time. Like is AKG cans, he bought them in June '88 for just under $100 (I know because he still has the orignal box and original receipt because he is also a major packrat). He has Legacy speakers for his stereo which sound amazing, but a bit bass heavy and sibilant with clean blues.

Sep 11, 2008 at 4:17 AM Post #15 of 40
Had to chime in, being one of the early adopters of these phones (but not before Kees, elnero and others touted them). Now that I have both the Sleeks and the X10s, I am in universal IEM heaven. No need to buy the SE530 or Triple.Fi in my view. I am a happy camper with both the Sleeks and the X10s. And I use them both (alternate sometimes, a different one each week). Best IEM value in my view. Again, durability is still an issue, but with Sleek's customer service, and the two-year warranty, not too worrisome. They "get it" down in Bradenton, Fla.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back