Slammin' BASS
Jan 29, 2007 at 11:41 PM Post #46 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by GreatDane /img/forum/go_quote.gif
I've tried using the Big Bottom processor on the Aphex 204 on my Darth Beyers but there's already plenty of bass unless the recording is very thin sounding. I've finally concluded that covering one of the two holes on each cup sounds best to me, all holes plugged made the bass seem distant too often.

Your comment about the vocals distorting is not common with my modded DT-770. Could there be such a thing as doppler distortion with headphones??? - with loudspeakers that description could be classified as such.

Does a lot of bass ever distort the vocals? It only happens whenI EQ it. Maybe I am EQing it wrong.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:53 PM Post #47 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by jaisin /img/forum/go_quote.gif
Does a lot of bass ever distort the vocals? It only happens whenI EQ it. Maybe I am EQing it wrong.

If you're boosting the bass, then yeah it's gonna distort. Lower the other frequencies rather than raising the ones you want higher.

Jan 29, 2007 at 11:55 PM Post #48 of 56
Quote:

I mostly use my DT-770 with my Porta Corda and Central Station. Neither amp is connected to my processor so I don't use bass enhancement with them often...for that I'd use my tube amp which doesn't sound as good with the 770 as those SS options.

With no EQ using my SS amps, even with very bass heavy music like Infected Mushroom for instance, I've never heard any unwanted effects from the brain crushing bass that's present in the recordings.

I don't think it could be that your amp is at fault since I'm betting that it can drive the crap out of them.
icon10.gif

What are you using to EQ?

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:37 AM Post #49 of 56
Quote:

I mostly use my DT-770 with my Porta Corda and Central Station. Neither amp is connected to my processor so I don't use bass enhancement with them often...for that I'd use my tube amp which doesn't sound as good with the 770 as those SS options.

With no EQ using my SS amps, even with very bass heavy music like Infected Mushroom for instance, I've never heard any unwanted effects from the brain crushing bass that's present in the recordings.

I don't think it could be that your amp is at fault since I'm betting that it can drive the crap out of them.
icon10.gif

What are you using to EQ?

iTunes lol.

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:49 AM Post #51 of 56
Quote:

[size=medium]D'OH[/size]

Is that bad?

Jan 30, 2007 at 12:59 AM Post #52 of 56
Quote:

Is that bad?

icon10.gif

I prefer hardware EQ but then again I've never gotten serious with the better software options. I've only briefly used iTunes for 2 hours when I was helping a friend get his iPod set up.

As Fitz mentions, don't boost frequencies above 0 dB, rather cut the bands that you would leave flat in relation.

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:10 AM Post #53 of 56
Quote:

icon10.gif

I prefer hardware EQ but then again I've never gotten serious with the better software options. I've only briefly used iTunes for 2 hours when I was helping a friend get his iPod set up.

As Fitz mentions, don't boost frequencies above 0 dB, rather cut the bands that you would leave flat in relation.

I probably won't EQ at all cause it just give me a headache.

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #54 of 56
What kind of bass is it? Do these put out higher volume of sub-basses? I'm getting pretty sick of hearing exagerated mid-basses....

Jan 30, 2007 at 1:59 AM Post #55 of 56
Quote:

I probably won't EQ at all cause it just give me a headache.

Yea, headaches are a good thing to avoid.
biggrin.gif
biggrin.gif

Jan 30, 2007 at 2:17 AM Post #56 of 56
Quote:

Originally Posted by kloan /img/forum/go_quote.gif
What kind of bass is it? Do these put out higher volume of sub-basses? I'm getting pretty sick of hearing exagerated mid-basses....

Well, When I EQ it, I only boost 32 and 64. I don't really mess with 125 or up.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back